Value of: Moritz Seider Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Detroit has tons of cap space. It makes far more sense to give him a long term deal now

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
If you are Seider agent. You are looking at Nurse and Jones contracts. 2 other highly regarder young dman who got paid.

Yzerman may not like it and bridge him, but 1000% sure that's what his agent is aiming at

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Dubas?

Several players have gone from ELC straight into 8 years that aren't Leafs players...
Who ever it was, who started the trend. My point was that Yzerman has always signed a bridge after ELC, that's the way he operates. How many +5-year deals Yzerman has ever done? 5?

Matt Carle 6 years(2012)
Ryan Callahan 6 years(2014)
Steven Stamkos 8 years(2016)
Ryan McDonagh 7 years(2018)
Dylan Larkin 8 years(2023)

Rarely Yzerman signs anyone with max years.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
FO will want long term, Seider will want bridge because everyone knows how high cap is going, FO will have to make it worth it for Seider to go long term.

I am curious to see how Yzerman handles and sets the upper limits of the cap for the teams core. I think in the end Yzerman and Seider agree to 8x8.5mm. Not quite best D-man in league level, and not quite Larkin level, helping set the limit for future players on the wings going forward.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I was thinking the Ekblad contract would be comparable: in 2016, he received what would be ten percent of the cap the first season of the contract (7.5/75). Both players were big RD with offensive talent and won the Calder. Seider has put up better raw numbers but the performances are similar adjusting for scoring.

I guess this mean a contract of about 8.4M for 8 years

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
If you are Seider agent. You are looking at Nurse and Jones contracts. 2 other highly regarder young dman who got paid.

Yzerman may not like it and bridge him, but 1000% sure that's what his agent is aiming at

Jones and Nurse got paid premiums by bad management teams. Those were also their 3rd contracts, not 2nd.

Makar and Heiskanen deals will be more similar. 2nd contracts.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Strange, but it always seems that these big contracts mark the closing of a team's window to compete.

Even though they have lots of cap space, the UFA market is very poor.

Even though they have many draft picks, the impact these players will have on their roster is likely years away.

The age demographic of the team doesn't make much sense unless they are planning a rebuild with an ageing Larkin at the helm.

In Detroit's case, they seemed to close their window each time before opening it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
6 years x 8.25 mil and then he signs big time deal at 28 years old.
Not sure he wants to lock into 8 years when cap will be going up.
Yzerman would be buying 3 UFA years and that gives him enough time to keep building.

If 8 yr, I'd expect around $9.5 million? In line with the other top tier D prospects who got paid big time off their ELCs.

• Wow
Reactions: FlyguyOX

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`d go for a 3x 5,5-6M if I was him. Establish yourself as a 1D and then go 8x 10M+

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Depends if his next season is like this 21-22 or 22-23. If last season was a sophomore slump, then he will be getting 8 or more. If next season is more like 22-23 he will be getting 5-6.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
His 22-23 season turned around as soon as they moved Chiarot away from him.

I disagree, Chiarot is a blackhole, no question, but Mo's play was unspectacular outside of a stretch before the ASG. By the TDL he was back to being not as good as he was the year prior. Basically a stretch between January 1 and February 15th he was looking like rookie Mo. The rest of the season wasn't nearly as good.

• Haha
Reactions: WaW

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Dubas?

Several players have gone from ELC straight into 8 years that aren't Leafs players...
True, they all signed for 5-6 years at the some money as other teams players would sign for 8 years. Dubie was so awesome.

Seider, tough to say does he go for the bridge. Earnings (and security) wise it's likely wiser to go long-term immediately if you're getting like 8x$8M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad