Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Canadiens sign Sami Niku (1 year, $750k, two-way)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Nikiou, not Nicou or Nicul. ;)
orson-welles-welles.gif

v2dL90Lbeni9

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Congrats Habs, a good signing!. He is a perfect 3rd pair d-man for you
with some pp responsibilities for your 2nd unit and its a match.
- as a starters

He has 2nd pair potential, i think he can grow/develop in to that role season after this one.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Unless he grows a spine he won't be an NHL regular. You can be soft if you display exemplary skill. Niku just isn't good enough to play two hand touch in the Dzone.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Why didn't he get a chance with the Jets after their big D exodus? Obviously there's no room this year but last couple years they had a bunch of scrubs on their bottom pair.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
Why didn't he get a chance with the Jets after their big D exodus? Obviously there's no room this year but last couple years they had a bunch of scrubs on their bottom pair.

Because those scrubs were better defensively than Niku. It's great to be an offensive puck moving D man but you still need to have some basic defensive skills in your own end. The other reported issue is that he didn't put in the hard work. He was always to the 1st guy off the ice at practice and that's not the way to impress your way into a line up. All that being said , you never know. There's not alot of risk for Montreal and maybe with a new start he can fix things up. I wish him well.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Why didn't WPG just put him on normal waivers, and MTL claim him, since they signed him anyways. I don't get this one.
Because he was on a 1 way contract. He was put on waivers before the contract was mutually terminated with the Jets and no one took him due to that fact. By clearing waivers he became a free agent and was then signed to a two way deal by the Habs.

Reactions: Oddbob

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I'm somewhat surprised that it was Montreal and not Arizona that Niku chose to play for. There's a massive opportunity in the latter location to get some playing time that may not be available anywhere else.
Arizona seems to have not wanted him. Otherwise they’d have put in a claim. Perhaps they think there will be some other, more attractive options on the waiver wire in the next little while.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
guess this means they're committed to sending Norlinder and guhle back to develop. I assume he's in a battle with Wideman and Kulak for 6/7.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
It has been pretty widely rumored in these forums that Niku was asked not to join rushes when playing for Jets, and that’s what he is good at, if Habs allow him to play to his strengths he will certainly be better than he ever was for Jets, how far that takes him is still yet to be seen

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
So it obviously must be true seeing as NHL teams normally let HF posters in on what they tell their players.
Yup, cause that is exactly what i said :laugh:

I swear if i didn’t know, i would think this is a hockey forum for people with severe issues with reading comprehension smh

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Can't win without Finns. Kotkaniemi left a hole in MTL's Finn quota but it got fixed fast.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It has been pretty widely rumored in these forums that Niku was asked not to join rushes when playing for Jets, and that’s what he is good at, if Habs allow him to play to his strengths he will certainly be better than he ever was for Jets, how far that takes him is still yet to be seen

So it obviously must be true seeing as NHL teams normally let HF posters in on what they tell their players.

That's what his agent said when his contract was terminated.

I think the Jets d-core as a whole was told to play a bit more cautiously because the group overall was pretty weak. I don't think only Niku specifically was told to sit back a bit. Obviously that would hamper Niku as once the puck is not on the offensive zone he's an absolute nightmare, and not in the good, spooky season sense. There's also been rumours here about his attitude towards improving and what he deserves versus what he's earned.

He wasn't claimed because he was on a 1-way deal. He's on a 2-way here. Good for him on wanting to prove himself - he married local and has a kid so he could've taken the easy money and stayed home. Signing with a Canadian team makes it easier for his family I think. He may turn out to be something but anything beyond a bottom pair that can sometimes contribute on the PP is very unlikely. He's not some big talent held back by coaching.

Reactions: Stubu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad