Speculation: Moving up in the 2024 draft

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Can montreal move up to 2nd in the draft offering the fifth, to Chicago along with the Winnipegs 24 first and a surplus LHD? I say Chicago says no.

Can Montreal use the Winnipeg 24 1st, a 3rd round pick and the LHD to move to the 13th to 15th spot? I say there are no buyers for an overpayment. Thoughts on the probability of either?

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Last year I would have paid to move up to get someone between Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith. Even if I consider Reinbacher as a good pick By the way. But this year is different, I wouldnt. There is too many good players to get, even at 5.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Can montreal move up to 2nd in the draft offering the fifth, to Chicago along with the Winnipegs 24 first and a surplus LHD? I say Chicago says no.

Can Montreal use the Winnipeg 24 1st, a 3rd round pick and the LHD to move to the 13th to 15th spot? I say there are no buyers for an overpayment. Thoughts on the probability of either?

No, it will be Calgary or someone wanting to make a deal so we don't take iginla if Cayden is gone. Why would Chicago do that deal? Doesn't make sense at all, they are rebuilding and need the BPA

Reactions: Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I would rather trade up with Jets pick than from 5 to 2.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Habs have a far better chance in attempting to move up with their WPG 1st than using their 5th.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Habs have a far better chance in attempting to move up with their WPG 1st than using their 5th.
I think you are right, but if you fall in love with Demidov, I say just throw the kitchen sink at Anaheim or Chicago (depending on who Chi want) and give up your first next season. For our building window, might as well draft the big time forward right away and go for broke. I’d do 2024 5th overall, 2025 Habs 1st and CGY 2025 win 2024 1st( other clubs choice).

Maybe I’m crazy, but I don’t have the keys to the car so who cares :laugh:

Reactions: Rozz and Runner77

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Moving up from 5 to 3 would cost us both first round picks. Maybe a second next year as well. But we will secure Cayden Lindstrom.

I think the top 3 will include Lindstrom.

We could also move up in the draft with Harris and WPG 1st.

We could also trade Struble since his stats are similar to Romanov.

Reactions: themilosh

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think you are right, but if you fall in love with Demidov, I say just throw the kitchen sink at Anaheim or Chicago (depending on who Chi want) and give up your first next season. For our building window, might as well draft the big time forward right away and go for broke. I’d do 2024 5th overall, 2025 Habs 1st and CGY 2025 win 2024 1st( other clubs choice).

Maybe I’m crazy, but I don’t have the keys to the car so who cares :laugh:

That's too much. I'd rather open the Matheson sweepstake now first and see what 1st rounder, player + prospect we get there, then make the move. I'd want to get out of this draft with Demidov, whoever will fall from the top 11 on D (Yakemchuk?), Boisvert.

Then
a 2025 1st (CGY) + Mesar + Harris/Struble for a good younger LD who can stabilize the top 4 Ds while allowing Lane to shine as a bottom pairing + PP, D.

In other words start spending some assets for the now, and go aggressive on this draft at the same time to collect the last few core players we need. We already have enough information to start trading futures.

Hughes can say what he wants, but I don't think we have the playoffs in our sight until Reinbacher takes his place in the top 4 and that top pick this year arrives. It's good to raise expectations next year for Suzuki, Caufield and Dach, but this will likely be the year were expectations are raised but not fulfilled. Then the year after we are there with Hutson, Reinbacher in the top 4. Demidov/Iginla in the lineup. Roy solidified NHLer, Beck NHLer, etc.

The year after next year:
Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
X - Dach - Demidov
Roy - Newhook - Beck
Gallagher - Evans - X

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Struble
Xhejaj

That X player missing, we'll have to find that player soon. Yes it could be Newhook, but in the version where we are a competitive team in the playoffs, we need 7 top 6 players. So we are missing one regardless.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If we're moving up, it's because of Demidov, and Anaheim is the most likely target. If Levshunov is gone to Chicago, Anaheim will likely go for one of Buium or Yakemchuk but they know both will probably be available at 5, and will look to pick up some extra assets.
many think Chicago will take Demidov.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
I'd throw a lot at Chicago for Demidov. was reading their board and one of thier poster said it would cost #5, Jets 1st, & Owen beck or Joshua Roy ..

I'd do that deal 100% with Beck

I'd possibly add the Calgary/Florida pick next year ( florida late pick is almost definitely the pick were getting anyway).. GO all out on Demidov! we have so many assets, it's time to weaponize them and get us our 100 pt star forward!

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I think it would cost somewhere around 5OA + Beck or Mesar type prospect + Jets pick to move up at very least

Reactions: Rozz

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Not sure if this mock draft article has been posted, but I'd love to see it play out this way. :nod:

Mock 2024 NHL Draft: Experts split after Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev go top 3 | NHL.com

1. San Jose Sharks​

Kimelman -- Macklin Celebrini, C, Boston University (NCAA): The unquestioned best player available in the draft, Celebrini (6-foot, 190 pounds) also is one of its hardest workers. Sharks general manager Mike Grier already has raved about Celebrini's work ethic in practice and games. The youngest player in NCAA hockey, the 17-year-old dominated the competition with 64 points (32 goals, 32 assists) in 38 games.
Morreale -- Macklin Celebrini: He was flawless in his draft-eligible season and is a franchise talent in the making. Celebrini is the youngest ever to win the Hobey Baker Award, presented annually to the top NCAA men's hockey player. He will be a major building block for a team in need of high-end, two-way talent, especially at the center position.

2. Chicago Blackhawks
Kimelman -- Artyom Levshunov, D, Michigan State (NCAA): After selecting a franchise-altering center in Connor Bedard with the No. 1 pick of the 2023 NHL Draft, the Blackhawks now can focus on finding a game-changer on defense. After Celebrini, Levshunov might be the most NHL-ready player in the 2024 draft with the size (6-2, 208) and skill set that helped him have 35 points (nine goals, 26 assists) in 38 games as a college freshman.
Morreale -- Artyom Levshunov: The Belarus-born right-handed shot was the third-youngest player in NCAA hockey and was second among freshmen defensemen and tied for 10th among all defensemen in scoring. The Blackhawks need a future pillar on defense and Levshunov fits that bill.

3. Anaheim Ducks​

Kimelman -- Anton Silayev, D, Nizhny Novgorod (RUS): The left-shot defenseman is one of the most intriguing players in the draft because of his size (6-7, 211) and developing offensive side of his game. The Ducks have stockpiled young offensive-minded defensemen, among them Tristan Luneau, Olen Zellweger and Pavel Mintyukov. Silayev has the potential to be a tremendous complementary piece on a top defense pair.
Morreale -- Anton Silayev: He had 11 points (three goals, eight assists), 74 blocked shots and 98 hits in 63 regular-season games in the KHL. Silayev, who played this season as a 17-year-old (he turned 18 on April 11), had the most points by an under-18 player in KHL history; Florida Panthers forward Vladimir Tarasenko is second (10 points for Novosibirsk in 2008-09).

4. Columbus Blue Jackets​

Kimelman -- Cayden Lindstrom, C, Medicine Hat (WHL): It was a bit of a lost season for Lindstrom because of injuries, but he still scored 27 goals in 32 games. After the Blue Jackets took Adam Fantilli (6-2, 194) with the No. 3 pick in 2023, the addition of Lindstrom (6-3, 210) would create a dominating 1-2 punch at center in the near future.
Morreale -- Ivan Demidov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg Jr. (RUS-JR): The 18-year-old left-handed shot is one of the most naturally skilled players in the 2024 draft class. Demidov (5-11, 181) has a high hockey IQ and adapts well in stride. He had 60 points (23 goals, 37 assists) in 30 regular-season games and 28 points (11 goals, 17 assists) in 17 playoff games in Russia's junior league.

5. Montreal Canadiens​

Kimelman -- Ivan Demidov: He dominated Russia's junior league, showcasing his dynamic offensive skill set and outstanding skating, and he'll likely get the chance next season to test those skills in the KHL. He's under contract with SKA St. Petersburg through the 2024-25 season, so a little patience could be met with a great reward for the Canadiens.
Morreale -- Cayden Lindstrom: He remains a top forward option in this draft despite missing 36 regular-season games. The 18-year-old returned March 29 after recovering from surgery to repair an upper-body injury. He had 46 points (27 goals, 19 assists) in 32 regular-season games and two points (one goal, one assist) and 17 shots on goal in four Western Hockey League playoff games.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kent will try, but if Demidov goes 2.. then you basically just sit there and pick..

Right now, very early since things come into better focus after the combine.

It looks like:

Celebrini at 1 is locked,
Chicago is determining between Levshunov and Demidov, with some saying Dickinson is a favorite of the GM.
Anaheim will want Levshunov, if he's gone, there's rumors they like Dickinson and Helenius. Here might be a trade up scenario if Levshunov is gone.
Columbus is high on Silayev, with Lindstrom being the fall back.

Right now it seems like people think its going
Celebrini
Demidov
Levshunov
Silayev
Lindstrom

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

I posted on their forum offering the following, and it seems to be a deal made. Hear me out.

5th + Roy/Beck + Jets 1st.

Steep I know. But, if it gets us Demidov, who projects as a top line winger it is worth it IMO.

Roy is good, I like him. In this scenario he has no room on either of our top 2 lines. He is a third liner. At best, he is a Tyler Toffoli, at worst, an AHLer. He is somewhere in between for me. If it is Beck they wanted, it is a tougher pill to swallow, as he is a prospect at a needed position, centre. But with Dach and Suzuki, Beck will never ascend past a 3rd line centre. I doubt he reaches higher anywhere. We can fill that hole through FA, or we just hang on to Dvorak, who is probably the ceiling for Beck anyways. The Jets pick at best is 24. One needs only to look at the list of 24 overall picks to realize, they are not going to be a massive breakout star.

So.....if we want Demidov, and are certain on his top line potential. I would pull this deal. The Chicago board seems to like it too.

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007
Kent will try, but if Demidov goes 2.. then you basically just sit there and pick..

Right now, very early since things come into better focus after the combine.

It looks like:

Celebrini at 1 is locked,
Chicago is determining between Levshunov and Demidov, with some saying Dickinson is a favorite of the GM.
Anaheim will want Levshunov, if he's gone, there's rumors they like Dickinson and Helenius. Here might be a trade up scenario if Levshunov is gone.

Right now it seems like people think its going
Celebrini
Demidov
Levshunov
Silayev
Lindstrom
Ill take Lindstrom plus winnipegs first and beck / roy any day over Demidov

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think he moves up if and only if there is no deal elsewhere for a top 6 kid, via a trade........if he can pull off a trade for a good young player ie Zegras type of player, then he stays at 5

Seems most want Cayden Lindstrom who should be there, or Ty Iginla

Reactions: Runner77

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Did Columbus say that they want a F, preferably a C ? They didn't say it clearly, like Habs didn't yell to the World that Habs will pick a F.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Did Columbus say that they want a F, preferably a C ? They didn't say it clearly, like Habs didn't yell to the World that Habs will pick a F.

No doubt the Blue Jackets are after a center. However, they did draft two with their first two picks last year.

I guess an argument can be made the Blue Jackets need help everywhere. lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he moves up if and only if there is no deal elsewhere for a top 6 kid, via a trade........if he can pull off a trade for a good young player ie Zegras type of player, then he stays at 5

Seems most want Cayden Lindstrom who should be there, or Ty Iginla

I would consider Guhle for Zegras. Not desperate to do this but it's making me think. Zegras and Iggy in, Guhle out. Try to package the Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd, Harris/Ylonen to move up to 14-18 range and draft a center/winger with size.

Our D without Guhle (next season):
Matheson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Savard
Xhekaj / Mailloux
Struble, Barron, Kova (Harris traded)

Our D without Guhle (Future):
Hutson / Reinbacher
Xhekaj / Mailloux
Struble / Barron
Engstrom

Our F (next season):
Roy / Suzuki / Slaf