MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Volume 6.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
OP, what is your methodology for rating these players? Specifically, please describe what games you watch.

I generally assume that anyone posting on this board is just an average Joe who watches games on the TV. Nothing wrong with that, but to go to the lengths of a top50 list I think we'd like to know more about how often you're clapping eyes on these dudes. From what I recall, and as others point out, you have a... slight penchant... for ranking Montreal's AHL players quite highly on your lists and that's where you take the most heat.

I'd wager that you watch the Rocket quite a bit, and probably that you watch some games that Habs prospects play in other leagues. Anything more than that is going to be hard for a single dude to manage. Of course, this is a total guess and you might be able to set the record straight.

I'm not tryin' to player hate here, I think I'm offering you a good method of defending yourself, but the allegations of bias are always going to linger after the ol' Josh Brook situation. Having highly valued the prospects from another team isn't a real defence against bias, that just means you could be biased for a second team as well, for whatever reason. The best defence against your bias will be your methodology.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
He's only the same player if you just look at the stats page. His skating is literally night and day. He also showed he could work his magic in the big.
Dropping spots happen to players who don't get better or "stagnate" a little, this list added 14 2024 draftees, players from later drafts will drop.
What did you see in Nikishin's game that makes you think he had a stagnant year?

Thanks for sharing your list btw and sticking around to answer questions.

Reactions: slumpy43

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
In their draft years I had Smith behind Michkov, Leonard and Reinbacher, what has Smith done to surpass these ? In my eyes he is still the same player. Mind you, is 13 that low ? Everyone above him was picked in the same range he was.

If I was I would've ranked Michael Hage and Owen Beck much higher, they both didn't make my top 50, they both would be very arguable top 50 prospects.

Last year Brock Faber was 41st.
The year before Sanderson was 3rd above guys like Slafkovsky, Cooley, MacTavish and Johnston.
In 2021 Stutzle was 3rd and Lafreniere 1st. Jason Robertson and Kaiden Guhle were ranked outside the top 60. Behind Ryan Merkley and Liam Foudy.
In 2020, Cale Makar was ranked behind Kappo Kaako, Cole Caufield was 23rd, behind Ty Smith, Frost, Brannstrom and Podkolzin. Nick Suzuki was 34th. Jaosn Robertson was 48th.

Want me to keep going ?

Who would you have him over ? He has a case, thats for sure. A lot of other prospects also have a case, Eiserman, Cowan, Hage, Danielson, Dvorsky, Yager, Nadeau, Beck

To me it mostly came down to Willander or him, it's tough to argue Willander has a lesser path to the NHL than ASP does, no ?

I absolutely love Geekie. He's still a project, he's a wild player and he has a lot more skills thant he other two, who to me, are incredibly flawed players. But has no dynamic skills, handles the puck in a sub-par manner and his shooting is just ... ugh. Simashev is better, he skates well and handles the puck well. His offensive zone ability isn't that of a great player though. Then there's the POs where he didn't play, you'd hope eh would be handling at least a small role.

I still believe in Geekies potential, last year he didn't look good at all, he looked timid and didn't try his wild plays he did in his draft year. This year he's been back to his regular shenanigans making high skill plays and pushign the pace. I know he's risky and he may end up a dud that never makes it, but I see an actual skilled top line C in him.

Yakemchuk was ranked right above Helenius in my draft rankings, they way over shot with him and I actually laughed pretty hard because if there was one player that needed to be carefully developped, its him, I think he busts now, but there we go, no bad faith Ill still have him there.

Where would you have him ?

Disagree on Simashev, read the answer two quotes up. Cowan I already answered too in a previous post. There's players that will be left off the list. Who would you have them over ?

Thanks for the support.

Yager projects better in a way where his game could end up being simple and low-event. Kind of like say, Carl Hagelin. Firkus's game, if it translates, has one outcome, star player. (I think Yager could end up being somethign like prime Max Pacioretty too, but for that to happen he'd have to progress his game beyond just up and down hockey. We will know more next year once he's out of the Dub, a league that actually emphasizes rush offense. )

What is the relation between Stankoven and Wright ? Yes Stankoven outproduced him in the AHL, with that said I don't think Stankoven has a greater potential. I think a lot of people get lost in production and don't actually take the time to consider things such as skillsets. I think Stankoven will struggle to play his game at the next level and he may end up being a 2nd line tweener that is, certainly very useful to a team, kind of like Ondrej Palat or Yanni Gourde, meanwhile Wright still flashes that high end potential and he certainly did so in this years playoffs.

He impressed in a league that is not the NHL. He impressed about the same as Runblad did. Of course , Im not saying he's Rundblad 2.0, I think he's a player, but just like with Stankoven, there's a time where skillset has to take over for production or lower league success. ASP needs to produce to be an effective D in the NHL, has he shown that he can be a top 20ish producer ? Mind you, I don't think he got PP time in the SHL, but he probably won't get PP time in the NHL either. Beyond the title he got, which I think is... weird ? What is his real potential ?

Why do you believe Mico should be ranked behind those ? I find he has a better skillset than Yurov. Of course theyre both better than him at the moment, but Im not sure they have a better future.

Same reason as Nadeau, Cowan, Simashev, etc. Theres a lot of good prospects out there. Brindley lacks top end potential and he certainly does not have the offensive potential of Nazar.

Nazars been injured for a whole season, one would think it's normal he took a step back. Brindley also played like 1 game away from McGro and Nazar, while Nazar got a bit of the Draisaitl treatment and played a bunch of games on the 2nd line. I'll also put forward that Brindleys game is a lot tougher to translate as a very small body than Nazars.

I do agree Brindley is a player, I like him a lot.

See up.

Stars are probably the best team at drafting.
Thats harsh on the Kraken, especially as they picked twice in the top 6 in the past two seasons.

Roy was the Habs 3rd best forward the moment he hit the ice for us, I know it's hard to believe we actually have a good one in a sea of terrible forwards we've had in the past 6 decades, but this one is good, his skating deficiencies are way overstated.

That's true, but they have been shipping out talent at an astronomical rate and their scouting mainly sucked at finding forwards. They blew a tire with the Zegras selection when Boldy was right there.

Nadeau was good and I debated him a long while over Perrault. I don't agree that Nazar shouldn't be over Perrault, there's a whole lot more translatable game in Nazar than Perrault, even if I recognize that Nazar hasn't been the best in the NCAA.

If I was such a homer, surely I would've found a way to fit in a guy picked in the 20s this year and two guys picked in the late first two years ago in the top 50, no ?

Sounds stupid, but the pro games he played alleviated a lot of the worries I had. Just seeing him outskate players, duck over much bigger ones and seeing him absolutely dominate the offensive zone for two games let me breathe a little. I also have seen Hutson's skating sky-rocket in term of speed, pivot and balance from D year to D+2. I was watching him this year in the NCAA and I kept telling myself :"Did he just get really fast or is that me dreaming?" Seeing him do it in the NHL put out a whole different perspective.

Anyway, it's mostly about the skating, it would be pretty disingenuous to act like Hutson is the exact same player because his stats didn't move.

If I was such a homer, why didn't I include Hage, Beck, Engstrom, Mailloux and Mesar ? Surely I could've found a way to argue it.

Roy went up and never looked back. He only slowed down because of injuries. Also, Roy was over a PPG for 25+ games before they completely decimated the roster by calling up Armia, Stephens, Condotta, Xhekaj, Struble and with injuries to Andersson, Simoneau, Heineman, etc. The roster was completely diminished and they spent the year mostly defending. He came up with the Habs anyway and was instantly the 3rd best forward behind Slaf and Nick, and he produced at a very good rate despite not getting PP time and playing with Anderson, Armia and Newhook (Whos good). His PP time consisted of plying with Gallagher, RHP, Ylonen, Armia and Anderson. His 2nd assists, PDO, shooting % were all below average too, which indicates it was not lead by luck.

From the games Ive seen, Coronato has spent most of his time with Kadri, Backlund and Coleman. Why did Roy severely outproduce him ?

You can laugh at the Habs and how bad they were, and probably still will be, but it's not all bad every where.
ASP won WJC top D award, won SHL top Swedish D, and had a near historic goal scoring season all while 18.
The fact you don’t think He will get Pp time or think he’s an offense only player kind of shows you’ve never really paid attention to him

Him and Hutson are absolutely the same level of prospect

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
"I don't overrate Habs prospects!"

35- Robert Thomas, St-Louis, 20th overall in 2017.
36- Jordan Kyrou, St Louis, 35th overall in 2016.
37- Ryan Poehling, Montreal, 25th overall in 2017.
38- Morgan Frost, Philadelphia, 27th overall in 2017.
39- Noah Juulsen, Montreal, 26th overall in 2015.
40- Victor Mete, Montreal, 100th overall in 2016.

41- Daniel Sprong, Pittsburgh, 46th overall in 2015.
42- Klim Kostin, St-Louis, 31st overall in 2017.
43- Evan Bouchard, Edmonton, 10th overall in 2018
44- Jonathan Berggren, Detroit, 33rd overall in 2018.
45- Joel Farabee, Philadelphia, 14th overall in 2018.
46- Phillip Myers, Philadelphia, UFA
47- Filip Hronek, Detroit, 53rd overall in 2016.
48- Owen Tippett, Florida, 10th overall in 2018
49- Nicolas Hague, Vegas, 34th overall in 2017.
50- Urhoo Vakanainen, Boston, 18th overall in 2017.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
"I don't overrate Habs prospects!"

35- Robert Thomas, St-Louis, 20th overall in 2017.
36- Jordan Kyrou, St Louis, 35th overall in 2016.
37- Ryan Poehling, Montreal, 25th overall in 2017.
38- Morgan Frost, Philadelphia, 27th overall in 2017.
39- Noah Juulsen, Montreal, 26th overall in 2015.
40- Victor Mete, Montreal, 100th overall in 2016.

41- Daniel Sprong, Pittsburgh, 46th overall in 2015.
42- Klim Kostin, St-Louis, 31st overall in 2017.
43- Evan Bouchard, Edmonton, 10th overall in 2018
44- Jonathan Berggren, Detroit, 33rd overall in 2018.
45- Joel Farabee, Philadelphia, 14th overall in 2018.
46- Phillip Myers, Philadelphia, UFA
47- Filip Hronek, Detroit, 53rd overall in 2016.
48- Owen Tippett, Florida, 10th overall in 2018
49- Nicolas Hague, Vegas, 34th overall in 2017.
50- Urhoo Vakanainen, Boston, 18th overall in 2017.

How is he overrating them? They are quite low and a case can be made for each of them at the time... He's not Nostradamus, he cannot predict injuries and other factors for a prospect to bust.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Poehling I can see, though he never projected above a 3rd liner, IMO.

Mete and Juulsen was wild, I'll give you that.

Nothing will top the Josh Brook hype though.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Oh, you want me to check up on this later?

Cool. In the mean time, let's check in on OP's 2018 rankings of Montreal prospects, since we have enough time to evaluate those. Had Ryan Poehling, Noah Juulsen, and Victor Mete all ranked in the Top 40, all over Bouchard/Farabee/Hronek/Tippett/Hague.

No Montreal bias. None. :laugh:
Different era
Different organization
Crap for development
Can remember PK coming up
Same under valuation of him.
I can fill this page with text but nothing counts till the games are played.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
You're right, I dunno how anybody could confuse ranking Juulsen and Mete over Bouchard as homerism. :laugh:
Mete was paired with Shea Weber as a rookie, I don't think you remember how good he was. He was a good reason why Bergevin was comfortable trading Sergachev.

Juulsen was unfortunately injured quite a lot, but had a decent hype around him. 39-ish is really not shocking... You're just pointing out one obvious mistake in his rankings to call him a homer.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
You're right, I dunno how anybody could confuse ranking Juulsen and Mete over Bouchard as homerism. :laugh:
You weren't on the Habs board before the 2018 draft, but IIRC he was very low on Bouchard because of his defensive play and tendency to make stupid mistakes.

I think Bouchard has ironed those warts out now, but that wasn't a homer take, that was him being genuinely low on him as a prospect which happens.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
When everyone realizes the poster isn’t a computer but a person who has perspective and bias, you get the list you see.

If you want a better list, find ones where multiple opinions are aggregated.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk why people care if there is a bit of a bias perspective, that’s pretty normal for anyone that’s a fan… at a certain point your comparing players that are very close in talent, and likely going to side with the players you’ve seen more of or read more of (your home team/favorite team).

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Mete was paired with Shea Weber as a rookie, I don't think you remember how good he was. He was a good reason why Bergevin was comfortable trading Sergachev.

Juulsen was unfortunately injured quite a lot, but had a decent hype around him. 39-ish is really not shocking... You're just pointing out one obvious mistake in his rankings to call him a homer.
Honestly the early Mete erasure is insane. His on ice impact was wild that first year or two.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
When everyone realizes the poster isn’t a computer but a person who has perspective and bias, you get the list you see.

That might be a fun project later on in the year…. Maybe @Mrb1p can get a few fans from different fan bases and form a top 50 list together

Reactions: Mrb1p and Phrasing

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You weren't on the Habs board before the 2018 draft, but IIRC he was very low on Bouchard because of his defensive play and tendency to make stupid mistakes.

I think Bouchard has ironed those warts out now, but that wasn't a homer take, that was him being genuinely low on him as a prospect which happens.
Ironed out? Hardly he's still as stupid, he's just producing PPG which insulated his mistakes. He's exactly what I predicted he'd be, he just has Mcdavid boosting him.

Like the HFboards poll rankings... Oh wait 🤣

Honestly the early Mete erasure is insane. His on ice impact was wild that first year or two.
It's hard to know exactly what happened with the downfall of Mete. He was the best defender on the WJC squad, he was amazing in his first 100 games with Weber, maybe it was just Webers insulating him that allowed him such success, maybe he hit a wall, maybe he stopped progressing for internal and or external reasons. I know that he's a worse player today, in his prime, than at 21.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Yes, this is definitely revisionist history now that they've busted... This totally wasn't ripped heavily in the initial thread 6 years ago as blatant homerism.

*Checks original thread*

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Ironed out? Hardly he's still as stupid, he's just producing PPG which insulated his mistakes. He's exactly what I predicted he'd be, he just has Mcdavid boosting him.

Like the HFboards poll rankings... Oh wait 🤣

It's hard to know exactly what happened with the downfall of Mete. He was the best defender on the WJC squad, he was amazing in his first 100 games with Weber, maybe it was just Webers insulating him that allowed him such success, maybe he hit a wall, maybe he stopped progressing for internal and or external reasons. I know that he's a worse player today, in his prime, than at 21.
Bouchard makes the occasional dumb mistake but he is world's better in his own end, and every analytic supports that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, this is definitely revisionist history now that they've busted... This totally wasn't ripped heavily in the initial thread 6 years ago as blatant homerism.

*Checks original thread*
People ripping Habs players? Damn who would've thought.
Bouchard makes the occasional dumb mistake but he is world's better in his own end, and every analytic supports that.
Better than what? In 2018? I guess. Still pretty f***ing bad. I guess he's better than Matheson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad