MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. 5th edition.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Not a single Wild prospect, for a team that is considered to have a solid, though not brilliant, talent pool? No Faber, Ohgren, Yurov, Khusnutdinov ?
I am surprised that so few lists have Faber--he has played in the NHL and appears to be a solid second-pairing D, with top pairing potential. He doesn't have the offensive potential of the D prospects on this list, but he is surely in the top 3-4 for defensive impact.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am surprised that so few lists have Faber--he has played in the NHL and appears to be a solid second-pairing D, with top pairing potential. He doesn't have the offensive potential of the D prospects on this list, but he is surely in the top 3-4 for defensive impact.
He is top 3-4 for defensive impact, as of now. The reality is that defensive impact is nice, but it does not get you in the top echelons of prospects lists.

Reactions: emptyNedder

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Welcome buddies.

I ranked the 50 best under-23 (Non-inclusive.), under 25 games affiliated prospects for another year.

As usual, I do no goaltenders because it is just too much work to analyze goaltenders, especially because they play a lot, there's a lot of them and they're often hidden in random leagues. I'd be happy to provide a list for anyone who cares but yeah, thats it.

Here's a post I made in 2019 that still describes my views on prospects:

NameTeamDraft2022 Rank
Connor BedardChicago2023ND
Matvei MichkovPhiladelphia2023ND
Adam FantilliColumbus2023ND
Leo CarlssonAnaheim2023ND
David JiricekColumbus20225
Simon NemecNew Jersey20224
Logan CooleyArizona202210
David ReinbacherMontréal2023ND
Zach BensonBuffalo2023ND
Pavel MintyukovAnaheim202321
Matthew WoodNashville2023ND
Will SmithSan Jose2023ND
Simon EdvinssonDetroit20229
Cutter GauthierPhiladelphia2022NR
Luke HughesNew Jersey202214
Jiri KulichBuffalo2022NR
Ryan LeonardWashington2023ND
Matthew SavoieBuffalo202223
Jagger FirkusSeattle202223
Joakim KemmelNashville202230
Brandt ClarkeLos Angeles202125
Alexander NikishinCarolina2020NR
Marco KasperDetroit2022HM
Andrew CristallWashington2023ND
Dalibor DvorskySt. Louis2023ND
Frank Nazar IIIChicago20229
Braden YagerPittsburgh2023ND
Colby BarlowWinnipeg2023ND
Shane WrightSeattle20222
Jonathan LekkerimakiVancouver202222
Nate DanielsonDetroit2023ND
Lane HutsonMontreal2022NR
William EklundSan Jose202136
Denton MateychukColumbus202231
Luke EvangelistaNasville202032
Mavrik BourqueDallas202026
Logan StankovenDallas2021HM
Olen ZellweggerAnaheim2021NR
Matthew KniesToronto2021NR
Aatu RatyVancouver202150
Quentin MustySan Jose2023ND
Brad LambertWinnipeg2022HM
Joshua RoyMontreal202145
Tristan LuneauAnaheim2022NR
Ivan MiroshnichenkoWashington2022
Pavel DorofeyevVegas201939
Mackie SamokevichFlorida2021NR
William WallinderDetroit2020NR
Kevin KorchinskiChicago2022NR
Gleb TrikozovCarolina202247

Previous lists: I skipped 2021 for... REASONS.
MrB1Ps top 50 drafted prospects
MrB1Ps annual affiliated prospect list 2020 Covid edition
https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/mrb1ps-top-50-affiliated-prospects-edition-2019-2020.2669037/
MrB1P's top 50 NHL affiliated prospects
I can def agree where you have matvei and gauthier I feel could make a case for top 10 but it really depends on preference. I think its safe to say Aatu Raty's not a top 50 guy at this point, I would slot Tyson Foerster in there somewhere between 40-50

Reactions: wetcoast

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I can def agree where you have matvei and gauthier I feel could make a case for top 10 but it really depends on preference. I think its safe to say Aatu Raty's not a top 50 guy at this point, I would slot Tyson Foerster in there somewhere between 40-50
Ratys skill and overall play has been superior considerinf their ages. Foerster is close and I debated him from about #30th, he is older and that weighs very little in my evaluation, realistically I dont see Foerster ever exceeding 60, even if he is close to that already.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Ratys skill and overall play has been superior considerinf their ages. Foerster is close and I debated him from about #30th, he is older and that weighs very little in my evaluation, realistically I dont see Foerster ever exceeding 60, even if he is close to that already.
pretty sure he was drafted same year as raty, and hes outplayed him at every level so far. its hard to watch everybody though but otherwise its a good list

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No. And I dont think thats farfetched.
Well if you had Jake Sanderson 33rd last year then sure not having Faber is consitent.....ly bad right?

His skating and defensive skillset pretty much almost guarantees that he will be top 30 from the players in your top 50.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well if you had Jake Sanderson 33rd last year then sure not having Faber is consitent.....ly bad right?

His skating and defensive skillset pretty much almost guarantees that he will be top 30 from the players in your top 50.
Check my list and tell me whos so far out of Sandersons value a year after. Its like below 20%. Id say thats a pretty good list, lmao. Most of those were unanimously ranked ahead of Sanderson by all medias (Wright, Slaf come to mind.)

Even so, Faber is not Sanderson.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Check my list and tell me whos so far out of Sandersons value a year after. Its like below 20%. Id say thats a pretty good list, lmao. Most of those were unanimously ranked ahead of Sanderson by all medias (Wright, Slaf come to mind.)

Even so, Faber is not Sanderson.
What? One year later and Sanderson is more valuable than 90% of your list from last year. There aren’t more than 5 players I’d take over him. He looks to be what Jiricek or Nemec would hope for in their first couple of NHL seasons. Let’s put it this way, if Nemec turns into what Sanderson is, the east is screwed.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What? One year later and Sanderson is more valuable than 90% of your list from last year. There aren’t more than 5 players I’d take over him. He looks to be what Jiricek or Nemec would hope for in their first couple of NHL seasons. Let’s put it this way, if Nemec turns into what Sanderson is, the east is screwed.
A guy like what? A guy that is great defensively/in transition that produced mid level offense? 9 5v5PPPG aint cutting it. If Nemec and Jiricek were to merely be this, they wouldnt be in my top 10. Theyre going to be offensive driving #1Ds.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
A guy like what? A guy that is great defensively/in transition that produced mid level offense? 9 5v5PPPG aint cutting it. If Nemec and Jiricek were to merely be this, they wouldnt be in my top 10. Theyre going to be offensive driving #1Ds.
If your list ignored defensive ability you would have Luke Hughes above the rest of the D. If a rookie Defenceman produced great defensively and mid-level offense, that’s a fantastic rookie year. Jake Sanderson is tracking to be an elite top pairing D. That’s the PROJECTION for a lot of the people on your list.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If your list ignored defensive ability you would have Luke Hughes above the rest of the D. If a rookie Defenceman produced great defensively and mid-level offense, that’s a fantastic rookie year. Jake Sanderson is tracking to be an elite top pairing D. That’s the PROJECTION for a lot of the people on your list.
Tracking is a lot like a projection, dont you think?

What if I think these guys will just be better? Anyhow, if you wanted to debate Sanderson, it was a thing for the other list.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
A bit too high on Reinbacher IMO but the countless draft threads already covered that debate. Otherwise I'd say for a low ranked prospect I'd take Buchelnikov over Trikozov.

Reactions: DollardStLaurent

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A bit too high on Reinbacher IMO but the countless draft threads already covered that debate. Otherwise I'd say for a low ranked prospect I'd take Buchelnikov over Trikozov.
Trikozov is a lot "safer" as a player and has a lot more ways he could become a good NHL player. Trikozov is pretty much only as an offensive dynamo. I'd even say that skillwise, there's not much discernible differences between the two.

I'll let it be known that I love Buch 2.0, I think he's exciting and close to the top of the list when it comes to flash, he's not unlike Nazar, Cooley, Wright, Firkus or Lekkerimaki, but I do think he's a slightly worse version of those guys and also, I am not going to lie, but I have less exposure to him than a lot of other prospects.

Nonetheless, I wasn't ranking past 50, but he was in my short list with 15-25 other names to end the list.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Mostly a complete offense and a willingness to be the man on the offense. I'm also a fan of physicality and aggressiveness in a player. NHL readiness isn't really something I value too highly, but it is certainly a factor in this ranking as the first five should all be in the NHL this year. Another thing I value highly is intelligence. If a player showcases a good level of on-ice IQ, he's most likely a favorite of mine.

First - thanks @Mrb1p I always enjoy your commentary.

No disrespect, but in reading this and thinking about Stankoven, I am really disappointed he's at #37. You sound as if you'd love this player, yet I see you value guys like Savoie and Firkus higher (who he clearly outplayed in the WHL). One thing I will say, there's a lot of variation in opinions on how good Logan will be out there and where to draft him in keeper leagues, but no one questions his willingness and IQ. Absolute bull.

Anyhow...when he gets his chance I think he'll make you eat your list. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad