OT: Movie Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Saw The Sound of Freedom on Sunday.

Obviously very heavy.

I felt I had to watch it though because I work and have worked with so many kids who have been victimized or trafficked.

Because of what I do, I’ve become very good at compartmentalization, but there were scenes in this movie that even challenged my ability to do so.

This movie is so important though. There is obviously no entirely accurate way to determine how many children are trafficked each year, but if you don’t work in my field, I can almost gurantee that you’d be shocked at the number.

If you truly don’t think you can handle it, I understand, entirely.

But if you can, please see it.

You never know how things like this can inspire people to do good things.

I preferred the movie Taken.

Also the movie theater was out of M&Ms when I went to see it. I'm not big into conspiracies but it got me thinking.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I preferred the movie Taken.

Also the movie theater was out of M&Ms when I went to see it. I'm not big into conspiracies but it got me thinking.

As with everything, there are shades of gray. I guarantee this stuff happens much more than you seem to believe.

Last year I had to read a 12 page trauma evaluation on an 11 year old girl that I work with.

12 pages took me 3 days to read because I had to keep putting it down because it was so overwhelming.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
As with everything, there are shades of gray. I guarantee this stuff happens much more than you seem to believe.

Last year I had to read a 12 page trauma evaluation on an 11 year old girl that I work with.

12 pages took me 3 days to read because I had to keep putting it down because it was so overwhelming.

There must be some misunderstanding. I know child trafficking occurs.

I mean there was a pretty rich connected person who was in the news for having his own island dedicated to taking advantage of victims of child trafficking.

I take issue with how the movie is supposedly more than just a popcorn action flick. This narrative is being pushed by the people behind the movie trying to pretend this is some sort of activism by going out and seeing the movie.

A large # of child trafficking victims in the US are kids that are kicked out of homes because their lifestyle choices aren't accepted by their family/parents. A lot of times it happens to kids who know and trusts the person trafficking them.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
There must be some misunderstanding. I know child trafficking occurs.

I mean there was a pretty rich connected person who was in the news for having his own island dedicated to taking advantage of victims of child trafficking.

I take issue with how the movie is supposedly more than just a popcorn action flick. This narrative is being pushed by the people behind the movie trying to pretend this is some sort of activism by going out and seeing the movie.

A large # of child trafficking victims in the US are kids that are kicked out of homes because their lifestyle choices aren't accepted by their family/parents. A lot of times it happens to kids who know and trusts the person trafficking them.

First of all it is a true story --- as with every "true" story, some parts are exaggerated for effect.

Secondly, as accurate as you are about kids being "kicked out of their homes because of their lifestyle" I can guarantee you that percentage is miniscule compared with those taken against their will.

Not getting too far into the grosser aspects of this -- the vast majority of those trafficked and those that have their pictures shared online are sadly pre-pubescent children, toddlers and even babies.

As for the activism portion of your comment -- I have spoken with several colleagues who have seen the movie, people who are generally informed about this epidemic, who are making a commitment to doing things differently in their jobs in order to be more effective in protecting these and all children.

I've talked to relatives who know what I do, but aren't as in-tune about this issue that have reached out to me asking what they can do to help.

Call it activism or whatever you want -- I'm just happy that there is more awareness today than there was 3 weeks ago and there will be more 3 weeks from now than there is today.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
First of all it is a true story --- as with every "true" story, some parts are exaggerated for effect.

Secondly, as accurate as you are about kids being "kicked out of their homes because of their lifestyle" I can guarantee you that percentage is miniscule compared with those taken against their will.

Not getting too far into the grosser aspects of this -- the vast majority of those trafficked and those that have their pictures shared online are sadly pre-pubescent children, toddlers and even babies.

As for the activism portion of your comment -- I have spoken with several colleagues who have seen the movie, people who are generally informed about this epidemic, who are making a commitment to doing things differently in their jobs in order to be more effective in protecting these and all children.

I've talked to relatives who know what I do, but aren't as in-tune about this issue that have reached out to me asking what they can do to help.

Call it activism or whatever you want -- I'm just happy that there is more awareness today than there was 3 weeks ago and there will be more 3 weeks from now than there is today.

People have been scared about their kids being kidnapped long before this movie came out.

There's instances all the time of "nosy" people calling the cops because a dad(I'm sure it happens to moms too) out with their daughter/son who look different is suspicious.

A lot of parents don't let their kids out in the neighborhood these days because they're worried about kids getting scooped into vans.

I understand your work can sometimes put you adjacent to these situations but from groups who work specifically in this field say in the US most of the kids aren't the ones that are victims of some snatch and grab. They are kids who are runaways or are kicked out of their homes by disapproving parents.

But this conversation is veering away from the thread topic so I will check out here.

Thank you for your perspective.

Reactions: Spooner st

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just can't believe how much some forgettable shoot-em-up action B-Movie is being used as a political football by both sides.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
People have been scared about their kids being kidnapped long before this movie came out.

There's instances all the time of "nosy" people calling the cops because a dad(I'm sure it happens to moms too) out with their daughter/son who look different is suspicious.

A lot of parents don't let their kids out in the neighborhood these days because they're worried about kids getting scooped into vans.

I understand your work can sometimes put you adjacent to these situations but from groups who work specifically in this field say in the US most of the kids aren't the ones that are victims of some snatch and grab. They are kids who are runaways or are kicked out of their homes by disapproving parents.

But this conversation is veering away from the thread topic so I will check out here.

Thank you for your perspective.

There are literally millions of images of young children being abused floating around the internet at this very moment.

Not teens who have run away -- children.

It's very simple --- yes, many, many more are abducted from places other than the US, but it does happen here.

Far, far more than you're implying.

I can attest to at least 30 in my little, tiny, corner of the world over the past 3 years.

For reference watch the Disappearance of Madeline McCann on Netflix.

One of the PI's that they hired to find her was traumatized because in order to investigate these kidnappings, one needs to delve into that world and he was horrified by the content and volume of the images he needed to review in order to do his investigation.

But, I will also move on as we are getting off track.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I was the guest for our Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part one podcast breakdown (which also got into the whole franchise) if anyone wants to hear my thoughts.

Bonus: I don't really have much of a Boston accent, but it slipped out at one point like a thunderbolt going off next to your head.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Date night @ Barbie
IMG_6076.jpeg

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Saw The Sound of Freedom on Sunday.

Obviously very heavy.

I felt I had to watch it though because I work and have worked with so many kids who have been victimized or trafficked.

Because of what I do, I’ve become very good at compartmentalization, but there were scenes in this movie that even challenged my ability to do so.

This movie is so important though. There is obviously no entirely accurate way to determine how many children are trafficked each year, but if you don’t work in my field, I can almost gurantee that you’d be shocked at the number.

If you truly don’t think you can handle it, I understand, entirely.

But if you can, please see it.

You never know how things like this can inspire people to do good things.

I had no plans or desires to see it but a cousin of mine saw it and said I had to see it. Very glad I went. Eye opening and very solid/ thought provoking movie.

Also saw John wick 4. Unfortunately didn’t get to see it in theatres but if you haven’t seen it and you liked John wick 1-3 you’ll enjoy the 4th as well. Keanu does a great job once again

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
I thought Oppenheimer presented an interesting take on the "great man" archetype thats been ubiquitous throughout all of American film history. Think Citizen Kane, The Godfather or There Will Be Blood. The more the men in those films thirst for and accumulate power and wealth, the more corrupt and depraved and robotic they become. Oppenheimer reaches the pinnacle of his field, but instead of pushing for never ending growth in it, pushing for the creation he helped steward into reality to more readily available for warfare. To be pushing for more powerful atomic bombs, or to his later misfortune, a hydrogen bomb. Instead, he speaks his conscience, whatever it may have been at that moment and of his guilt. In a sense, Nolan has taken a story about the 20th century and made it about the 21st- about a man without strong convictions or beliefs, who pushes the technological envelope to its breaking point and is forced to deal with the fall out by attempting to mitigate the completely foreseeable consequences of his creation after its too late. Essentially, Oppenheimer does the opposite of the characters in those other movies but the end result is the same. He he won, but at what cost?

I thought it was very engaging, quickest three hours I can remember in a theatre. What is with the music in these films though? So loud. The musical cues in All Quiet last year almost ruined the movie for me, and that was at home.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
What is with the music in these films though? So loud. The musical cues in All Quiet last year almost ruined the movie for me, and that was at home.

I noticed this the other day watching Mission Impossible. I prepare for it with Chris Nolan and Hans Zimmer movies, but not Mission. Felt like I was at a concert after.

Reactions: MustardStew

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I thought Crowe's best work was in A Beautiful Mind. He's got range too.

Crowe probably should have won 4 oscars. His work from like 1997-2005 was just on a all time historic level

LA Confidential
the Insider
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
Master and Commander
Cinderella Man.

All could have easily been Oscar wins.

Not winning for A beautiful mind was criminal, and face it political. He was everything about that movie, and yet it wins best picture and he doesn't win.
I'd argue the same for Cinderella man, where he is brilliant. He acts more with his eyes in that movie, than most can act with their whole body

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Crowe probably should have won 4 oscars. His work from like 1997-2005 was just on a all time historic level

LA Confidential
the Insider
Gladiator
A Beautiful Mind
Master and Commander
Cinderella Man.

All could have easily been Oscar wins.

Not winning for A beautiful mind was criminal, and face it political. He was everything about that movie, and yet it wins best picture and he doesn't win.
I'd argue the same for Cinderella man, where he is brilliant. He acts more with his eyes in that movie, than most can act with their whole body

I think A Beautiful Mind is pretty bad, but the fact it won everything yet he didn't was insane. INSANE! Especially because he was awesome!

(My issues with the film are mostly script, directing, and editing related. Incredible cast.)

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Cant stand Tom Cruise.
I’Ve never seen a single Mission Impossible and only saw original Top Gun.
Even then I hoped he’d crash.
Not a fan but you have to give him credit. He's been an A list movie star for forty years and he can *still* open a flick big.

I saw Risky Business (1983) in theater at the time and loved it. 2002's Minority Report is my other favorite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lopey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad