OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Subscription services in general are getting absolutely out of goddamned hand.

It's crossed over into PC gaming now, too. With the advent of Epic's shitty cashgrabs, in particular.

Do you want piracy? Because that's how you get piracy.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Holy hell boys..............

GAME OF THRONES>>>>>> BATTLE FOR WINTERFELL IS 33 MINUTES FROM AIRING!!!!!!!!
THE LONGEST GAME OF THRONES EPISODE YET, SOMETHING LIKE 88 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The battle scenes took 55 days to film and is a TV record (possibly even a movie record) for shooting one battle for so many days.

This is going to be the most epic f***ing 90 minutes of TV I ever witnessed. It's as long as a f***ing movie. HOLY f*** BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Saw Endgame today. Yep. Holy ****.
I thought it was meh and the last hour was when it was pretty good. But like pretty lame up until then.

Also...can people stop with the
obvious feminist agenda bull shit. That one scene was such a f***ing joke. I'm glad my gf pointed it out well before I even wanted to discuss it. Also fat Thor was fun for about 5 mins. And then Cap is suddenly a pro at wielding mjolnir? Lazy f***ing writing. So lazy. Did whedon consult? Probably why it was so lazy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I thought it was meh and the last hour was when it was pretty good. But like pretty lame up until then.

Also...can people stop with the
obvious feminist agenda bull ****. That one scene was such a ****ing joke. I'm glad my gf pointed it out well before I even wanted to discuss it. Also fat Thor was fun for about 5 mins. And then Cap is suddenly a pro at wielding mjolnir? Lazy ****ing writing. So lazy. Did whedon consult? Probably why it was so lazy.
1. It was like a 30 second scene that is at worst unnecessary.
2. Fat Thor actually was a solid story for him imo. Maybe they made a joke or two more than they needed to, but in general it works for his character arc. The guy is completely broken after failing in IW and then losing it when they found Thanos on the farm.
3. Cap with Mjolnir is great. It's seriously a super soldier with a magic space viking hammer that gives the powers of Thor to anyone who wields it so long as they are worthy. It's not lazy writing, it's a comic book movie that has been setting that moment up for years. It's completely ridiculous, it's super fun, and it's great. You don't need everything to be dark and gritty or realistic. Sometimes they can just say f*** it, make something magic, and then do something cool. These are superheroes. That's kind of the point.

Last edited:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I thought Endgame was fantastic. Me and my friends were just speechless afterwards and sad of course.

I watched Endgame earlier today and GOT just now so im just emotionally spent.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Non-spoiler thoughts for the latest GoT episode (not even plot related):

The battle sequence at the start was very hard to follow on my TV. Yes it was HD.

The one song at the end reminded me of the music on Westworld.

I was so disappointed by this episode of GoT.
8 years I waited for that moment of the story and it was horrible.
I give it a 6 out of 10.
Fight scenes 9 out of 10... maybe 10 / 10
Story 3 / 10
Deaths 1/ 10

So so so sooooooooo disappointed in that episode.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I was so disappointed by this episode of GoT.
8 years I waited for that moment of the story and it was horrible.
I give it a 6 out of 10.
Fight scenes 9 out of 10... maybe 10 / 10
Story 3 / 10
Deaths 1/ 10

So so so sooooooooo disappointed in that episode.
I enjoyed it in the sense that it was fun to watch, but they made the army of the dead a sub boss leading up to Cersei. I feel like they undermined the whole point of the series.

I'm not really disappointed though, because I'm not surprised. The show has been way less good since season 5. Now it's just dumb fun. THIS is what lazy writing looks like.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Im really hoping they explain some stuff in the next episode.

1. What was the purpose of the Bran/Dany/Jon? They didnt do anything
2. It makes it kind of hard to care about Cersei now. So they just defeated an 8000 year old magical guy and now they have to fight an arrogant queen..
This episode left me with a million questions

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Im really hoping they explain some stuff in the next episode.

1. What was the purpose of the Bran/Dany/Jon? They didnt do anything
2. It makes it kind of hard to care about Cersei now. So they just defeated an 8000 year old magical guy and now they have to fight an arrogant queen..
This episode left me with a million questions
Seriously. What was Bran doing, just flying some crows around? And yeah, the whole damn point was that the throne really doesn't f***ing matter. All the politics was just some stupid bs. The dead are coming! But now the dead are just defeated like that? Like I said, the action was entertaining, but they don't even pretend to be making the same show that they used to make. If these guys were writing the story from the start Ned and Robb would be fighting next to Jon.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Seriously. What was Bran doing, just flying some crows around? And yeah, the whole damn point was that the throne really doesn't ****ing matter. All the politics was just some stupid bs. The dead are coming! But now the dead are just defeated like that? Like I said, the action was entertaining, but they don't even pretend to be making the same show that they used to make. If these guys were writing the story from the start Ned and Robb would be fighting next to Jon.

I just watched the teaser for the next episode and its gonna be all about Cersei. Then Dany says "we have won the great war" *sigh*. What an anticlimactic ending. I understand that the sole purpose of the NK was to kill men when created by the children, but I was just hoping there was more. I really dont want to watch them fight Cersei for 3 episodes now. Really disappointed how they dealt with a threat that was built up since the first scene in the series.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Seriously. What was Bran doing, just flying some crows around? And yeah, the whole damn point was that the throne really doesn't ****ing matter. All the politics was just some stupid bs. The dead are coming! But now the dead are just defeated like that? Like I said, the action was entertaining, but they don't even pretend to be making the same show that they used to make. If these guys were writing the show Ned and Robb would be fighting next to Jon.

@Malkinstheman
Oh man.... I have a rant for the ages, but I dont know if i care enough to write it all out. I just bitched to my wife for the last 30 minutes.

I will write it all out because I care to hear all those fans likewise disappointed in what crap GoT has become and their take on the total destruction of the series in this one episode.

No wonder Martin refuses to finish the story. The fantasy and magical elements destroyed this once great medieval political thriller.

Ok I wasn't going to go super rant and I was going to save my main issues for a massive detailed post of all the incredibly stupid shit that happened this episode. This below is just hitting some off the cuff issues that bothered me with little to no detailed logic. I'll really put time into a good logical post when I have some time tomorrow or the next day.
What really got me this outside of the rants I will explain in a soon to be post was the character deaths. Most everyone died literally for nothing OR just seconds before it all ended. Characters literally died just to die. Melissandra has me piping hot angry. Dany is a worthless good for nothing person outside of her dragons. Can't fight, has no people skills, terrible notion of what a king/queen should be.... shes pathetic. Jon and Dany were stuck in a f***ing blizzard for half the episode (WTF?) Night King was a BIG TOTAL f***ING NOTHINGBURGER. Arya with her quick 'let's just have her pop in from f***ing absolutely nowhere and sneak up on the night king because we have no idea how to write a f***ing showdown to defeat what is literally unbeatable' UGH moment. Tyrion was a waste of an episode. Brienne should have died right in the beginning - THAT would have been an actual good tragic death. WHAT THE f*** IS BRAN DOING? I f***ING HATE HIS CHARACTER. Seriously where the f*** is the hundreds of thousands if not millions of wights and minions of the white walkers / night king? They just defeated like that from the war with the humans? Had to get political with the strong female CHILD where Lyanna was the only person who could stop Wun-Wun the wight giant by stabbing him with dragon glass in the eye - THEN the overly dramatic EXPLOSION of Wun-Wun just for direct effect that a female child killed the giant ----- NO OTHER WIGHT EXPLODED WHEN STABBED WITH DRAGON GLASS UGH.
I can go on like this for the entire f***ing episode in detail not just a pissed off rant like I'm posting now.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
@shoplifter I 100% agree. The more I think about that episode, the more it infuriates me. What a stupid f***ing episode.

Another thing was the blatant plot Armour. Every time we saw Jamie,Brienn they were getting f***ed by wights. I thought it was over for them every time but nope there they are again. Then theres Sam just crying on a bunch of dead bodies...Out of all people how the f*** did Same survive. Then theres Jon being an absolute waste. I dont care if he kills Cersei or is the best king ever. He was useless. Just a pointless character.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@shoplifter I 100% agree. The more I think about that episode, the more it infuriates me. What a stupid ****ing episode.

Another thing was the blatant plot Armour. Every time we saw Jamie,Brienn they were getting ****ed by wights. I thought it was over for them every time but nope there they are again. Then theres Sam just crying on a bunch of dead bodies...Out of all people how the **** did Same survive. Then theres Jon being an absolute waste. I dont care if he kills Cersei or is the best king ever. He was useless. Just a pointless character.

Yeah. Seriously. I mean I was watching it and loving it, but then when it ended and my brain started logically trying to accept all the bullshit and put the pieces together of how things happened and didn't happen I started getting pissed off at just how terrible the whole episode was from start to finish. There were cool moments though, but overall... a piss poor episode that kind of killed the show for me in one episode.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
2. Fat Thor actually was a solid story for him imo. Maybe they made a joke or two more than they needed to, but in general it works for his character arc. The guy is completely broken after failing in IW and then losing it when they found Thanos on the farm.
3. Cap with Mjolnir is great. It's seriously a super soldier with a magic space viking hammer that gives the powers of Thor to anyone who wields it so long as they are worthy. It's not lazy writing, it's a comic book movie that has been setting that moment up for years. It's completely ridiculous, it's super fun, and it's great. You don't need everything to be dark and gritty or realistic. Sometimes they can just say **** it, make something magic, and then do something cool. These are superheroes. That's kind of the point.
And yet people nit pick the shit out of - Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam for less shit.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Yeah. Seriously. I mean I was watching it and loving it, but then when it ended and my brain started logically trying to accept all the bull**** and put the pieces together of how things happened and didn't happen I started getting pissed off at just how terrible the whole episode was from start to finish. There were cool moments though, but overall... a piss poor episode that kind of killed the show for me in one episode.

Watching that preview just makes me mad now. Like I dont give a f*** about Cersei at this point. It sucks.

Reactions: shoplifter

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
3. Cap with Mjolnir is great. It's seriously a super soldier with a magic space viking hammer that gives the powers of Thor to anyone who wields it so long as they are worthy. It's not lazy writing, it's a comic book movie that has been setting that moment up for years. It's completely ridiculous, it's super fun, and it's great. You don't need everything to be dark and gritty or realistic. Sometimes they can just say **** it, make something magic, and then do something cool. These are superheroes. That's kind of the point.
No...f*** that.
Listen...this is how I felt it was for me. Like you, I am a fan of the Marvel movies, but some of the shtick just felt old and the Russo tards made it feel like this was something unique and new, something no one would expect - Then they doled out the same shit with more deaths and a crazy stupid time travel plot device that...I mean, come on.

1. New Banner/Hulk was f***ing lame and stupid, again, too much of the jokey shit, like the dab? Ok I get it, it's all jokes for every f***ing thing with the Marvel movies, but I swear if they edited some of the dragged out dumb shit, this movie would have felt like it had more impact for me.
2. Thor, I get that stuff was finally getting to him, he got fat, the fat jokes kept coming the whole movie, it got boring.
3. The all female part, just felt shoe horned in and I didn't like that, it didn't feel organic to the story at all, just more crowd pleasing, I wish the Russo brothers spit on their hands before they stroked everyone the f*** off with that little feminist bull shit.
4. The hawkeye/Ronin and Romanoff scene, felt dragged on, went too back and forth and I get they are a strong duo as friends, but man, half way through that scene you were already like ok I am not sad anymore.
5. Spiderman and Tony hugging, that hit me right in the feels.
6. Howard and Tony, another gut shot for me in the feels. Nicely done.
7. Cap in peggy's office, you can feel how hurt and sad he is that he didn't get a chance to see her.
8. Sam as Captain America? I mean, skipping Bucky right off to play up that card? I get they did that in the comics, but Buck was Cap too.
9. All the scenes of Tony as a father were awesome for me.
10. Good job starting with Barton losing his family, that was a gut shot, then it was a bunch of lame f*** taint tickling with the non stop jokes.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watching that preview just makes me mad now. Like I dont give a **** about Cersei at this point. It sucks.

Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) was so epic. We went from Joffrey, Mountain, Walder Frey, Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton, Ramsay Snow/Bolton, pre-good-guy wildlings (lord of bones, etc), Thenns, Stannis, Renly, Queen of Thorns, The Viper (Oberyn Martell)... the list goes on and on for evil / shady / incredibly well written and great stories and reasons to fight for power or revenge.
The show was f***ing EPIC...... and it turned into THIS CRAP!?!?! I am stunned. I'm shocked how this show went from incredible to jokingly bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malkinstheman

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Agree with the consensus here so far about the episode.

So try to follow my logic here and if you can tell me where I'm wrong, because I'd like to enjoy the climax of this series but in my view I simply can't because there's no logical way they can take the series now that would make in universe sense:

1. The Others threat for storywriting purposes was basically just a clock, they represented the pace at which the story must unfold because they were the impending doom forcing action on the protagonists to prepare for their coming. The reason the north couldn't take care of Cersei first before taking on the Others, the reason they had to worry about stocks of food to live through the winter, was because they ran out of time, the Others breached the wall and now they're here.

Now that the Others are no more, there's no more clock forcing action on the protagonists, time is no longer an obstacle they should have to worry about. The north could logically simply hole up in the northern Kingdoms for the next number of months/years (Winterfell/the Eyrie/the Stormlands/the Iron Islands), recovering their strength and replenishing their food supply. They could even spend the time bolstering their fighting forces by sending envoys back across the sea for reinforces from all the city's Dany liberated.

The point being barring Cersei sending armies north (the antagonists), there's nothing forcing the northern alliance (the protagonists) from jumping into another battle while they're at the disadvantage numbers wise. Should they decide to (which the preview of next episode I guess hints at), it would either be intentional poor decision making by the characters to further character growth (even if in a negative direction), or simply bad writing. There's no logical in story reason for the protagonists to rush into conflict with Cersei. Now that the Others are defeated and "Winter" is over, there's no rush.

2. Bran and Arya's powers are giant plot holes for the remaining supposed conflict. Bran can literally see everything that's ever happened anywhere, he just has to know what he needs to be looking for in his memories first, otherwise he's as close to omniscient as you can write a character. Arya can kill just about anyone with her combat skills (even apparently magical zombie Sauron), and can more importantly magically disguise herself as literally anyone. These two plot breaking powers are just barely kept in check suspension of disbelief wise because they antagonist is just as magically powerful as they are, right up until the writers decide to off the big bad halfway through the final season, leaving just an often drunk mortal woman as the final boss.

They've established Bran can view any event that's ever happened, anywhere they happened, and can actually even influence events retroactively should he choose to. So at the bare minimum, they should have the absolute best possible intel for any battle strategies needed in a hypothetical battle against Cersei's army. Tactically they should have the biggest upper hand you could possibly have, meaning, regardless of how they try to end the series conflicts, if even once the protagonists are surprised by something leading to a loss in battle, it's a plot hole, because Bran should've seen it coming.

They've established Arya can sneak into an enemy castle filled with every member of house Frey, and have the stealth capabilities to not only secretly maneuver her way to the head of the family in his own castle, kill him, take his place in disguise, and poison all the food/drink served at banquet that same night. All of these things are established reasonably within her ability to do. So logically, the north wouldn't even have to send an army south to defeat Cersei, and as I said they should logically be in no real hurry barring Cersei sending an army north. Simply send Arya to King's Landing, have her kill someone with the ability to enter the gates (a peasant, a guard, whoever it doesn't matter), and by process of killing someone new, disguising herself as that new person, continuously until she's able to take the face of someone with access to Cersei's presence (Qyburn is the logical answer), then when she's alone in her chambers, shank her in the stomach, and the war is over. There's no logical reason any of these events couldn't happen by the show's own established logic from prior events, other than the show would be over to easily. In other words, the writers wrote themselves into a giant plot hole if they're trying to play off Cersei as a satisfying final antagonist to the story, she logically shouldn't be a threat at all.

3. The north still has 2 living dragons based on the next episode trailer. Aegon the Conqueror, the character that kicked off the events the show and setting is founded on, along with his two sisters and their combined 3 dragons, defeated every army of then Westeros by themselves, because dragons are the medieval equivalent of nukes. The north still has 2, and King's landing is just one kingdom.

So take into account Bran's omniscient knowledge, Arya's deus ex machina ability to kill just about anybody as an ultimate assassin, and 1 dragon logically being enough to defeat any army let alone 2 dragons, and there's no logical reason Cersei should pose any threat to the protagonists.

And we're supposed to derive any compelling drama from the remaining episodes why exactly? It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guys it’s a show about knights and dragons.

This is how it was always going to end?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad