(MTL) Arber Xhekaj has been fined $3,385.42

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
He definitely sticks the knee out with the intent of stopping Laine's momentum. Perhaps not trying to injure him but the knee does flail out.
Stand up right now and lean to your right. Then try to shift your body weight to the left to simulate throwing a body check in that direction. Notice what happens to your knee? Watch the video I posted. His eyes are on Laine's upper-body. He doesn't know Laine is dragging his leg out at his side for no particular reason, and that he was already on a collision course whether or not he shifted his weight

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Of course he gets fined. 5 mins or at most 10 min/game misconduct that people wouldn't argue with but a fine? It's because he's playing the leafs...

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Spezza kneeing Pionk and got 6ish games I think and Matthews crosschecked Dahlin in the head/neck. Pretty sure he got a few also..... Must have been where Rielly got it from.....
I forgot what Spezza did to be honest but I know he got 6, Matthews got I think 2 games, Rielly I think was 6 as well, I dont really know what ur trying to get at here with the must have got it form there,

NHL is so all over the place on all these things. maybe they got it from Tom Wilson when he tried to take Buch's dead off when he was on the ground who knows, it was also just a fine

but I dunno I guess it's okay to attack players from behind or do whatever it was Tom Wilson did here. they both are just fines

imo Xhekaj should have been suspended, if you see more of this happen cause its just a 3.5-5k fine, someone is prob going to get real hurt

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
So many things wrong with what happened. Pare should have gotten a penalty. Intentional or not, unless the NHL is okay with players taken out by the knee.

Think sticks to the head, automatic punishment regardless of intent. Might have even calmed things down and prevented the latter situation. But because the ref let it go, someone (Xhekaj) had no choice but police the matter themselves since the refs didn't.

As for the pummelling that Pare got..., although I'm obviously I'm a Habs fan, Xhekaj should have gotten a suspension. Regardless of the situation and context, you can't just let a player throw punches to the back of someones head. Period. This should have been a no brainer. And frankly, I'm sure Xhekaj would have been fine with a suspension.

As for Pare, sorry, dude is a coward. His excuse for turtling was because he wasn't ready and was caught by surprise? Umm...what? Should Xhekaj written a fight invitation with time and place? As soon as the accident happened (I don't believe Pare did it with an intent to injure), he and everyone else in the arena knew what would come, especially when there was no penalty called. So he should have been ready and certainly not caught by surprise. No one and their pet chicken was surprised that Xhekaj was coming after him except the lone guy who did the deed? Sorry, Pare was afraid and he turtled.
Had Pare actually stood up and fought, none of this crap would have happened and we shouldn't be having this conversation.

I mean, what was Xhekaj supposed to do? Try to fight Pare. Pare refuses. Xhekaj goes "Okay, I tried. Oh well"? Dude had no choice but to escalate (should have done something other than punch the back of the guys head though). And again, what Xhekaj did shouldn't be condoned. He should have been suspended. But, Pare should have manned up and fought. He didn't so now this stupid situation.

With that said, the refs failed to police the game and the league should have given proper punishment to let the world know such actions shouldn't be tolerated.

Idiots all of them.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
im just sitting laughing at Leafs fans reaction to this. Remember how they felt after a slap shot on an open net? They defending Rielly doing basically the same thing. Now they are crying about fairness and code.

If Wifi really wanted get revenge on the leafs, he would score an empty net slapshot on the leafs.

*not all leaf fans, but who you who you are.

Reactions: Gravity

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Xhekaj looked angrier at the refs than the Leafs. He pretty much had to respond to the incident, intentional or not, and he did his job. He clearly wasn't trying to hurt Pare. He could have done much more damage. I feel like the wheel of justice actually got this one right for a change.
This is why I find the Bertuzzi/Moore comparisons ridiculous. Xhekaj clearly could have hurt Pare if he wanted to. It was more about doing his job/fulfilling his role and sending a message. And it could've been avoided had the referees simply called a penalty on Pare (or tossed him for his own safety/to defuse tensions)

I still think Xhekaj should've gotten a suspension though and I'm surprised he didn't. That sets a bad precedent for future situations like this imo. We're only going to see more violence and injuries until the referees and DOPS get their heads screwed on straight.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I forgot what Spezza did to be honest but I know he got 6, Matthews got I think 2 games, Rielly I think was 6 as well, I dont really know what ur trying to get at here with the must have got it form there,

NHL is so all over the place on all these things. maybe they got it from Tom Wilson when he tried to take Buch's dead off when he was on the ground who knows, it was also just a fine

but I dunno I guess it's okay to attack players from behind or do whatever it was Tom Wilson did here. they both are just fines

imo Xhekaj should have been suspended, if you see more of this happen cause its just a 3.5-5k fine, someone is prob going to get real hurt

Interesting.....Xhekaj should be suspended but Grieg f-ed around and found out and Matthews cross checking Dahlin to the head/neck was good to see.

Life must be so awesome with those blue glasses on.....

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Interesting.....Xhekaj should be suspended but Grieg f-ed around and found out and Matthews cross checking Dahlin to the head/neck was good to see.

Life must be so awesome with those blue glasses on.....
well yeah, u dont shoot on the other teams goalie after the play is dead, it results in a fight or should most times. but that doesnt mean u go smash him in the face like Rielly did. I really dont know what ur getting at here bud

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
im just sitting laughing at Leafs fans reaction to this. Remember how they felt after a slap shot on an open net? They defending Rielly doing basically the same thing. Now they are crying about fairness and code.

If Wifi really wanted get revenge on the leafs, he would score an empty net slapshot on the leafs.

*not all leaf fans, but who you who you are.
The issue Leafs fans have isn't so much with the play itself, rather other teams not being held to the same standard by DOPS. Leafs get the book thrown at them every time they defend themselves or send a message. We were told that Mo's suspension was so long because it:

1. Wasn't a hockey play
2. Was committed as an act of retribution
3. The other player's neck/head were targetted while unaware (despite acknowledging that the stick rode up the shoulders into the neck)

I'd say Xhekaj undeniably checked all 3 boxes here.

We're all just sick of the double standards.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Leafs are likely happy though because he will be playing in the season opener. He sucks and Reaves is gonna chase him around all game. Have fun..
Xhekaj went after Reaves in the opener last year. And after he manhandled him, tossing him around, (while poor Treliving almost cried after clapping like a seal during the pre game intros), Reaves wouldn’t look at him again the rest of the night. He did talk awfully tough in the papers after the game though, I’ll give him that, great for a quote.

You suggesting Xhekaj sucks in comparison to Reaves and your aversion to any kind of education, kind of tells me all I need to know. Reaves may be the worst player in the league.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
well yeah, u dont shoot on the other teams goalie after the play is dead, it results in a fight or should most times. but that doesnt mean u go smash him in the face like Rielly did. I really dont know what ur getting at here bud

Nice try still blaming Grieg but that is not what happened. Grieg shot the puck into an empty net "disrespectfully" so Reilly crosschecked him in the head/neck You said Grieg f-ed around and found out. pretty much saying its Griegs fault.

Dahlin pushed Matthews down(poor baby) and they went back and fourth and Matthews crosschecked Dahlin in the head. You said it was good to see Matthews standing up for himself.

Pare intentionally knees a player, refuses to fight and then Xhekaj smacks him around a bit and its and freaking the end of the world.....I mean he didnt even drop the gloves....

My point is this. You are clearly biased and make excuses when Leaf guys do nasty stuff but call for much harsher punishment when its another team. Even if its something far less dangerous.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The issue Leafs fans have isn't so much with the play itself, rather other teams not being held to the same standard by DOPS. Leafs get the book thrown at them every time they defend themselves or send a message. We were told that Mo's suspension was so long because it:

1. Wasn't a hockey play
2. Was committed as an act of retribution
3. The other player's neck/head were targetted while unaware (despite acknowledging that the stick rode up the shoulders into the neck)

I'd say Xhekaj undeniably checked all 3 boxes here.

We're all just sick of the double standards.

These aren't two identical situations.

1. While Toronto contended that the stick "rode up", the NHL did not agree.

While I accept Mr. Rielly's contention that he did not "aim" for Mr. Greig's head, the fact remains that Mr. Rielly raised his stick to the level of Mr. Greig's head and neck and drove it forcefully and intentionally into Mr. Greig as Mr. Rielly skated into Mr. Greig. This is not a case where Mr. Rielly's stick was delivered to the midsection or shoulder and "rode up" to Mr. Greig's head.

2. The in-game situation was different.

Section 1 8.2(d) calls for consideration of the situation of the game, and provides by way of example whether the conduct occurs "late in the game, lopsided score, prior events in the game." Such circumstances may render penalties called by the on-ice officials meaningless, and supplementary discipline may be particularly important in some situations so as to effectively deter future violations.

The situation in this case checks two of the three boxes in the language quoted above. Mr. Rielly illegally cross-checked Mr. Greig with approximately 5 seconds left in the game, and when the opposing team was all but assured victory. Moreover, the conduct occurred after active play had ended following Mr. Greig's goal.

Seeing as Arber Xhekaj received 27 minutes in penalties mid-game, and the Leafs a 7 minute PP, that is something that was incorporated into the calculation of the punishment.

Also, the whistle had blown basically as Arber had grabbed Pare and began fighting/punching, as opposed to 5 seconds after play had ended.

3. The NHL may have viewed Grieg as more unsuspecting, particularly as there was no contact, injury or infraction of any kind.

As noted in the suspension video, this is not a case where two Players had been jousting or where Mr. Greig might have otherwise had reason and opportunity to expect or prepare for a forceful blow to his head. Moreover, it appears from the video that after the goal was scored, and as he was moving back up the ice celebrating a game deciding goal, there is no indication that Mr. Greig expected any confrontation at all, much less a cross-check to the side of his head.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Nice try still blaming Grieg but that is not what happened. Grieg shot the puck into an empty net "disrespectfully" so Reilly crosschecked him in the head/neck You said Grieg f-ed around and found out. pretty much saying its Griegs fault.

Dahlin pushed Matthews down(poor baby) and they went back and fourth and Matthews crosschecked Dahlin in the head. You said it was good to see Matthews standing up for himself.

Pare intentionally knees a player, refuses to fight and then Xhekaj smacks him around a bit and its and freaking the end of the world.....I mean he didnt even drop the gloves....

My point is this. You are clearly biased and make excuses when Leaf guys do nasty stuff but call for much harsher punishment when its another team. Even if its something far less dangerous.
whatever, still warranted for him to drop the gloves. but Rielly went and smashed him like a coward.

and yeah I meant what I said, it was good to see him stand up for himself even if what it did was a bitch move.

I watched videos breaking it down and I dont think Pare intentionally kneed him, he shifted his body weight but other than that stood his ground, laine didnt even try to move. he put himself in a dangerous situation. it could have been avoided but I really dont think it was intentional

I dont see how I'm biased at all. if a leaf jumped any player from behind even if he was a hab Id call him a coward too, I called Rielly a coward so I guess I'm biased because I said good to see Matthews stand up for himself? lmao

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
The league is inviting Montreal to do something really stupid when these two teams play next, and I can't say it would be undeserved on all sides.
God I hope it's a violent game when they play. I want proper borderline shit going down and get the blood pumping. Hockey is so dull nowadays.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

As you said, judgments really are all over the place, so I get why some people feel the Leafs are being persecuted. The reality is every team is subject to strange rulings. I doubt many of us would've been shocked if X had received a game suspension, but Xhekaj is a first-time offender and got a major and match during the game, which mitigated the supplementary discipline. For what it's worth, in the end he was disciplined and is now on the NHL's radar. Next offence will be a suspension.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Xhekaj looked angrier at the refs than the Leafs. He pretty much had to respond to the incident, intentional or not, and he did his job. He clearly wasn't trying to hurt Pare. He could have done much more damage. I feel like the wheel of justice actually got this one right for a change.

So true, he was clearly trying to massage Pare and tell him everything will be ok. There was no intent to hurt.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
As you said, judgments really are all over the place, so I get why some people feel the Leafs are being persecuted. The reality is every team is subject to strange rulings. I doubt many of us would've been shocked if X had received a game suspension, but Xhekaj is a first-time offender and got a major and match during the game, which mitigated the supplementary discipline. For what it's worth, in the end he was disciplined and is now on the NHL's radar. Next offence will be a suspension.
I used to think that too but then Spezza got 6 for his first offense. I think Matthews got 2 and should have been more so they were more forgiving. Im not sure on Rielly but could have been his first offense getting 6 games. it really is crazy how the standard is all over the place. at times its hard not to think Parros plays favoritisms. should be a set standard for every team

but really none of this matters. no one really gives a shit about Pare. really sucks what happened to Laine and Pare should have fought, but wasn't really given much of a chance to. happened so fast before he was attacked from behind.

hope we dont see more of that this season now that it was only a fine

God I hope it's a violent game when they play. I want proper borderline shit going down and get the blood pumping. Hockey is so dull nowadays.
I wouldnt mind some good old school hockey but dont really wanna see players attacked from behind or knee on knees. even though I dont think it was intentional

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
These aren't two identical situations.

1. While Toronto contended that the stick "rode up", the NHL did not agree.
And? Even if they disagreed, both players in question attacked the head and neck of an unsuspecting player

2. The in-game situation was different.

Seeing as Arber Xhekaj received 27 minutes in penalties mid-game, and the Leafs a 7 minute PP, that is something that was incorporated into the calculation of the punishment.

Also, the whistle had blown basically as Arber had grabbed Pare and began fighting/punching, as opposed to 5 seconds after play had ended.
No one cares how many powerplay minutes were awarded in a preseason game. You're splitting hairs with how long after the whistle it was. Xhekaj and Pare were not involved in any sort of hockey play at the time of the infraction. You're also trying to make up the difference of a 0 game suspension to a 5 game suspension with this nitpicking.

3. The NHL may have viewed Grieg as more unsuspecting, particularly as there was no contact, injury or infraction of any kind.

There was no "jousting" from Pare. He declined a fight. After that, any attack on him committed FROM BEHIND should be considered unsuspecting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad