Most overrated player in the NHL?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don’t understand how people like Marner and Matthews, who HFboards consistently complains about, can be considered overrated?

I’m not the biggest Marner fan, but no one is overrating him. Everyone knows he isn’t out there elevating his play in the playoffs.

Matthews, maybe I can see the point? But if he’s not top 3, he’s certainly top 5. How a top 5 player can be overrated doesn’t make any sense to me

HFboards has polls where people are saying svechnikov is better than Marner and they’d rather have Stutzle over matthews

How can that possibly be seen as overrated? Lmfao

All of the arguments I am reading about Matthews and Marner should really be applied to Connor hellebyuck. I think he’s proven to be the most overrated player in the NHL

But no one knows f*** all or cares about Winnipeg, this is an embarassing playoff performance for a superstar

View attachment 863046
I'm not sure he's Top 5. At times, I'm not sure he's Top 10. :)

I know right? He's 36 and put up 42 goals and 94 points this season, nearly 30 more than Malkin yet somehow he's overrated :laugh:
Yup! That one I don't get.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Based on reputation at one point, contract and assets given for him....

Pierre Luc Dubois

What an absolute bum.

Reactions: kp61c

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
That’s why I’m bringing up objectivity. Hfboards posters ‘thinking’ someone is top 5 is just subjective and is bound to be a mess.

Have to kind of step outside the hfboards anti-leaf echo chamber and see what other people with opinions think

The lowest I can find anyone outside of here ranking Matthews is 7th, but more often than not he is top 5

You forgot ESPN ranking him as the #1 player in the playoffs.

Also, by posting these rankings, you're literally helping make the point that he is overrated by media and Leafs fans.

Now look a what his peers + objective fans think of him. He's an amazing regular season goal scorer. C'est tout. Not a Selke nominee. Not someone you put out there when the pressure is on.

Reactions: geebster

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Dubois. What does everyone see in him? He's nothing but a floater who puts in zero effort. Just puts in his time and cashes his pay cheques.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
You forgot ESPN ranking him as the #1 player in the playoffs.

Also, by posting these rankings, you're literally helping make the point that he is overrated by media and Leafs fans.

Now look a what his peers + objective fans think of him. He's an amazing regular season goal scorer. C'est tout. Not a Selke nominee. Not someone you put out there when the pressure is on.

I believe his peers voted him the best player in the league and you saying fans are objective I’ve already disproven by pointing out the player polls on this very website

Toronto Maple Leafs star Auston Matthews has won the Ted Lindsay Award, given to the most outstanding NHL player, as voted by the players.

The win makes him the first player in Maple Leafs history to earn the honour, and only the second American-born player, with Patrick Kane having won in 2015-16.

Anything else you feel like being wrong about today?

McRegular

Apr 27, 2024
Has to be Rantanen. Dude is a 70 point guy without leeching from MacKinnon and Makar. Not a bad player but certainly not a superstar.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Dubois. What does everyone see in him? He's nothing but a floater who puts in zero effort. Just puts in his time and cashes his pay cheques.

At this point, doesn't he have a reputation for being one of the laziest players in the League and nonchalant and uncaring?

People consider him talented to an extent, but I think it's pretty well-known (at least on here) that his GAF meter is often broken.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
I believe his peers voted him the best player in the league and you saying fans are objective I’ve already disproven by pointing out the player polls on this very website

Anything else you feel like being wrong about today?

What date was the vote for that award?

Matthews no-shows the players poll from this year.

The issue is that people like you base your opinion on Matthews' regular season goal scoring. Then you salt that opinion with a dash of Selke fiction.

The playoffs are what counts. It's where legends are made and reputations are built. Matthews doesn't show up when the pressure is on. Exactly the reason he couldn't score his 70th this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anantika

Strangle

May 4, 2009
What date was the vote for that award?

Matthews no-shows the players poll from this year.

The issue is that people like you base your opinion on Matthews' regular season goal scoring. Then you salt that opinion with a dash of Selke fiction.

The playoffs are what counts. It's where legends are made and reputations are built. Matthews doesn't show up when the pressure is on. Exactly the reason he couldn't score his 70th this year.

And the problem with people like you, is you hate the maple leafs

That’s all any of this ever comes down to with leaf players. You’re wildly biased and resort to gaslighting because you don’t like Toronto

Does the regular season not count or something? Does bedard suck because he is judged only on his regular season stats?

Do you understand the logic you’re using doesn’t work and is not consistent?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Brady Tkachuck has got to be up there.

The value his fans put on him is insane and for a guy who’s touted for his leadership, he’s sure led Ottawa to nothing but failures.

Hitting and throwing tantrums =/= leadership

Reactions: I am not exposed

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Has to be Rantanen. Dude is a 70 point guy without leeching from MacKinnon and Makar. Not a bad player but certainly not a superstar.

He had 87 points and was a 1.17 ppg player the year before Makar got to Colorado. MacKinnon himself was only 1.21 ppg that year. If Rantanen is a mooch, he’s an extremely efficient one.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005

That’s all any of this ever comes down to with leaf players. You’re wildly biased and resort to gaslighting because you don’t like Toronto
People think about the Leafs far less often than you believe that they do. The percentage of people who "hate the Leafs" on these boards is far lower than you repeatedly claim - but because you believe this to be true, you actively seek out data that supports your preconceived notion.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think a lot of the top players on terrible teams are worse than they think they are, and would not get the icetime, PP time, or be on the 1st line of true contenders.

Barzal, Larkin, B.Tkachuk, Suzuki.

Back when Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle were Oilers, I didn't realise the gap there was between those guys and McDavid Mackinnon, Kuch.

He had 87 points and was a 1.17 ppg player the year before Makar got to Colorado. MacKinnon himself was only 1.21 ppg that year. If Rantanen is a mooch, he’s an extremely efficient one.
Haha I'm an Oiler fan too, but that guy is clearly trolling.

We heard the same things said about Draisaitl. Rantanen is legit. Wish he were an Oiler.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucker3434

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Does the regular season not count or something? Does bedard suck because he is judged only on his regular season stats?

Do you understand the logic you’re using doesn’t work and is not consistent?

Cut him some slack. He may never see his team in the playoffs again. The poor guy has to get his jollies somehow.

Brady Tkachuck has got to be up there.

The value his fans put on him is insane and for a guy who’s touted for his leadership, he’s sure led Ottawa to nothing but failures.

Hitting and throwing tantrums =/= leadership.

You said it.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Well Nylander surely doesn’t show up in the score sheet in the playoffs any more than Marner does.

0.91ppg vs. 0.78ppg

Tonight is a good example of why Nylander > Marner in the playoffs.

He scored two goals and they were both important. Marner has played every game of the series vs BOS and has one goal and it wasn't that important. It gave the team a little bit of a chance, but it was more window-dressing than anything else.

Since 2020:

Mitch Marner: 6 goals, 33 points in 36 games

William Nylander: 16 goals (most on the team), 31 points in 33 games

The stats look similar, but context matters. Marner has averaged more than four more minutes of ice time per game. Nylander has more than double the goals (and goals are in fact > secondary assists). Marner's salary is substantially higher until Nylander's new contract kicks in. Most importantly, Mitch's performance gets worse as a series progresses and Nylander's remains steady or gets better. I can think of numerous important goals he's scored in the playoffs. Can't think of many for Mitch.

I want to see Marner step up and carry his team to victory in game seven this year. Matthews did it in game two. Nylander did it tonight. Now it's his turn.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Darnell Nurse...

The guy f***ing sucks....Almost $10M for an average-ish player really. Oil fans defend him as a top pairing dman, "Only 2.5M overpaid" etc.

Reactions: Ace of Hades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad