More points next season: Slafkovsky vs Tavares

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who has more points next season?

• Tavares

Votes: 62 53.9%
  • Slafkovsky

Votes: 53 46.1%

• Total voters

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I’ve got Slaf in my keeper league so I hope he does well, but I still think it’s Tavares (hope I’m wrong)!

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Going with Slafkofsky. Anything can happen but he started to turn the corner last year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Why did Tavares score so little last year?

65 points? He's only 33 - league scoring is up, Toronto is a good team, it's weird. I could see a strong bounce back of ~85 points if he trains hard and is motivated to do well. This is a contract year for him too right?

Maybe he even blows it out and has 90-95 points in a contract year.

As a Habs fan I don't expect much out of Slafvosky. Maybe ~60-70 points tops - we're not allowed to have ppg players in Montreal. He'll have a good year, but I say he gets less points than Tavares.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

65 points? He's only 33 - league scoring is up, Toronto is a good team, it's weird. I could see a strong bounce back of ~85 points if he trains hard and is motivated to do well. This is a contract year for him too right?

I'll be absolutely shocked if he's a PPG player (in 78 or more games), let alone a 90+ point scorer.

He's very limited offensively at this point. His skating is very slow and the NHL is a League for speedy, dynamic players nowadays. If it was the Dead Puck Era or the mid 2000s (when he came close to winning an Art Ross), he might be fine with his lack of speed. But he seems to have lost a lot of his effectiveness offensively outside of cleaning up around the net and sniping from the slot area.

Reactions: bobholly39

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

As a Habs fan I don't expect much out of Slafvosky. Maybe ~60-70 points tops - we're not allowed to have ppg players in Montreal. He'll have a good year, but I say he gets less points than Tavares.

He was our third line C for half the year last year that's why.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If Tavares is on PP1 then he outscores Slaf but if he is on PP2 then Slaf outscores him

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Slow as shit, doesn't have the footspeed to do much at even strength. And for whatever reason, the one thing he usually has (good hands) he seemed to lose his timing/ability to stickhandle as well.

He's lucky he plays on a team with a PP that includes a 60+ goal scorer and can pad his stats with a handful of gimme points, and plays on a line with a guy who nearly scored 100 points (Nylander) otherwise his totals would have been even worse.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tavares plays with much better players. He will get a lot of points because of that. Tavares will be in the 70 point range. Slafkovsky will be 40-50.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tavares will probably be 3C at the end of the season with Kampf replacing him

@HFpapi @34 correct me if I’m wrong
This is your opinion. The roles players take are up to their coaches. Tavares, has been a top six, pp1 guy. That (imo) isn’t going to change. So he’s going to get good deployment with high end players. That adds up to a lot of points. Slafkovsky will get plenty of opportunity too. There’s no pressure on St. Louis to win so he can play guys like Slafkovsky more. But those minutes aren’t going to be with the elite offensive guys that Tavares will play with. So JT will get to 70 while Slafkovsky is more around 50.

Reactions: Coffees

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
This is your opinion. The roles players take are up to their coaches. Tavares, has been a top six, pp1 guy. That (imo) isn’t going to change. So he’s going to get good deployment with high end players. That adds up to a lot of points. Slafkovsky will get plenty of opportunity too. There’s no pressure on St. Louis to win so he can play guys like Slafkovsky more. But those minutes aren’t going to be with the elite offensive guys that Tavares will play with. So JT will get to 70 while Slafkovsky is more around 50.
your opinion is usually right more than mine but that doesn’t mean I can’t win this time.

I guess we’ll see…

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
your opinion is usually right more than mine but that doesn’t mean I can’t win this time.

I guess we’ll see…
If the thread was about which of the two players would we rather have right now then for me it’s Slafkovsky over Tavares. That’s likely something we would both agree on?

Reactions: Coffees

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'll be absolutely shocked if he's a PPG player (in 78 or more games), let alone a 90+ point scorer.

He's very limited offensively at this point. His skating is very slow and the NHL is a League for speedy, dynamic players nowadays. If it was the Dead Puck Era or the mid 2000s (when he came close to winning an Art Ross), he might be fine with his lack of speed. But he seems to have lost a lot of his effectiveness offensively outside of cleaning up around the net and sniping from the slot area.

Players in contract years often tend to surprise. But I admit I haven't exactly watched him or the Leafs too closely, so I don't have a lot of strong feedback on his recent play/speed, so not sure how much of that decline can be overcome or not in a bounce back year.

A few players have shot up in production in contract years lately. Nylander did it. Kadri. A few others.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I would take a hefty bet on Slafkovsky hitting 50+ this year. He did it last year while starting 7 in 28 games. A safe bet would be ~65 this year

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
More points I’d bet on Tavares. That Toronto PP is elite and so is their overall offense.
Tavares is one of those players who doesn’t impress me that much when I watch him but still manages to pop up on the scoring summary more often than not. He’s a smart player who may be declining skill wise but still knows where to be to contribute offensively.

Reactions: KJoe88 and banks

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think Slaf is going to have a breakout year. He’s really good.

Tavares is best his best before date. I used to consider him a top ten player in the league but that was a long time ago.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm picking Tavares.

It's kind of an interesting comparison. One player is expected to decline. How long can he hold off father time? The other is a young guy that could turn the corner. Will he break-out and when?

I just haven't been impressed by Slaf when I've watched Montreal. It's not that I don't like him, just that I haven't seen big games with my own eyes. Until I see that I'll go with the guy with the track record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad