Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Stamkos isn't a long shot, he's a no shot.

I can't think of a single reason why he would choose Montreal. We would have to offer way more than a southern state for equal money. We'd need to offer ridiculous money/term and that's IF that's what he's looking for, purely cash, which I'm willing to be he isn't. And this management isn't looking for a player like that either. I'm sure he'd rather give TB a hometown discount.
I can't see Stamkos coming here.

Reactions: Andrei79

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Not this year but we're clearly going to need to fill our holes through UFA, that's what HuGo was saying by MSL attracting players, because for the second year we won't be getting the players we want.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
If Draisaitl leaves Edm, he’s US bound
That is very likely. Yet I really wish Canadiens would hand out a competitive offer. More ammo from this draft, another step in the right direction with youngsters and Canadiens could be an exciting option. I assume he would get shitloads of money for advertisements, although Habs couldn't compete with money alone.

I just prefer they would go for the actual superstar, instead of paying 9+ millions to someone who just had a career year (ie. Reinhart). Draisaitl makes people around him better and he has proven himself without McDavid. Sure it's not a perfect situation but if you have to overpay, do it for someone who will deliver.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That is very likely. Yet I really wish Canadiens would hand out a competitive offer. More ammo from this draft, another step in the right direction with youngsters and Canadiens could be an exciting option. I assume he would get shitloads of money for advertisements, although Habs couldn't compete with money alone.

I just prefer they would go for the actual superstar, instead of paying 9+ millions to someone who just had a career year (ie. Reinhart). Draisaitl makes people around him better and he has proven himself without McDavid. Sure it's not a perfect situation but if you have to overpay, do it for someone who will deliver.
Cdn teams can benefit from structuring bonus contracts for US resident players (citizens or green card holders), unfortunately Draisaitl
doesn’t qualify

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lots of players do offer a discount, but Matthews was never going to do that. This is a guy who went to Europe rather then the NCAA before the draft because he wanted to be paid.

Matthews also probably has the PA glaring at his negotiations though. He's a bar setter.

Yeah, whatever plan we might make shouldn't be resting on signing any big star UFA, we never get them historically. Like, ever.

Most of every doesn't.

The Montreal Canadiens have done very well on the FA market over the years. That they don't is a complete myth that doesn't stand up to the most basic scrutiny.

Besides Tavares, when was the last time a star player signed with a Canadian team? It's not going to happen.

When is the last time one did with a team in California?

The only one that comes to mind is Scott Niedermayer and that was strictly to help his brother win a Cup.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Montreal Canadiens have done very well on the FA market over the years. That they don't is a complete myth that doesn't stand up to the most basic scrutiny.
Habs have tried to end end but have never been able to lure a top dog - a top-10/15 scorer

- Tried twice trading for Hossa’s right before official UFA period to get more time to negotiate, he wouldn’t even talk to Gainey

- Sundin, Briere, Stamkos, Tavares all refused

It’s also not just UFAs, since very few top end ever hit the market, very few ever waive their NTC/NMC for a Cdn market when such an opportunity arises, which again is rare.

Players are at least starting to become open & transparent about the reality as ROR stated last year, he didn’t realize what a fishbowl playing for the Leafs was like and preferred playing in a warm non-traditional hockey market - on why he chose Nash vs Tor

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Habs have tried to end end but have never been able to lure a top dog - a top-10/15 scorer

- Tried twice trading for Hossa’s right before official UFA period to get more time to negotiate, he wouldn’t even talk to Gainey

- Sundin, Briere, Stamkos, Tavares all refused

But you can apply that to most of every team. Superstars rarely hit FA in general.

The truth is that in the cap era, the Canadiens have signed Samsonov (top 6 player at time of signing), Hamrlik (top-pairing defenseman), Cammalleri (1st liner), Gionta (top-6), Cole (1st liner), Radulov (1st liner), Toffoli (1st liner) and other solid depth players on the market.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that we couldn't develop for shit but that's a better haul than most teams I'd reckon. Montreal has had no problems either retaining or acquiring players. Trying to paint it otherwise just strikes me as cope or ignorance.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
But you can apply that to most of every team. Superstars rarely hit FA in general.

The truth is that in the cap era, the Canadiens have signed Samsonov (top 6 player at time of signing), Hamrlik (top-pairing defenseman), Cammalleri (1st liner), Gionta (top-6), Cole (1st liner), Radulov (1st liner), Toffoli (1st liner) and other solid depth players on the market.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that we couldn't develop for shit but that's a better haul than most teams I'd reckon. Montreal has had no problems either retaining or acquiring players. Trying to paint it otherwise just strikes me as cope or ignorance.
This is not new, Langway wanted out of Canada “because of taxes” 40-years ago. Serge Savard said himself on Mitch Melnick’s show, he & Corey had to fly to NY to meet with Bellows in summer of 1992, because he refused to report to Mtl. They guaranteed him in writing Bellows would be traded back to a U.S. market of his choosing within max 2-seasons if he agreed to play for Habs. Savard also said there were other deals for offensive stars he simply couldn’t pull the trigger on because players refused to come to Mtl.

That was back when players had zero autonomy pre-1994 lockout

Btw - none of those players were anywhere near the caliber of Hossa, Briere, Stamkos, Tavares at the time of their relative UFA periods.

However, as I’ve stated many times, Habs best success seems to come from targeting American / American resident players which all of Gionta, Cammy, Hamrlik, Cole, and Toffoli were at the time of signings.

American players in particular seem to thrive and feed off wearing the CH and the frenzy of the market

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
This is not new, Langway wanted out of Canada “because of taxes” 40-years ago. Serge Savard said himself on Mitch Melnick’s show, he & Corey had to fly to NY to meet with Bellows in summer of 1992, because he refused to report to Mtl. They guaranteed him in writing Bellows would be traded back to a U.S. market of his choosing within max 2-seasons if he agreed to play for Habs. Savard also said there were other deals for offensive stars he simply couldn’t pull the trigger on because players refused to come to Mtl.

That was back when players had zero autonomy pre-1994 lockout

You're bringing stuff up from 40 years ago, in an era in which the Canadiens were also winning a million games + cups.

I'm not sure it's the problem you want to pretend it is, especially when you're talking about world-class cities like Montreal (you can add Toronto and Vancouver to that too).

Do I think that some players won't want to come here? Yeah, sure. I'd apply that a whole lot of other places too for a variety reasons. It's negligible. There's enough talent to go around.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You're bringing stuff up from 40 years ago, in an era in which the Canadiens were also winning a million games + cups.

I'm not sure it's the problem you want to pretend it is, especially when you're talking about world-class cities like Montreal (you can add Toronto and Vancouver to that too).

Do I think that some players won't want to come here? Yeah, sure. I'd apply that a whole lot of other places too for a variety reasons. It's negligible. There's enough talent to go around.
Habs desperately needed the Hossa, Sundin, Briere, Stamkos, Tavares during those particular years to put them over the top…. so no there isn’t enough top end talent to go around

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Habs desperately needed the Hossa, Sundin, Briere, Stamkos, Tavares during those particular years to put them over the top…. so no there isn’t enough top end talent to go around

90 percent of NHL teams could cry the same blues.

What's the biggest FA signing in Lightning history? What about the Sharks?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
A citizenship they acquired by having long careers in the NHL.

What the hell are you on about? They're not American players.
They are American resident players so had the opportunity to bonus structure their contracts which max benefit comes from playing in a Cdn market, since IRS does not view bonus as income and they can avoid Cdn taxation, if they spend 6-months + 1-day in US as a resident

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
They are American resident players so had the opportunity to bonus structure their contracts which max benefit comes from playing in a Cdn market, since IRS does not view bonus as income and they can avoid Cdn taxation. Is they spend 6-months + 1-day in US as a resident

Wouldn't that apply to just about every player that has spent their career in the US, so long as they play long enough to hit FA status?

Your entire argument strikes me as extremely convoluted and going in a million of bizarre directions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad