OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I don't buy that honestly. Always Sunny does blackface. They did a whole episode about being black people. Tropic Thunder did blackface for the entire movie.

Always sunny is always pushing boundaries with weird shit, you're almost disappointed they didn't try that stunt sooner, to be honest.

Tropic Thunder did it right before things started to get really sensitive about stuff like that even with Halloween costumes with athletes suddenly being an issue (it's not ok to do it to be Jay Z, but it's ok if Dwayne Wade does it?). They also handled it in such a way that you couldn't really get so triggered about it, because if you watch the movie, you see why. That movie was made 10yrs ago, we live in a hyper sensitive politically correct time now.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Chevy Chase is still funny, so long as you're not watching anything made after Fletch.

"He's actually 6'5", with the afro 6'9", pretty good dribbler." :laugh:

Also my 2nd favorite Kareem Abdul-Jabbar comedy.

Airplane, of course, is the first.

Sadly, I'm old enough to know that Barbara Billingsly talking jive or Leslie Nielsen delivering his lines straight are funny on a couple of levels . . .

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm watching Barry Lyndon and it's really good but I can see why American audiences didn't like it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
"He's actually 6'5", with the afro 6'9", pretty good dribbler." :laugh:

Also my 2nd favorite Kareem Abdul-Jabbar comedy.

Airplane, of course, is the first.

Sadly, I'm old enough to know that Barbara Billingsly talking jive or Leslie Nielsen delivering his lines straight are funny on a couple of levels . . .

Paging Dr Rosenpenis

Reactions: KIRK

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Always sunny is always pushing boundaries with weird ****, you're almost disappointed they didn't try that stunt sooner, to be honest.

The Lethal Weapon 5 episode came out 8 years ago. The one where they become black people came out last year I think, right?

Tropic Thunder did it right before things started to get really sensitive about stuff like that even with Halloween costumes with athletes suddenly being an issue (it's not ok to do it to be Jay Z, but it's ok if Dwayne Wade does it?). They also handled it in such a way that you couldn't really get so triggered about it, because if you watch the movie, you see why. That movie was made 10yrs ago, we live in a hyper sensitive politically correct time now.
I really think it's a vocal minority. I'm confident it could be made today. You need to make the right jokes about those topics, but that was true back in the day for Brookes too. The key is that the sensitive topic isn't the butt of the joke.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I really think it's a vocal minority. I'm confident it could be made today. You need to make the right jokes about those topics, but that was true back in the day for Brookes too. The key is that the sensitive topic isn't the butt of the joke.

As noted earlier, Brooks himself thinks otherwise.

EDIT: Were you talking Blazing Saddles or Tropic Thunder?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
either. Stiller said the same thing about Tropic Thunder. I think they're both likely wrong.

You know, I don't really go out of my way to see movies anymore, so I'll just ask. What's the last politically incorrect comedy Hollywood made on par with a Tropic Thunder?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You know, I don't really go out of my way to see movies anymore, so I'll just ask. What's the last politically incorrect comedy Hollywood made on par with a Tropic Thunder?
Not sure. There are just less big comedies being made honestly. And that wasn't exactly a common occurrence back then either.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not sure. There are just less big comedies being made honestly. And that wasn't exactly a common occurrence back then either.

Problem is, there's no way to think they'd finance a Tropic Thunder or especially a Blazing Saddles now until they do. :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Problem is, there's no way to think they'd finance a Tropic Thunder or especially a Blazing Saddles now until they do. :laugh:
if there was still a guy like Mel Brooks making comedies, I think they'd be making a movie every time he wanted to make a movie.

edit: does This is the End count? I don't know what you're really looking for. What is a good comparable to blackface? What makes a movie non-PC? :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Blade Runner is utter bollocks

Cats are stupid pets.

SOUlRni.gif

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
if there was still a guy like Mel Brooks making comedies, I think they'd be making a movie every time he wanted to make a movie.

edit: does This is the End count? I don't know what you're really looking for. What is a good comparable to blackface? What makes a movie non-PC? :laugh:

Well those movies went out of their way to push boundaries on what people think of black people or race in general. No current movie pokes fun at that those tropes the way those did, not even remotely close. Most movies wouldn't even go there in fear of backlash on social media (yeah, sad af people are scared of morons on social media) and idiotic independent journalists that would make it their mission to tear it down.

Which is why, since Tropic Thunder in 2008, nothing remotely close has been made and Blazing Saddles? Lol, you can't even make that movie again in any form without it being that same sort of tongue in cheek comedy with race.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
After re-watching Venom, I gotta say...it's weird as hell, but it actually makes it work with the weird. At least it wasn't as bad as any of the Hulk movies or anything, but for a movie with so much cgi, I found myself laughing more than I thought.

I'll use a frying pan
You make it too easy with this one...I...I won't.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well those movies went out of their way to push boundaries on what people think of black people or race in general. No current movie pokes fun at that those tropes the way those did, not even remotely close. Most movies wouldn't even go there in fear of backlash on social media (yeah, sad af people are scared of morons on social media) and idiotic independent journalists that would make it their mission to tear it down.

Which is why, since Tropic Thunder in 2008, nothing remotely close has been made and Blazing Saddles? Lol, you can't even make that movie again in any form without it being that same sort of tongue in cheek comedy with race.
I agree that nobody IS doing it. But I think a good movie like that could still be successful. I think it's a very vocal minority.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’m a big podcast and audio book person. I listen in the car to basicly every Joe Rogan podcast and also a lot of audio books. Finished the entire Expanse series which is simply... f***ing amazing... I read every books and listened to the audio books maybe my favorite book series in more than a decade....

But on a whim because of the trailer of Peter Jackson’s new movie Mortal Engines I decided to grab up the audio books for the novels for in the car... young adult so super easy light listening or if you read them easy reads but I’m super pumped up for the movie and will be going to see it. Very unique story.

TV series, I’m an active service member so I just finished the Netflix series Medal of Honor, insanely well done and tear envolking. And also about 4 episodes into the season 3 of Narcos.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I agree that nobody IS doing it. But I think a good movie like that could still be successful. I think it's a very vocal minority.
Honestly, now would be perfect. There's just so much material with social media, the black lives movement, hollywood's idea of diversity, Harvey, metoo allegtaions, metoo false ones, crazy rich asians movie...

A guy like Mel Brooks would absolutely crush with that kind of material.

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad