Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Ask yourself why Torts didn’t want to coach the CBJ anymore, but, would coach in Philly?? Ask yourself, how many other players have any documented arguments on the bench with their coaches??

It’s clear that Torts and all the other coaches were pressured into coddling Laine as much as they possibly could. The amount of coaches he had in Columbus is fascinating, and there’s NO WAY he didn’t have a negative influence on everything. No proof, of course, but, I’m willing to bet Laine was at the center of the Babcock fiasco also, who IMO, the team should have kept around. Our “veteran core” and our best player at the time, Jones, literally asked the organization to trade Laine, and they did the opposite and moved all those guys.

You guys say that Laine is so great and there’s no “proof” of anything, then when the “proof” is actually confirmed by the teams head reporter with actual inside sources and information, it’s gets dismissed entirely…

Jarmo lost his GM job and destroyed the CBJ on-ice product, based on decisions almost entirely related to keeping Laine around on the CBJ. The CBJ team is better off with him off the team, using his cap money for an ACTUAL elite player, or simply having him removed.

I doubt (the majority of) MTL fans make it a full month into the season before they turn on him.
Is Laine in the room with you right now?

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Montreal had 8 fewer wins than the Flyers and finished dead last in their division for the fourth year in a row. There is no situation where the Flyers are a shitshow and the Habs aren't. They either both are, or neither are, or the Habs are and the Flyers are not.

It's obvious that there is a large group of Habs fans here operating in an alternate reality.

Come on, you're of bad faith here.

Mtl was clearly a shitshow under Marc Bergevin. He left the team in a very bad situation. MB was not good at management, he had a myopic vision.

But since the arrival of the new management group, it's clear that we got to another level in terms of quality of management.
The transparency and coherence of the plan too are at another level.

Add to that the MSL effect, a coach respected and loved by his players, a leader and a mentor.

You're confusing results with the overall big picture here.

Lately, there's been a few players that wanted out of Philadelphia while MTL has changed perceptions for better from NHL players.

Because MTL is going in the right direction while Philly... not that much...

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Is Laine in the room with you right now?
I don’t even know what you’re trying to say here. What’s the joke?? It’s literally unbelievable to me, at this point, that there are any fans that call themselves “CBJ fans” that still defend Laine as a player, or anything else.

It’s also fascinating any people trying to act like the Montreal Canadians are a good hockey team now and that the Columbus Blue Jackets have always (key word always, I admit) been some miserable team/organization.

They were literally a GREAT team, with Torts, just before Laine came in with Merzlikins and helped ruin the team. CBJ put 10 on Montreal more recently than they could be considered a good team.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Montreal had 8 fewer wins than the Flyers and finished dead last in their division for the fourth year in a row. There is no situation where the Flyers are a shitshow and the Habs aren't. They either both are, or neither are, or the Habs are and the Flyers are not.

It's obvious that there is a large group of Habs fans here operating in an alternate reality.
3*

Four years ago they were battling Tampa Bay for the cup after knocking out Toronto, sweeping Winnipeg and handing a beating to Vegas.

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
Ask yourself why Torts didn’t want to coach the CBJ anymore, but, would coach in Philly?? Ask yourself, how many other players have any documented arguments on the bench with their coaches??

It’s clear that Torts and all the other coaches were pressured into coddling Laine as much as they possibly could. The amount of coaches he had in Columbus is fascinating, and there’s NO WAY he didn’t have a negative influence on everything. No proof, of course, but, I’m willing to bet Laine was at the center of the Babcock fiasco also, who IMO, the team should have kept around. Our “veteran core” and our best player at the time, Jones, literally asked the organization to trade Laine, and they did the opposite and moved all those guys.

You guys say that Laine is so great and there’s no “proof” of anything, then when the “proof” is actually confirmed by the teams head reporter with actual inside sources and information, it’s gets dismissed entirely…

Jarmo lost his GM job and destroyed the CBJ on-ice product, based on decisions almost entirely related to keeping Laine around on the CBJ. The CBJ team is better off with him off the team, using his cap money for an ACTUAL elite player, or simply having him removed.

I doubt (the majority of) MTL fans make it a full month into the season before they turn on him.
You forgot he killed jfk, started covid and faked the moon landing

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You forgot he killed jfk, started covid and faked the moon landing
Please elaborate on what you actually disagree with. If you’re capable in doing so. Like Laine going for a rebound, I doubt it.

The stories we’ve been told regarding these subjects are extremely similar to the stories I’ve heard and am hearing about Laine being a some great hockey player, or Montreal being in a better position moving forward than the CBJ, or any negative Torts talk.

Laine can shoot the puck. That’s it.

I’d also like to hear anything about how he’s magically “healed up”. I could see the Montreal fan/media pressure send him back to the PAP, either way.

Reactions: TS Quint

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

Obviously there isn't smoke without fire concerning Laine.

Like my grandmother was saying: when you have problems everywhere, it's not everywhere's the problem...

But at the end of the day, MTL needed offensive talent madly and got paid to take a talented guy.

And Columbus don't wow me as a team having a strong core in terms of leadership while in MTL, maybe the results aren't there yet but the leadership core seems positive, starting with MSL and Suzuki.

Maybe, I say MAYBE that might have a positive influence on Laine.

'Cause in terms of reputation, both Winnipeg and Columbus seems like teams that have more of a negative leadership core than the contrary.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And Columbus don't wow me as a team having a strong core in terms of leadership while in MTL, maybe the results aren't there yet but the leadership core seems positive, starting with MSL and Suzuki.

Since when? Not a rhetorical question. The answer is LITERALLY, since Laine was added to the team.

It’s almost like the highest/2nd highest paid player/forward should be held accountable or responsible, when talking about “leadership”.

Maybe, I say MAYBE that might have a positive influence on Laine.

'Cause in terms of reputation, both Winnipeg and Columbus seems like teams that have more of a negative leadership core than the contrary.

Do people forget the Torts/CBJ days!?! They were literally looked at as the team that got by from their “core” or “veterans” being hard workers, great “leaders”, and playing the right way, in spite of their apparent lack of “skill”.

Then Patty Laine showed up.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Do people forget the Torts/CBJ days!?! They were literally looked at as the team that got by from their “core” or “veterans” being hard workers, great “leaders”, and playing the right way, in spite of their apparent lack of “skill”.

Ok, so what you're saying is that Columbus had great leadership and then Laine came in and because of his sole presence everything fell apart?

Sorry, but by saying this you're actually adding fuel to the theory that Columbus had weak leadership...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ok, so what you're saying is that Columbus had great leadership and then Laine came in and because of his sole presence everything fell apart?

Sorry, but by saying this you're actually adding fuel to the theory that Columbus had weak leadership...
The ironic thing is that we legit did have a pretty solid leadership group at that point, but somebody is so convinced Laine is the world's most evil bogeyman that he still somehow managed to destroy it all and OMG this is more proof that he's everything that's evil and wrong with the world. It's kind of comical. Like someone else already said, he killed JFK, started Covid, and faked the moon landing.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
The ironic thing is that we legit did have a pretty solid leadership group at that point, but somebody is so convinced Laine is the world's most evil bogeyman that he still somehow managed to destroy it all and OMG this is more proof that he's everything that's evil and wrong with the world. It's kind of comical. Like someone else already said, he killed JFK, started Covid, and faked the moon landing.
All right now that is a good and funny post :laugh:

Had to say it.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Since when? Not a rhetorical question. The answer is LITERALLY, since Laine was added to the team.

It’s almost like the highest/2nd highest paid player/forward should be held accountable or responsible, when talking about “leadership”.

Kinda weird having to correct someone about their own team's recent history, but here goes:

The Blue Jackets, after years of mediocrity, had one jolt in performances in the 2019 playoffs when for the very first time, they managed to win.... one playoff round. That's it.

You know what happened. the summer following that? It wasn't Laine. It was losing their two star players Bobrovsky and Panarin, because that's the story in Columbus.

During the 19-20 season, the Jackets immediately took a step back. It started becoming noticeable that many of the remaining players were tuning out Tortorella, who was then in his 5th season as HC. But Kekalainen didn't do shit. Again, there was no Laine at that point. Just a lot of players having an absolutely terrible season.

Then for 20-21, incomprehensibly, they brought back Torts for a sixth season. Jarmo clearly in over his head. Rinse and repeat a season with players tuned out, and then Dubois proceeds to shamefully glide on the ice for his last shift, that will forever remain a Youtube hit.

And THEN, only THEN, did they acquire Laine.

I don't know how you managed to rewrite history to make it appear like the wheel fell off the wagon when Laine got there but that is some serious mental gymnastic. The day they acquired Laine, they were already a mentally fragile team with discontent players, a coach in his sixth season that most players had completely tuned out and their general manager was a clown.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

Ok, your point is more nuanced so by nature, more credible...😉

HuGo boss

Apr 7, 2022
Please elaborate on what you actually disagree with. If you’re capable in doing so. Like Laine going for a rebound, I doubt it.

The stories we’ve been told regarding these subjects are extremely similar to the stories I’ve heard and am hearing about Laine being a some great hockey player, or Montreal being in a better position moving forward than the CBJ, or any negative Torts talk.

Laine can shoot the puck. That’s it.

I’d also like to hear anything about how he’s magically “healed up”. I could see the Montreal fan/media pressure send him back to the PAP, either way.
Like you said have no proof Laine was an issue in the room, I haven't heard anyone in the know that he is an issue few players like adam fantilli and johnny hockey (rip) have said the opposite it's definitely possible Laine is a little sensitive and he was not at his best (all guesses) also possible he has hard ass coaches and Laine needs a different approach if you have ever been a boss you know you can't treat everyone the same also possible the PAP has helped Laine with whatever issues he had/has

I'm not expecting Laine to come to mtl and be selke/rocket winner but from everything we have heard from habs room is that it's very strong supportive and has a coach that can deal with different personality if not and you are absolutely right then only a 2 year deal Hughes can always eat half his salaries and get an asset

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kinda weird having to correct someone about their own team's recent history, but here goes:

The Blue Jackets, after years of mediocrity, had one jolt in performances in the 2019 playoffs when for the very first time, they managed to win.... one playoff round. That's it.

You know what happened. the summer following that? It wasn't Laine. It was losing their two star players Bobrovsky and Panarin, because that's the story in Columbus.

During the 19-20 season, the Jackets immediately took a step back. It started becoming noticeable that many of the remaining players were tuning out Tortorella, who was then in his 5th season as HC. But Kekalainen didn't do shit. Again, there was no Laine at that point. Just a lot of players having an absolutely terrible season.

Then for 20-21, incomprehensibly, they brought back Torts for a sixth season. Jarmo clearly in over his head. Rinse and repeat a season with players tuned out, and then Dubois proceeds to shamefully glide on the ice for his last shift, that will forever remain a Youtube hit.

I don't know how you managed to rewrite history to make it appear like the wheel fell off the wagon when Laine got there but that is some serious mental gymnastic. The day they acquired Laine, they were already a mentally fragile team with discontent players, a coach in his sixth season that most players had completely tuned out and their general manager was a clown.
Small correction. The team wasn't tuning out Torts in 19-20; it was just difficult to keep up because, as you rightly pointed out, we'd just lost two superstars*. The team still managed to do relatively well - we took the eventual Cup champs to 5OT in the playoffs and all. Up to that point things were arguably fine.

Subsequently. PLD started hemming and hawing about actually sticking around, and pulled that "I'll extend for now but I don't want to stay long term and I'm not talking about it" thing, as negotiated by him and his agent (Pat Brisson). Tortorella didn't want to be around for that kind of nonsense, but Kekalainen and the leadership group in the locker room begged and pleaded and convinced him to stay. So Torts went ahead and dealt with PLD the way he'd previously dealt with uncertainty in the room - by insisting on upfront honesty from everyone. PLD wasn't willing to deliver, and The Shift and the subsequent trade followed thereafter.

Not long after that, two other Pat Brisson clients who were major players here started having their own problems being extended later that year**. One of them - Seth Jones - basically engineered a trade in the end. The other - Zach Werenski - fired Brisson, got himself a new agent, and extended long-term. And at that point we were committed to having to rebuild, and so the leadership group started slowly getting shipped out.

So yeah, Torts clashed with somebody and that ended the team here and his tenure. But it was arguably primarily PLD and his agent. Brisson seems to have moved on from that now that the people in question aren't here anymore. PLD... is still PLD. And Laine's getting blamed mostly because he has a hatedom.

*: Not that yonder other debate partner will acknowledge as much. He can't stand Bobrovsky either. Or Elvis. Loves Korpisalo, tho.

**: At the time I was personally advancing the pet theory that Brisson was deliberately trying to redirect stars to bigger markets for a bigger cut, and I was very very vocal about it. With time I've calmed a bit; on further reflection I suspect that he was peeved that a don't-ask-don't-tell deal he worked out for PLD with Kekalainen got immediately ripped to shreds by Torts. I personally still think Torts was the one in the right there - mostly because of how well he handled things for us with the stress of Panarin and Bob likely leaving handing over everyone's heads - but that could be debated back and forth forever.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I think the expectation from Montreal fans is nothing. So in that case, expectations will be met.

since Montreal was the only team to want Laine, Lainevdecided to go there. It was a touch choice

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Like you said have no proof Laine was an issue in the room, I haven't heard anyone in the know that he is an issue few players like adam fantilli and johnny hockey (rip) have said the opposite it's definitely possible Laine is a little sensitive and he was not at his best (all guesses) also possible he has hard ass coaches and Laine needs a different approach if you have ever been a boss you know you can't treat everyone the same also possible the PAP has helped Laine with whatever issues he had/has

I'm not expecting Laine to come to mtl and be selke/rocket winner but from everything we have heard from habs room is that it's very strong supportive and has a coach that can deal with different personality if not and you are absolutely right then only a 2 year deal Hughes can always eat half his salaries and get an asset
Will Laine compliment Caufield or take important (PP, O zone starts, playing with Suzuki) minutes from him? Habs are paying Laine a lot these next two seasons. They also pay Caufield a lot.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Thanks, I don’t need anybody to talk me how much the CBJ sucked. The idea that the CBJ team was good only 1 year or couldn’t survive without Bobrovsky or Panarin is bogus. Panarin, unlike Laine, was admittedly a huge loss. Bobrovsky wasn’t worth his cap hit in relation to the what the team needed at that point. The Torts coached CBJ team could beat any team on any night, for a few years.

Why are we acting like this didn’t happen??
What bigger source do we need than Aaron Portzline? If he says a positive thing about Laine we run with it, but, not the other way??

Everyone making lots of ASSUMPTIONS about Torts and the players at the time, without knowing anything that was going on behind the scenes. It’s not outlandish to think Torts had some sort of issues with Jarmo beforehand, and the Laine chapter was just the cherry on top.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

There was a meeting and message sent to management that a group of players wanted the team to move on from Laine and Merzlikins. This group of players has (wrongly) been looked at as a “failed core” from many hockey (and unfortunately “CBJ”) fans, and I’m assuming, somewhat shared from now known idiot Jarmo Kekelainen. The players that wanted Laine traded, and led the team to its most successful ERA, were all moved.

The CBJ didn’t and don’t need any of these individual players.

Lots of assumptions. Losing Panarin was terrible, I admit. Dubois’ actions and the aspect he was such a high pick, not much better. There was still this same hope for Laine and the CBJ team moving forward, that MTL and their fans now have. I would love to hear your CBJ breakdown of the last few years, and how Laine managed to survive and escape from the horrors that is the CBJ franchise.

The CBJ got WORSE with Laine added to the team, the worst it’s been in franchise history, and he’s just as responsible for it as anybody, other than Merzlikins, and Jarmo, the guy who decided to “build” his team around such guys.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Small correction. The team wasn't tuning out Torts in 19-20; it was just difficult to keep up because, as you rightly pointed out, we'd just lost two superstars*. The team still managed to do relatively well - we took the eventual Cup champs to 5OT in the playoffs and all. Up to that point things were arguably fine.

Subsequently. PLD started hemming and hawing about actually sticking around, and pulled that "I'll extend for now but I don't want to stay long term and I'm not talking about it" thing, as negotiated by him and his agent (Pat Brisson). Tortorella didn't want to be around for that kind of nonsense, but Kekalainen and the leadership group in the locker room begged and pleaded and convinced him to stay. So Torts went ahead and dealt with PLD the way he'd previously dealt with uncertainty in the room - by insisting on upfront honesty from everyone. PLD wasn't willing to deliver, and The Shift and the subsequent trade followed thereafter.

Not long after that, two other Pat Brisson clients who were major players here started having their own problems being extended later that year**. One of them - Seth Jones - basically engineered a trade in the end. The other - Zach Werenski - fired Brisson, got himself a new agent, and extended long-term. And at that point we were committed to having to rebuild, and so the leadership group started slowly getting shipped out.

So yeah, Torts clashed with somebody and that ended the team here and his tenure. But it was arguably primarily PLD and his agent. Brisson seems to have moved on from that now that the people in question aren't here anymore. PLD... is still PLD. And Laine's getting blamed mostly because he has a hatedom.

*: Not that yonder other debate partner will acknowledge as much. He can't stand Bobrovsky either. Or Elvis. Loves Korpisalo, tho.

**: At the time I was personally advancing the pet theory that Brisson was deliberately trying to redirect stars to bigger markets for a bigger cut, and I was very very vocal about it. With time I've calmed a bit; on further reflection I suspect that he was peeved that a don't-ask-don't-tell deal he worked out for PLD with Kekalainen got immediately ripped to shreds by Torts. I personally still think Torts was the one in the right there - mostly because of how well he handled things for us with the stress of Panarin and Bob likely leaving handing over everyone's heads - but that could be debated back and forth forever.
I hope that Bisson's feud with the Blue Jackets was solely focused on Jarmo. Considering KJ just took what I consider less than what he probably should be owed contract (I am still not completely sold on him but I think he will be a fine long term 2nd liner) helped me in that regards that him and Waddell have a much better relationship. I can't imagine what would happen to this franchise if Brisson wants to drop the hammer with Fantilli's first big boy contract.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Or people can use their eyes and whatever ability they have to evaluate talent and see that the Canadiens are going to be a tough out starting this year.

They're probably not even going to be a playoff team. Get real.

The rebuild and HuGo look to have done good work thus far but there's nothing boast about just yet and calling the Flyers are dump while we've been in the basement for years is comical. Don't be a Sens fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad