Morgan Rielly "It's stanley cup or bust. I think that’s how our group feels. Anything short of that will be a failure."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Knies-Matthews-Marner
Domi-Nylander-Robertson
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves
----------Kampf----------

Is our depth chart according to puckpedia
I figure 3 guys have a legitimate shot at making the team and not on there. Patches, A.Nylander and Cowan
Going to be a very interesting camp

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Morgan isn't really sure hence the "I think that's how our group feels".

1726788621278.png

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I have a feeling the Berube signing is going to be looked back on as the equivalent of the Oilers' hiring Dallas Eakins.

If the Leafs ever actually win something, I feel like some part of my own personal enjoyment in life will die.

How is this even possible -- in any imagineable scenario -- in the world's #1 hockey market, with the biggest fanbase, with the most revenue, and as a destination (unlike most Canadian cities) that players actually want to play in?:

2006 - Failed to win a playoff round
2007 - Failed to win a playoff round
2008 - Failed to win a playoff round
2009 - Failed to win a playoff round
2010 - Failed to win a playoff round
2011 - Failed to win a playoff round
2012 - Failed to win a playoff round
2013 - Failed to win a playoff round
2014 - Failed to win a playoff round
2015 - Failed to win a playoff round
2016 - Failed to win a playoff round
2017 - Failed to win a playoff round
2018 - Failed to win a playoff round
2019 - Failed to win a playoff round
2020 - Failed to win a playoff round
2021 - Failed to win a playoff round
2022 - Failed to win a playoff round
2023 - Won one playoff round
2024 - Failed to win a playoff round

It takes a kind of staggering managerial incompetence to pull that off.

Reactions: Laus723

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
If anything the "Cup or bust" pre-season narrative cost the Oilers last year.

They had their eyes on June in October and came into camp early and overworked themselves.
if they overworked themselves in the preseason wouldn't they have played well to start the season and then ran out of steam out by the end? Instead of the opposite happening?

Reactions: bert

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Clearly he’s trying to say the right thing and what not but say it better. “Every teams goal is to win the cup”. Would guess these guys go through at least a power point of how not to talk to the media. No one will remember this in a month tho.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Was a theme of the Leafs pressers this year which are different than years past where they would allude to the goal but never actually placed expectations on themselves.

This is the year the Leafs figure it out under Berube and go on a cup run.

The realization that their contention window with this core is firmly on the downslope has apparently set in...

Will be interesting to see if the added pressure makes them start wilting earlier than the playoffs, or if it finally pushes their core players to step up and play to their potential come playoff time.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Of course it’s their goal, it’s been their goal every year for the last several seasons. People can joke all they want, but I would be concerned if I heard the players suggest they only want to get past the first round or go for a long run. Lowering the bar doesn’t make any sense.

Not sure why this warrants a thread.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I have a feeling the Berube signing is going to be looked back on as the equivalent of the Oilers' hiring Dallas Eakins.

If the Leafs ever actually win something, I feel like some part of my own personal enjoyment in life will die.

How is this even possible -- in any imagineable scenario -- in the world's #1 hockey market, with the biggest fanbase, with the most revenue, and as a destination (unlike most Canadian cities) that players actually want to play in?:

2006 - Failed to win a playoff round
2007 - Failed to win a playoff round
2008 - Failed to win a playoff round
2009 - Failed to win a playoff round
2010 - Failed to win a playoff round
2011 - Failed to win a playoff round
2012 - Failed to win a playoff round
2013 - Failed to win a playoff round
2014 - Failed to win a playoff round
2015 - Failed to win a playoff round
2016 - Failed to win a playoff round
2017 - Failed to win a playoff round
2018 - Failed to win a playoff round
2019 - Failed to win a playoff round
2020 - Failed to win a playoff round
2021 - Failed to win a playoff round
2022 - Failed to win a playoff round
2023 - Won one playoff round
2024 - Failed to win a playoff round

It takes a kind of staggering managerial incompetence to pull that off.

Just because the best hockey players grew up there doesn't mean it is a destination.

I am sure they get more players wanting to come home than a lot of other Canadian cities, but it seems to be in the later years of their career.

Also, it takes a single year... Colorado has left the 2nd round once in the timeframe you pointed out.

Washington is the same.

Not saying Leafs will win, I'd bet the field against every team, they are likely a top 10 team though like most years.

Florida had a worse record during that time frame until two years ago, and I'd argue they and Tampa are the most attractive free agent destination, what was their excuse for so long?

Winning is hard, this post is dumb, these are the facts.

The realization that their contention window with this core is firmly on the downslope has apparently set in...

Will be interesting to see if the added pressure makes them start wilting earlier than the playoffs, or if it finally pushes their core players to step up and play to their potential come playoff time.

They've said this every year, this is not new.

They have multiple years of contention left.

Their best players are younger than Edmonton's and Edmonton just went on their best run.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

I don't think they are on the downslope at all. They have improved over a few years ago easily.

I think it's more the realization 2 of the 4 need new deals and the market lacks appetite to bring them all back. They see the end of the core on the horizon. Leafs are still in a great position

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They've said this every year, this is not new.
Really? "Cup or bust" ?
I hadn't caught that previously.

They have multiple years of contention left.
In suggesting "downward slope" I wasn't implying the window is closed, rather that they've got fewer years of contention left ahead with this core than they have behind them.

Their best players are younger than Edmonton's and Edmonton just went on their best run.
Will be interesting to see if Marner stays past this year.

defense has 1 regular under 30 & he's borderline top 4

Hasn't been a successful formula thus far, that sense of desperation is understandable, remains to be seen if the added pressure rallies then or breaks thrm

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Can someone explain why this is news? Players say this all the time. Even teams that missed the playoffs the previous year will say this, what’s the big deal?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't think they are on the downslope at all. They have improved over a few years ago easily.
Interesting. Can't say that I agree at all.

I think it's more the realization 2 of the 4 need new deals and the market lacks appetite to bring them all back. They see the end of the core on the horizon. Leafs are still in a great position
Definitely don't agree there. Same poor cap formula. Same massive ? in nets. Same questionable UFA signings. Old and very average D group.

Thin and mediocre prospect pool, 3 picks total in the first 4 rounds of the next two drafts.

All that's changed is the margin for error has decreased, and the likelihood of re-signing Marner is about the same as him leaving for nothing in the offseason.

Cup or bust is understandable... This year may well be their best shot before things start unravelling quickly (not unlike the Treliving experience in Calgary)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Really? "Cup or bust" ?
I hadn't caught that previously.

Maybe it isn't Rielly, but ya, they do.

I am sure every NHL player thinks it is Cup or bust.

No way has McDavid celebrated the same way their fans have for being losers, he is a pro athlete, and the ultimate goal is to win.

In suggesting "downward slope" I wasn't implying the window is closed, rather that they've got fewer years of contention left ahead with this core than they have behind them.

They finally have some decent ELCs coming up (Hunter sucked when running the drafts), I am excited about that, and then hopefully Woll stays healthy because when healthy, he's been a stud.

It depends on a few things, but not sure that it is a "downward slope", there are things to be excited about.

The core is exiting its prime though, I agree, we will see how they age.

Will be interesting to see if Marner stays past this year.

I think he is a great player and if the money is right, fantastic.

When he is on the ice, more goals are going into the other team's net than their own.

I think he was atrocious last year, but he gets way too much hate.

defense has 1 regular under 30 & he's borderline top 4

D is some concern.

I like Danford and Niemela as prospects, but not much else.

I think Liljegren has the tools to put it together too, but we will see, he hasn't yet.

They have 2-3 good years left with some of the D now, a lot can change in that timeframe, so who knows, I think they have an abundance of forwards and could make some moves for D if needed.

Hasn't been a successful formula thus far, that sense of desperation is understandable, remains to be seen if the added pressure rallies then or breaks thrm

One team had a successful formula last year and everyone got older, not saying Toronto is the favourite, but I think they got better from last year, and it just takes a run.

I also think they beat Boston if Woll is healthy and then who knows (Florida looked good, so they likely lose).

Their issue is scoring every year too, the depth scoring has been terrible, and the stars have been putting up PPG recently, but they get no help.

Hoping the young guys coming up will help with that, I am most excited about Greb and Cowan.

They are also starting Nylander at C, so this could be interesting and they might be able to get some depth scoring by running three good lines, the C depth right now looks like this Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, and Kampf.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Imagine someone coming out and saying "I hope we get eliminated in the 2nd round this year - that would be great" What's he supposed to say?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad