Injury Report: Morgan Rielly out 8 weeks with a fractured foot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Rielly hasn't exactly been a difference maker this year...I think we can survive this injury.

We can survive a lot of injuries if Freddy plays like himself and not what we've seen over the past couple weeks.
I mean, he hasn't been great but he's still a huge part of our transition game from the back and is important to our offense. Despite his poor play and getting moved off the top PP unit he's still scoring at a 50 pt pace...d-men with that kind of production aren't very easy to replace.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Barrie was already on the top PP unit, Rielly was on the 2nd.

He'll either be replaced by Sandin or Dermott, maybe even Holl.

My guess is it will be Sandin, even if it takes a few games before that switch it made. That's how you can boost up his minutes and let Dermott sit so he can get the 5v5 minutes.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
With Reilly gone for 2 months that takes us to the trade deadline. We place him on LTIR and replace him with another dman that can step in. At deadline trade Ceci for anything and Reilly comes back.

Probably best for him to rest for a couple of months anyhow. He's been injured all season long and playing injured. Better for him to rest up for playoffs.

Trade deadline is 6 weeks away. Team says he will be re-evaluated after 8 weeks. Assuming the timeline stays at that he won't even be evaluated until March 9. I know Ceci hasn't been great so far, but can we really afford to trade him at the deadline and give up another NHL dman until Rielly comes back 2-3 weeks later? This is certainly a punch in the gut.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The plan entering the season was a 21 man roster to be cap compliant. We’ve been down to a 21 man roster for 1 day. Even then Moore was hurt. Ignoring Horton and Clarkson we’ve had a 2+ million contract on LTIR every other day of the season and that will continue to mid March now, it’s crazy.

Hyman
Dermott
Tavares
Marner
Moore
Muzzin
Mikheyev
Johnsson
Rielly

Am I missing anyone? Maybe it’s be easier to list who hasn’t been injured. At least the list doesn’t include Andersen, that would be the worst.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
It's not going to be easy to overcome by any means but the people writing off the season must not be grasping just how bad Rielly has been this year.

Reactions: LeafsRus

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No worries Leaf fans, we'll just win 9-8. Seriously, with the two best dmen of a tire fire of a D out, I would think hard about starting a reset.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I mean, he hasn't been great but he's still a huge part of our transition game from the back and is important to our offense. Despite his poor play and getting moved off the top PP unit he's still scoring at a 50 pt pace...d-men with that kind of production aren't very easy to replace.

I am not knocking him, I just think he looked off all year and that this isn't as catastrophic (in itself) as it looks...it's the fact Muzzin is also out that makes it a disaster.

Still, I think we can still be a playoff team. I have a lot of belief in Sandin, I think he will fill in the top eventually, and do a noble job of it.

The big boys will need to keep scoring, though. We need Freddy to step up big time as well.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Guys, we're in a playoff spot. This is a big hit but the season isn't over, we've been winning games off the back of our forwards anyways.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
If this injury would have happened to last year's Rielly, I'd say this is a huge loss. But quite frankly, he hasn't played very well all season and has made numerous errors. This might be good for him to get over whatever is bothering him and we'll be stronger for the playoffs. I think Dubas has to either make a trade or play both Lily and Sandin which wouldn't be the worse thing considering what a disaster our defence has been.

Also, the more devastating injury would have been to Andersen. We know he's going to play better at some point soon cause he's done it in the past. Give him a huge workload and see what happens by the time the playoffs arrive.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Yikes... this D is looking bad now.

I hope they can figure out something.

This could get rough.

Going to be some high scoring games

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Marincin. Pick him up soon otherwise someone will beat you to the punch.

Marincin was ranked in the 130’s by Yahoo the year before this one, may already be taken in his pool by someone who got auto drafted :sarcasm:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The good news here, is that we only have three games left, before the All-Star break. (Calgary, Hawks, Devils) Muzzin is back after that...

But, our LHD is going to have Marincin, or Dermott on the top pairing... yikes.

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't think many Leaf fans think that at all. Rielly's defence was a bit of a joke, though. We will miss his transition game, no doubt.
And we decided to put Rielly with Barrie who is a scared of his shadow. Barrie is the ultimate survivor of hit prevention. What a joke. Serves Dubie right for not fixing our defense. A lost season now. Florida will catch and pass us by. Dermy Holl Marincin Sandin Ceci and Barrie. This is the WORST defense in the NHL.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad