Most overrated player on your favourite team - past or present

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sens: Mike Fisher
Great secondary player but he was overrated due to his style of play and the fact that he was genuinely one of the most wholesome and likeable players in the game. Plus, he was eye candy for all the lady fans.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Easily Kirby Dach imo

I think he's a good player, but some of us saw him dislodging Suzuki as the first line center one day - ain't happening never

Like, IMO, he ain't even the second best center on that team, I think that Newhook would be it

If one day we get 60+ points out of Dach, I'll be happy
He was derailed by injuries. It’s silly to put him here, especially now with him recovering from being a year and a half off.

Reactions: Bradely

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Who is the most overrated player on your team past or present?

For Montreal, I vote Arber Xhekaj. I’ve never seen a more overrated player in my 30 years of watching this team. Yeah , he’s tough, but he’s not good at hockey.
If he didn’t have a cool name, work at Costco and beat guys heads in occasionally, nobody would even care.

Past: Adam Graves. Good players, don't get me wrong. But getting his number retired at MSG is still baffling to me.

Present: Matt Rempe. Never seen so much hype for a guy who plays 5 minutes a night.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
:canes

I'm debating between Jeff Skinner and Noah Hanifin. Skinner overall is one of the best natural goal-scorers in team history but played no defense and if he wasn't having a good season, he was useless.

Hanifin looking back on it was overhyped. He wasn't drafted into the best situation but at the same time, Pesce and Slavin both turned into what Hanifin was drafted to be, someone who was reliable. Traded for Dougie Hamilton who played the same number of seasons and became way more of a fan favorite than Hanifin.

I'd probably pick Skinner, he had 63 points his rookie year and was looking like a potential 100 point player. He unfortunately peaked for Carolina after turning 19.
No sir. Neither of thise guys were over rated, they always had detractors. Jeff O'Neil is the answer. He has a solid forward but because he played with a shiner in the playoffs he was hailed and a super star until he left and talked shit about the team and than everyone hated him. Before he opened his mouth though

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Looking him go right now....

Who do you take? Newhook or Dach?
I think Dach is a better player. I think he’s making his way back from injury and shaking off a lot of rust.

Look at Caufield last year…. His shot percentage from mid ice fell by two thirds after his shoulder surgery. Now he’s got 15 goals in his last 15 dating back to last year.

It takes time to recover.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
I think Dach is a better player. I think he’s making his way back from injury and shaking off a lot of rust.

Look at Caufield last year…. His shot percentage from mid ice fell by two thirds after his shoulder surgery. Now he’s got 15 goals in his last 15 dating back to last year.

It takes time to recover.
To be fair, torn MCL + ACL is the type of injury a lot of athletes never fully recover from.

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I feel like Alex Killorn for the Lightning is a good pick. The guy had some moments but overall his hockey iq and skill level was subpar. Even so he is beloved by most Lightning fans.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Who is the most overrated player on your team past or present?

For Montreal, I vote Arber Xhekaj. I’ve never seen a more overrated player in my 30 years of watching this team. Yeah , he’s tough, but he’s not good at hockey.
If he didn’t have a cool name, work at Costco and beat guys heads in occasionally, nobody would even care.
xhekaj is probably the most overrated in the league right now but past or present included i figured it would be subban.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
Laine & PLD, thank goodness both are gone and someone else's problem now.
Laine wasn't bad in WPG and you have 0 arguments against that.
1000007236.jpg

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Okay.

Let’s give him more than six games to see if that’s going to be the case here.
Sure. I think a $3.3m cap hit represent well his abilities so i have absolutely nothing to say against the guy. He can be useful. I just don't think he's gonna reach anywhere near his ceiling.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Probably Chiarot. Absolute dumbass of a hockey player. Wings fans try to say he was good last year, I guess it's true to a certain extent that he was better than the year prior but he's a guy with negative hockey IQ and chemistry with his teammates. He even tries to punch them. He actually has decent tools with his skating and being able to handle the puck so he often goes for a skate in the offensive zone but they always lead to nothing. Even in interviews he mentions he just "plays his game" and doesn't even try to adjust to his partner. As a result, whenever Seider has to play with this bozo he's the one who has to stay back and cover for him. There's a reason every player on the ice plays worse with him, but he's a "vet" so Lalonde isn't going to do anything about it and will always use him in the top 4 as a "stabilizing" presence beside one of the younger D.

I feel like Wings fans don't overrate players too often but if I had to choose players from the past, it would probably be a goalie like Howard or Osgood. No that they were bad by any means but they do tend to get looked back on a bit too favorably because they were the best choice at the time but they are average to above average goalies that were consistent for a long time, which definitely has its value. Being above average certainly isn't a bad thing at all, that's like a top 15-20 goalie in the league.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Ryan Suter played so many minutes and was such a workhorse and was so efficent because he was the most mediocre talent the world has ever seen.

Oops it was supposed to be on your favorite team. For the purposes of this thread, the Wild (shudder) are my favorite team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad