Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I am not sure. Maybe he likes Canada better? It is a trend amongst Finns who aren't Selänne that their love for the United States has lessened.

One team's a shit show, and the other, not. This is an easy explanation.

It's pretty well documented Laine and Torts did not get along so you can't dismiss that issue totally.

How big of a factor was it? Only Laine knows and he likely won't say. But it is pretty naive to simply say "Habs rule! Flyers drool!" when it's well known Laine and Torts do not like each other.

I don't think anyone is very eager to work for a boss they already know they don't like.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It's pretty well documented Laine and Torts did not get along so you can't dismiss that issue totally.

How big of a factor was it? Only Laine knows and he likely won't say. But it is pretty naive to simply say "Habs rule! Flyers drool!" when it's well known Laine and Torts do not like each other.

I don't think anyone is very eager to work for a boss they already know they don't like.
Absolutely, but there's nothing to say that Montréal wouldn't have been his choice anyway.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Maybe so, but my guess is that if Montreal and Philly swapped coaches he’d be a Flyer
I doubt it. The guy is looking to get his career back on track. He has a chance to play with Suzuki or Dach as his centres. No offence to the Flyers, but Morgan Frost and Scott Laughton aren’t as good.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I doubt it. The guy is looking to get his career back on track. He has a chance to play with Suzuki or Dach as his centres. No offence to the Flyers, but Morgan Frost and Scott Laughton aren’t as good.
Agree to disagree. I'll be looking forward to seeing what he can do this year either way.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe so, but my guess is that if Montreal and Philly swapped coaches he’d be a Flyer

I find that very difficult to believe.

If you are a scoring winger who is looking to get your career back on track, the last thing you would want would be to join a team that is weak up the middle.

I mean, who's teeing up Patrik Laine on the power play, Scott Laughton?

Reactions: le_sean

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Is it really though? Documented by whom, where? Seems one of those things "everyone" on HFboards "knows", but is there an actual credible source for this or is it just common knowledge from the depths of the echo chamber?

Torts kept playing Laine a lot despite Laine frankly sucking, he would've had all the reason to play him less if he didn't like him or his effort level etc. Laine has also said nothing negative about Torts ever, not even between the lines really. Like I doubt Torts is Laine's favourite coach or that he went "wow, Flyers, I get to play for Torts again!" but reading HFboards you'd think they hate each other (not saying you necessarily implied that but anyway...)

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

If you are a scoring winger who is looking to get your career back on track, the last thing you would want would be to join a team that is weak up the middle.

Laine already had a coach who preferred Bryan Little over him as much that Little got to play with Laine even though it was hurting Laine's numbers. They had negative chemistry.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Laine already had a coach who preferred Bryan Little over him as much that Little got to play with Laine even though it was hurting Laine's numbers. They had negative chemistry.

What does that have to do with anything that I said?

Do you think that experience makes him more likely to want to join a team with lousy centres?

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021

That’s a fair point, I just think in a hypothetical world where Torts is in Montreal and MSL is in Philly, the attractiveness of playing with more talented centers would be cancelled out by his aversion to playing for Torts, a coach who benched him repeatedly during their short time together. Especially when the alternative would be MSL who has been widely praised for his rapport with his players.

Maybe this is a poor translation, but it sure seemed like Laine was in no hurry to reconnect with Torts:

"Tortorella did not give freedom to anyone. Forwards want to create offensively. You have to ‘cheat’ a bit if you want to become a goal king. It is not possible if the coaches think differently. But I do as they tell me.”

“I understand the need for a tight system, but all players are different,” Laine said. “I do not even want to be like everyone else. I am who I am and do things my way. Everyone should be given the opportunity to be themselves. Then, of course, you have to play within the team’s system. I think it’s stupid not to use my potential. But then it’s another matter what the coaches think.”

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
One team's a shit show, and the other, not. This is an easy explanation.

Montreal had 8 fewer wins than the Flyers and finished dead last in their division for the fourth year in a row. There is no situation where the Flyers are a shitshow and the Habs aren't. They either both are, or neither are, or the Habs are and the Flyers are not.

It's obvious that there is a large group of Habs fans here operating in an alternate reality.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Montreal had 8 fewer wins than the Flyers and finished dead last in their division for the fourth year in a row. There is no situation where the Flyers are a shitshow and the Habs aren't. They either both are, or neither are, or the Habs are and the Flyers are not.

It's obvious that there is a large group of Habs fans here operating in an alternate reality.
No they aren't. Flyers are likely worse this year with no goaltenders. Canadiens are an up and coming team. Habs will be getting better for years. As long as Torts is with the Flyers prospects won't ever progress.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
No they aren't. Flyers are likely worse this year with no goaltenders. Canadiens are an up and coming team. Habs will be getting better for years. As long as Torts is with the Flyers prospects won't ever progress.

Who knows what will happen in the future. You might have a fantastic second line. Or maybe Dach, Newhook, and Laine will combine for about 70 games played. We have no idea.

A lot of great players have found success under Torts. If Michkov fans are right about Michkov then he won't have any problem, because Torts lets great players do what they have to do.

I'm personally agnostic about how these two teams will be next year, but it's obvious if a Habs fan is saying they're not a shitshow but the Flyers are, that you've got someone reading their own hype machine and haven't checked in with reality in the last year or so.

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
Montreal wasn't on Laine's no trade list while Philadelphia was so I wouldn't just assume that.
Ok, that doesn’t really contradict what I’m saying, which is that I don’t think he would want to play for Torts regardless of which team he was coaching.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Is it really though? Documented by whom, where? Seems one of those things "everyone" on HFboards "knows", but is there an actual credible source for this or is it just common knowledge from the depths of the echo chamber?

Torts kept playing Laine a lot despite Laine frankly sucking, he would've had all the reason to play him less if he didn't like him or his effort level etc. Laine has also said nothing negative about Torts ever, not even between the lines really. Like I doubt Torts is Laine's favourite coach or that he went "wow, Flyers, I get to play for Torts again!" but reading HFboards you'd think they hate each other (not saying you necessarily implied that but anyway...)

Ask yourself why Torts didn’t want to coach the CBJ anymore, but, would coach in Philly?? Ask yourself, how many other players have any documented arguments on the bench with their coaches??

It’s clear that Torts and all the other coaches were pressured into coddling Laine as much as they possibly could. The amount of coaches he had in Columbus is fascinating, and there’s NO WAY he didn’t have a negative influence on everything. No proof, of course, but, I’m willing to bet Laine was at the center of the Babcock fiasco also, who IMO, the team should have kept around. Our “veteran core” and our best player at the time, Jones, literally asked the organization to trade Laine, and they did the opposite and moved all those guys.

You guys say that Laine is so great and there’s no “proof” of anything, then when the “proof” is actually confirmed by the teams head reporter with actual inside sources and information, it’s gets dismissed entirely…

Jarmo lost his GM job and destroyed the CBJ on-ice product, based on decisions almost entirely related to keeping Laine around on the CBJ. The CBJ team is better off with him off the team, using his cap money for an ACTUAL elite player, or simply having him removed.

I doubt (the majority of) MTL fans make it a full month into the season before they turn on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad