Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Laine’s usage and the amount of ice time he gets, partly due to his contract and his own personal opinions on what he’s deserved, is the main aspect and reason that he is a “cap dump” and a negative asset to an NHL hockey team.

How does Laine handle other younger -BETTER- players getting ice time and opportunities over him?? The CBJ team is a better hockey team by simply giving Yegor Chinakhov every minute/opportunity and SHOT, that Laine has been given, and taken the last few years.

Both of the current CBJ or MTL teams are bad teams for Laine. He would only flourish on a team already established and built properly and with extreme depth, just needing an extra scoring boost, that could withstand the negative aspects he brings to the ice and locker room. How will/would Laine handle being on the 2nd line/PP unit, even if that’s where he deserves to be?

Ok, hypothetical situation, I know, let’s just say Laine doesn’t play good to start the year and Montreal is losing games and Laine comes out with some questionable comments to Montreal media??

Like, you guys understand this isn’t fantasy hockey right?? It’s much more complex and nuanced than just looking at the points, as if it’s either simply an added 30-40 goals, and/or without them there’s no possible negative impact on the team, or other players.

I’ve literally had to battle with a huge CBJ fan contingent the last few years who looked at things the same way, BLINDED by Laine’s admittedly good shot and overall the concept of “skill”, while at the same time being completely NAIVE to the negativity he can, and what had now been proven, HE WAS BRINGING to the CBJ locker room.

$8.7 million dollar headache.

Chinakhov with more goals this year, and every year moving forward.
Pretty bold opinions I hope you are correct for your sake.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
This whole thread needs Jesus at this point...dear god...this has just straight turned into a flame war and why its still open I am confused and astounded by.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Then why did you use a cap relief calculator for a player who has barely played due to injury in the last few years?

That's what's going to determine his "value", not some calculator basing it's evaluation on the fact he played 18 games last year :rolleyes:

I used it as a baseline to show what the amount of dead cap would be valued at, then my post added additional context for you to interpret the purpose of including that number.

This whole thread needs Jesus at this point...dear god...this has just straight turned into a flame war and why its still open I am confused and astounded by.

There is a very strange level of sensitivity with the topic.

You can come in here and say this is a good trade, and you get told you're coping and you have no respeckt.

Reactions: thebus88

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Laine’s usage and the amount of ice time he gets, partly due to his contract and his own personal opinions on what he’s deserved, is the main aspect and reason that he is a “cap dump” and a negative asset to an NHL hockey team.

How does Laine handle other younger -BETTER- players getting ice time and opportunities over him?? The CBJ team is a better hockey team by simply giving Yegor Chinakhov every minute/opportunity and SHOT, that Laine has been given, and taken the last few years.

Both of the current CBJ or MTL teams are bad teams for Laine. He would only flourish on a team already established and built properly and with extreme depth, just needing an extra scoring boost, that could withstand the negative aspects he brings to the ice and locker room. Problem is that his cap hit makes him impossible to fit on any of these teams. How will/would Laine handle being on the 2nd line/PP unit, even if that’s where he deserves to be? He’s closer to a 3rd line player than he is a 1st line player, IMO.

Ok, hypothetical situation, I know, let’s just say Laine doesn’t play good to start the year and Montreal is losing games and Laine comes out with some questionable comments to Montreal media??

Like, you guys understand this isn’t fantasy hockey right?? It’s much more complex and nuanced than just looking at the points, as if it’s either simply an added 30-40 goals, and/or without them there’s no possible negative impact on the team, or other players.

I’ve literally had to battle with a huge CBJ fan contingent the last few years who looked at things the same way, BLINDED by Laine’s admittedly good shot and overall the concept of “skill”, while at the same time being completely NAIVE to the negativity he can, and what has now been proven, HE WAS BRINGING to the CBJ locker room.

$8.7 million dollar headache.

Chinakhov with more goals this year, and every year moving forward.
Hughes knows what negative cap value is. He got Monahan @6.3M for a first so i don't think he all of a sudden lost his instinct. Therefore your assessment that Laine was a negative cap is flawed. There is obviously something a professional GM sees in a 26 year old former 2nd OA pick who missed most of last year that wannabe GMs here don't see. As i said before Gallagher @6.5M to play 4th line is a negative cap hit but Laine is not that unless he strings together 2 bad years. If he plays PP1 and 2nd line and scores 35 goals then it was a win for Habs and perhaps for CBJ because they moved a guy who did not want to play there and got a serviceable D-man and it only cost a high 2nd round pick.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I’ve literally had to battle with a huge CBJ fan contingent the last few years who looked at things the same way, BLINDED by Laine’s admittedly good shot and overall the concept of “skill”, while at the same time being completely NAIVE to the negativity he can, and what has now been proven, HE WAS BRINGING to the CBJ locker room.

What are the proven examples of the negativity that Laine was bringing to the Columbus dressing room?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Hughes knows what negative cap value is. He got Monahan @6.3M for a first so i don't think he all of a sudden lost his instinct. Therefore your assessment that Laine was a negative cap is flawed. There is obviously something a professional GM sees in a 26 year old former 2nd OA pick who missed most of last year that wannabe GMs here don't see. As i said before Gallagher @6.5M to play 4th line is a negative cap hit but Laine is not that unless he strings together 2 bad years. If he plays PP1 and 2nd line and scores 35 goals then it was a win for Habs and perhaps for CBJ because they moved a guy who did not want to play there and got a serviceable D-man and it only cost a high 2nd round pick.
Jones didn’t want to be in Cbus, CBJ get Boqvist, Sillinger, Jiricek.

Dubois doesn’t want to be in Cbus they get Laine and Roslovic.

Laine doesn’t want to be here and we add a 2nd to get Harris…

Reactions: TS Quint

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
View attachment 905786

Puckpedia's cap relief calculator values dumping Laine's contract at a 12th overall pick. Columbus did it for a 2nd, and they got back a player who was likely worth a mid or late round pick.

You obviously have to use critical thinking, because all $17.4M of Laine's hit is not negative value.

I would have done this in Montreal's shoes, because his ceiling is so high - but the way I have seen this trade characterized is that Montreal got Laine "for nothing". That's not the case. The opportunity cost of acquiring Laine was relatively high. They sold 17.4M of cap space at a massive discount. That is cap space that could have been used to accrue additional assets, or acquire more suitable players. Cap is an asset, just like players or draft picks.

If they traded a 1st for Laine, people wouldn't say "they got him for nothing", that's basically what they traded for him here.

That same calculator suggests dumping McDavid requires a 7th overall pick. It's a useless resource in this context.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
That same calculator suggests dumping McDavid requires a 7th overall pick. It's a useless resource in this context.

I agree.

The poster should have provided further analysis or context. Saying something like "You obviously have to use critical thinking, because all $17.4M of Laine's hit is not negative value." would have been sufficient. Instead, they chose to stir the soup.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Why does nearly everyone continues to ignore both of these??

Are there any similar situations with any other players??
Laine is damn near a PPG player when healthy. You dont paid a second round pick acquire players like that. I think we can acknowledge that he has had issues with teammates in the past.

I'm still very pleased he's going to get a 2 year audition in Montreal for the cost of a roster spot and cap space.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
View attachment 905786

Puckpedia's cap relief calculator values dumping Laine's contract at a 12th overall pick. Columbus did it for a 2nd, and they got back a player who was likely worth a mid or late round pick.

You obviously have to use critical thinking, because all $17.4M of Laine's hit is not negative value.

I would have done this in Montreal's shoes, because his ceiling is so high - but the way I have seen this trade characterized is that Montreal got Laine "for nothing". That's not the case. The opportunity cost of acquiring Laine was relatively high. They sold 17.4M of cap space at a massive discount. That is cap space that could have been used to accrue additional assets, or acquire more suitable players. Cap is an asset, just like players or draft picks.

If they traded a 1st for Laine, people wouldn't say "they got him for nothing", that's basically what they traded for him here.
There has to be teams needing to shed cap space and willing to trade with the Habs at the right price for both parties.

The "value" of anything at the end of the day is the highest offer you get.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
We're weeks away from finding out....and I remember reading somewhere to err is human and that people should be given second chances...
It's not his second chance, though. It's at the very least his third chance. More, if people take into account the number of times this guy has acted like an entitled bitch.

I'm still comfortable with the trade, mostly because it's short term and the last year, he'll play for the most important contract of his career.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I am not especially big on Laine - his track record makes me question his ethic and involvement.

I was thinking that MSL keeps talking about "fitter ta game dans LA game" (fitting your game in the (team's) game) and how that affects players who work best with an established structure that literally tells them where they need to be on that ice. Like litterally - put that X on the board and that is where they go. Josh Anderson strikes me as that type of player and it's clear to me he just doesnt fit in MSL's vision.

I am hoping that Laine is the opposite - that he will flourish in that freedom and that his past difficulties are a result of being forced into an "X".

That being said.. can't get more stressful than playing in montreal. Hope the mental fortitude is better than it seems

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
Does Montreal have a really good group of shrinks who could bring Laine out if his personal "Jesus"-bubble and at the same time maintain the skillset that he clearly has?

Otherwise did Montreal lose this one as I'm going to assume some major locker room poison entering the building.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Does Montreal have a really good group of shrinks who could bring Laine out if his personal "Jesus"-bubble and at the same time maintain the skillset that he clearly has?

Otherwise did Montreal lose this one as I'm going to assume some major locker room poison entering the building.
Montreal has a really good group of players/leaders. MSL is also known to be a great leader, motivator and coach. We’ll see where this goes. Hopefully Laine time in the protocol helped him with his main character syndrome as well.

Reactions: D1az

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
It's not his second chance, though. It's at the very least his third chance. More, if people take into account the number of times this guy has acted like an entitled bitch.

I'm still comfortable with the trade, mostly because it's short term and the last year, he'll play for the most important contract of his career.
Yeah cause you know exactly what happened with Laine and the other teams to be using words like this. Grow up.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Jones didn’t want to be in Cbus, CBJ get Boqvist, Sillinger, Jiricek.

Dubois doesn’t want to be in Cbus they get Laine and Roslovic.

Laine doesn’t want to be here and we add a 2nd to get Harris…
The Jones trade was horrible for the Hawks...huge overpayment. Hughes has shown he has more ability in these moves.

Reactions: Waterbuf

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Why does nearly everyone continues to ignore both of these??

Are there any similar situations with any other players??

If we're talking about rumours, all the time.

Even taking it at face value, I'm not sure why you think its ignored, when its just not as significant as gossip.

Its not as if Montreal doesn't have primary sources in their organization from both before the alleged meeting took place (Savard) or after (Vincent). They're not going into this eyes closed.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
The Jones trade was horrible for the Hawks...huge overpayment. Hughes has shown he has more ability in these moves.
The point is if Laine is some semblance of an elite player, adding a 2nd pick on to him and only getting Harris in return makes no sense. An elite player has much more value than that, even at a high cap hit. So maybe he’s not a positive value asset…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad