More points this year? Crosby vs Bedard

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

More points this season?

• Total voters

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Jagr had a really solid start to his career, but he only really exploded in year 5. And I'd consider him generational.

Even someone like Lemieux - he did good in his first 3 years, but really expoloded in year 4.

I had to read this twice... Which Lemieux are we talking about here? Because Mario had 100 points in his rookie year and was ninth in PPG. In his second season he was already second in league scoring (and PPG) only behind Wayne Gretzky...

And as for Jagr, unlike Crosby or Bedard Jagr played his first years on a strong Pens Team on the third line if I'm not mistaken.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I had to read this twice... Which Lemieux are we talking about here? Because Mario had 100 points in his rookie year and was ninth in PPG. In his second season he was already second in league scoring (and PPG) only behind Wayne Gretzky...

And as for Jagr, unlike Crosby or Bedard Jagr played his first years on a strong Pens Team on the third line if I'm not mistaken.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. I'm not saying Jagr nor especially Lemieux weren't great players early on - I'm just saying they became significantly better at their peaks (by year 4/5).

So for Bedard - I'd be willing to give it up to year 4 or 5 to see what his true peak will be, and judge if he is generational. We don't have to make a final call on that after just 1-2 seasons.

Reactions: Crow

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. I'm not saying Jagr nor especially Lemieux weren't great players early on - I'm just saying they became significantly better at their peaks (by year 4/5).

So for Bedard - I'd be willing to give it up to year 4 or 5 to see what his true peak will be, and judge if he is generational. We don't have to make a final call on that after just 1-2 seasons.
Crosby/malkin/OV/Mcdavid all had art ross and mvps by the end of their third seasons. He has until then or the hype may have been overblown

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think the perception of him being generational is more or less gone. If 80% of the forum thinks a 37 year old Crosby is going to outscore him, that tells me most don't see him as a true generational player. Don't get me wrong, Sid is still amazing, but he was t-12th in scoring and 16th in ppg last year as a 36 year old. It's probably unlikely he finishes any higher this year.

If Bedard finishes outside the top 15-20 in scoring, that would be a pretty big disappointment considering the hype.

Notable D+2 scoring finishes:
Gretzky 1st
Lemieux 2nd
Crosby 1st
McDavid 1st
Ovechkin 3rd
Stamkos 5th

I have some doubts he'll end up on this list next year. Looking more and more like he's a Kane/Matthews/Hughes tier talent, not a Crosby/McDavid. Which should absolutely not be taken as an insult.

Not all generational players light the world on fire in their second season though

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not all generational players light the world on fire in their second season though
Each of the 4 major generational centers has:
Gretzky
Lemieux
Crosby
McDavid

Lindros did as well, though I'm not sure I'd put him in the truly generational tier, mostly because of injuries.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Bedard is just playing in the wrong era where you have some of the most insane super scorers playing at one time. Draisaitl, Kucherov, MacKinnon, so right off the bat hes at a disadvantage

However he is uber talented and can read the ice really well. 85 plus easy.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad