Most overrated player in the NHL?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Who actually objectively can say he’s not, though?

You have a poll on this board of people taking Stutzle over Matthews. It’s actually embarassing for this entire board

You asked how it was possible. That's how it's possible.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
But it’s dumb, Matthews isn’t boqist

Has to at least be objective and not absolutely ridiculous

I was giving you a deliberately absurd example (Boqvist) so that you would understand that it's possible. (And I honestly didn't think we'd still be arguing at this point).

My guess is that there are more than five players who a decent majority of HFBoards posters think are "top five players". They can't all be top five players.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Still Fleury. The only way this guy should get into the HOF is if he bough a ticket. But that cheeky smile and being around for so long has fooled people into thinking he is some elite goaltender who should be 1st ballot HOF!

I buy the argument that he’s had an overrated career, but I don’t think he’s overrated now. What’s odd is I don’t remember him ever being overvalued, really, either, it just kinda cumulates in hindsight.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I was giving you a deliberately absurd example (Boqvist) so that you would understand that it's possible. (And I honestly didn't think we'd still be arguing at this point).

My guess is that there are more than five players who a decent majority of HFBoards posters think are "top five players". They can't all be top five players.

That’s why I’m bringing up objectivity. Hfboards posters ‘thinking’ someone is top 5 is just subjective and is bound to be a mess.

Have to kind of step outside the hfboards anti-leaf echo chamber and see what other people with opinions think

The lowest I can find anyone outside of here ranking Matthews is 7th, but more often than not he is top 5

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
Matthews: overrated by media outlets and talking heads.

Matthews: underrated on these boards.

That's how it is possible.

There are posters here who have argued he’s better than McD, though. Not many of them, but we aren’t a monolith. Lots of posters rate him very highly.

Ofcourse this turns into Leafs players thread

I mean, come playoffs they seem to be proven to be overrated, so ya? Marner especially, he’s just the most obvious let down in the league. No one thinks PLD is actually good, anymore.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
There are posters here who have argued he’s better than McD, though. Not many of them, but we aren’t a monolith. Lots of posters rate him very highly.

I mean, come playoffs they seem to be proven to be overrated, so ya? Marner especially, he’s just the most obvious let down in the league. No one thinks PLD is actually good, anymore.

That's true, but they are the minority as you said. There was a poll between McDavid and Point, and a few chose Point! There is always going to be some weird outliers and crazy fans.

On the flipside Matthews constantly loses to player polls here when he really shouldn't.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
That's true, but they are the minority as you said. There was a poll between McDavid and Point, and a few chose Point! There is always going to be some weird outliers and crazy fans.

On the flipside Matthews constantly loses to player polls here when he really shouldn't.

Ya, there are some real wackadoodle opinions out there. Besides McDavid, Makar, and Tage Thompson there aren’t many guys I’d take over Matthews.

;)

Reactions: Steerpike

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Who actually objectively can say he’s not, though?

You have a poll on this board of people taking Stutzle over Matthews. It’s actually embarassing for this entire board
It's funny that you're still butt hurt about that poll, talk about rent free. But lets not forget that the poll was coming off of last season, and was supposed to take their contracts into consideration. It was not the two players in a vacuum like your post is suggesting.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Matthews, maybe I can see the point? But if he’s not top 3, he’s certainly top 5. How a top 5 player can be overrated doesn’t make any sense to me
I've seen Leaf fans insist he's better than MacKinnon. Those claims have died down after the season MacKinnon just had, but prior you'd have a truckload of fans saying Matthews is clearly better.

You ask how a "top 5" player can be overrated? When his fanbase consistently talks as though he's top 2. Hell, YOU even linked to a poll where Matthews was rated NUMBER ONE over even McDavid. You literally provided a poll result that is evidence of him being overrated.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
It's funny that you're still butt hurt about that poll, talk about rent free. But lets not forget that the poll was coming off of last season, and was supposed to take their contracts into consideration. It was not the two players in a vacuum like your post is suggesting.

I wouldn’t say I’m butt hurt as much as it dumbfoundedly made me realize how out of touch hfboards posters actually are

I've seen Leaf fans insist he's better than MacKinnon. Those claims have died down after the season MacKinnon just had, but prior you'd have a truckload of fans saying Matthews is clearly better.

You ask how a "top 5" player can be overrated? When his fanbase consistently talks as though he's top 2. Hell, YOU even linked to a poll where Matthews was rated NUMBER ONE over even McDavid. You literally provided a poll result that is evidence of him being overrated.

I think that’s just our differences over degrees of what over rated really means. Is he slotted 2-3 spots different than what the next guy thinks? That’s just an arguable position to me

Overrated means something entirely different

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

At the end of the day, Matthews is in the same class of player Mackinnon is. However, he’s had nowhere near the postseason success, nor has he stepped it up in the playoffs the way Mack does.

That’s all that really separates those two players. If you flipped their postseason performances and Matthews had a cup with great stats it’d be a completely different story.

Having watched almost all the Leaf playoff games, I think Matthews play has been better than his numbers suggest but he certainly hasn’t been great.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
People think that for someone to be overrated they have to be a bad player that people think is good. That is not the case, good players and even great players can be overrated, case in point Auston Matthews.

Matthews is an elite goal scorer, best goal scorer in the game, but yet he is incredibly overrated. The Leafs have a 39-15-2 record when Matthews is OUT of the lineup, that's not good for his 'impact' on the team, Matthews scores at a 72 points per 82 game pace in the playoffs, not terrible, but not worthy of being placed in the same tier of players as McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov etc..

The best players in the game, elevate their play when the games matter most, for 8 seasons Matthews has proven to NOT be that guy, I'm not saying he never will, he may figure it out much like a player like Datsuyk was criticized early in his career for not being a playoff performer until he figured it out, but until Matthews does that, he does not deserve to be in the conversation with the best players in the game.

That's the definition of overrated.
He's the modern day Joe Thornton. Except he scores goals in the regular season where Thornton was more of a playmaker/setup type who thrived on assists in his prime. Both vanish in the playoffs. Thomas Vanek was another one who would score a bunch but turn into Thomas Vanish in the playoffs

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I've got two:

Cole Caufield - Often talked about the next biggest goal scorer. A top goal scoring threat. A career high of 28 goals doesn't really drive that reputation for me. He'll be a good top 6 player, like Alex Debrincat but he's not going to be the elite goal scorer people have claimed him to be.

Jake Oettinger - Look he had an excellent season last year. But I can't put a goalie with .905 sv% in the top 5 in the NHL. He's good, but I find he lets in some ugly goals.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've got two:

Cole Caufield - Often talked about the next biggest goal scorer. A top goal scoring threat. A career high of 28 goals doesn't really drive that reputation for me. He'll be a good top 6 player, like Alex Debrincat but he's not going to be the elite goal scorer people have claimed him to be.

Jake Oettinger - Look he had an excellent season last year. But I can't put a goalie with .905 sv% in the top 5 in the NHL. He's good, but I find he lets in some ugly goals.
Caufield is INSANELY overrated. The ultimate floater - let's everyone else do the heavy lifting, then swoops in for a goal.

Crosby nowadays for sure and Gaudreau
Crosby???? WOW!

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
When I said Matthews 2 seasons ago I almost got crucified by the leafs brigade. I'm glad the hfboards consensus has finally caught up.

Matthew most overrated in the modern era AINEC.
^^ It's hard to say... ^^

He scores a TON and that is ultra rare. He also back checks well. Having said all that, if you make it tough on him, he disappears. As a Leaf fan, in the regular season, you love him. In the playoffs, not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad