Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think by starting the season without LTIR, bonuses get paid from this season's cap.
That is correct. Habs will demote a few players until season start then recall for the LTIR.

That said, they don't really need to do any of that with how much capspace they will have next season with 15M+ coming off including Dvorak/Savard/Armia and 3+ million in retention.

Reactions: pth2 and Gustave

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I like the move for Montreal. Can't believe the pick is going the other way. The contract is short, so if it doesn't work out, c'est la vie.

People talk about the pressure of playing in Montreal, but I can't imagine there's a ton of pressure on the team to do well this upcoming season.

And the city itself is beautiful. Just got back from a short vacation there and everything from the food to the people, all terrific.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I like this move a lot for Montreal. Low risk high reward type of deal. Laine's unwillingness to start the year in Columbus really hurt the blue jackets.

I have some questions about their defense, as well as their center depth. They should be better, but they're still a ways away from being a playoff team.
Defense is great, just needs maturing and for players to make it from the AHL team. Could maybe use a 1D two way stud.

Could also use a franchise two way center, but Dach might pan out to be a true 1C, I think he's going to be better than Suzuki.

Same with goaltending, we might have a stud in the pipeline with Fowler but it's too early to tell.

We'll be better than last season, likely not last in the conference now, but playoffs are highly unlikely.

Reactions: HabsAddict

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
But he's going to a team that isn't trying to build around him. Chances are he'll be on our second line anyways, but it's a step in the right direction.

I've mentioned before, but this is so low risk, and I think there is tremendous upside to this, especially since Laine has so many doubters and so much to prove. He'll be surrounded by the most passionate fanbase in hockey, and can just relax and play hockey.
So, the local press is going to let him relax? Making $8.7 million...you think they'll give him a free pass if he struggles? I agree that the fan base is passionate but are you claiming he won't be in the fishbowl of Montreal hockey?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
So, the local press is going to let him relax? Making $8.7 million...you think they'll give him a free pass if he struggles? I agree that the fan base is passionate but are you claiming he won't be in the fishbowl of Montreal hockey?
As the Habs are rebuilding, no one is hyper-sensitive about under-performing players. If they were, both Gallagher and Josh Anderson would have mental health issues. The fishbowl aspect is overblown soley because of the rebuilding period the Habs are in.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Oh man, I know most fans say the Habs won this trade so this isn't directed at them, but to those that say good deal by CBJ... If a habs homer made a thread saying Laine + #40ish for Jordan Harris he would've been laughed at and the thread potentially closed lol.

I'm all for second chances, everyone knows someone near to them that got over addiction and turned their life around. Hard not to root for the guy. Welcome to Montreal!

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Oh man, I know most fans say the Habs won this trade so this isn't directed at them, but to those that say good deal by CBJ... If a habs homer made a thread saying Laine + #40ish for Jordan Harris he would've been laughed at and the thread potentially closed lol.

I'm all for second chances, everyone knows someone near to them that got over addiction and turned their life around. Hard not to root for the guy. Welcome to Montreal!
there was no addiction. He entered the program for mental health issues.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think that the Laine-Dach-Slaf line will be our new 1st line. Then CC-Suzuki-Newhook is our second line.

The LSD line is going to be a nightmare on the cycle. Anybody who plays against them better have team commitment to defense or else...

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
As the Habs are rebuilding, no one is hyper-sensitive about under-performing players. If they were, both Gallagher and Josh Anderson would have mental health issues. The fishbowl aspect is overblown soley because of the rebuilding period the Habs are in.
Other than a few lunatics last year when Reinbacher was drafted, the Habs fan base has been very calm and accepting of the rebuild, and patient. Most Habs fans have no memory of the “glory years” of the 70’s or even the ‘86 or ‘93 Cups. They’re now like other fan bases in the NHL, just bilingual.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Patrik McJug Laine.

fivamMP.gif

aQ5pnvX.gif

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Fun add for MTL. He’ll score a lot goals. I’m just not sure he’ll help them win. If that makes sense.

It does make sense. It's one of the things Hughes mentioned in his interview. He's less interested in Laine scoring points, but more interested in seeing him contribute to team success. We'll see. I'm not sure if he's a fit stylewise, but he's coming into what's pretty much a perfect situation if he can handle the market. He'll get prime ice time on the top 6 and on the PP. He has a players coach who's offensively minded, values teaching and accepts mistakes. The team wants to improve, but it's not playoffs or nothing.

"It doesn't matter how much money we waste because we suck anyway!" is a WILD rebuild strategy.

Weaponizing your cap space during a rebuild is a wild strategy ?

Are you unwell ?

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Defense is great, just needs maturing and for players to make it from the AHL team. Could maybe use a 1D two way stud.

Could also use a franchise two way center, but Dach might pan out to be a true 1C, I think he's going to be better than Suzuki.

Same with goaltending, we might have a stud in the pipeline with Fowler but it's too early to tell.

We'll be better than last season, likely not last in the conference now, but playoffs are highly unlikely.

“I think he’s gonna be better than Suzuki” Im so tired of hearing this. Ive been a big Kirby fan since junior but come on… its time that yall put some respect on Nick… been the #1 center for a couple of years now, plays pk pp, always progress every year stats wise, almost a pts per game this year and hes an iron man

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Also a factor, true.

I can't believe people are throwing out "hey if it doesn't work out it's only 17 million dollars wasted, no biggie"
Honestly is the 17M$ a issue? That cap space is wasting away regardless you can’t bank it for next year.
KH made some offers to UFA and they all had better offer or select to go somewhere. So I have to agree if it doesn’t work it is no biggie since we have plenty of cap space next season and we are stuck with along term contract.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Weaponizing your cap space during a rebuild is a wild strategy ?
It's a calculated risk given the short term and how Laine can be flipped in the second year of his deal at the deadline, should the need arise -- and should easily fetch a 1st. Hopefully, he'll have played himself into a contract extension, instead.

I'm not as concerned with production as much as I am with his ability to play a full season or close to it. From what's often been reported about the Habs dressing room, Laine is joining a group of great individuals and will have a nurturing environment in MSL and management. Looking forward to seeing how he responds.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It's a calculated risk given the short term and how Laine can be flipped in the second year of his deal at the deadline, should the need arise -- and should easily fetch a 1st. Hopefully, he'll have played himself into a contract extension, instead.

I'm not as concerned with production as much as I am with his ability to play a full season or close to it. From what's often been reported about the Habs dressing room, Laine is joining a group of great individuals and will have a nurturing environment in MSL and management. Looking forward to seeing how he responds.

You could have said literal gibberish and I'd be thrilled to see you post. Welcome back my friend. But yes, I agree.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
All the other consistent top revenue teams are in the playoffs.
As were the Habs a few years ago when they were in the cup finals.... All Teams go through cycles. Habs are in a rebuild cycle and Hughes is doing an amazing job rebuilding.

Having a boat load of cash and capspace and leveraging it what successful teams do when rebuilding.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad