Speculation: Montreal deadline sale - make your offers!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Barron - now he may be the off man out. He is the all the tools, no tool box player. Size, skating and skill plus he was a first round pick. I think all Habs fans will tell you that Mailloux is already better than him but with Barron not being waivers exempt they had to go with Barron. If he gets traded I see the return as a 4th to 6th round pick. If he goes on waivers he will get claimed but are teams willing to jump the waiver line and trade for him? ...
So I was generous coupla months earlier w/3rd+ to 2nd value?

3rd
OR
Jimmy Vesey
OR
Casey Fitzgerald + Bryce McConnell Barker for Barron + 4th

deal?

Barsky

Jun 22, 2010
This thread is ridicules at this point in the season. The management has said they want to be in the mix for a playoff spot, so there is no indication that Montreal will definitely be sellers.

Let’s see how the season plays out first?
Are you serious? Their roster of overpaid vets and inexperienced kids, while playing in the toughest division in the NHL, indicates they will definitely be sellers, as does logic and common sense

Barsky

Jun 22, 2010
It's kind of early in the season for this thread. But I'll play along.

David Savard - UFA ($3,5M)
Gets moved for more return than most here want to admit, unless he's re-signed. I'd extend him if I were Hughes, but only for a year, or two if we get a discount. If moved, he gets the retention slot.

Christian Dvorak - UFA ($4,45M)
Return will be depressing for Habs fans, even with retention (ie, if Savard is kept). A 2nd is being very optimistic at this point.

Joel Armia - UFA ($3,4M)
Might be a darkhorse rental and fetch a 2nd, if he has a solid season, like his 2nd half last year. It's kind of early to know.

Jake Evans - UFA ($1,7M)
I hope he's re-signed. He's a pro, has speed and can play multiple roles. Plus, we need to keep a few guys from the Finals run.

Michael Pezzetta - UFA ($0,81M)
Gonzo the second another tough forward can take his spot. Might stick around as a 14th forward, though.

Cayden Primeau - RFA ($0,89M)
Let's wait and see how his season goes, ok ? He's unlikely to be a deadline trade regardless.

Justin Barron - 1 more year left @ $1,15M then RFA
Let's wait and see how his season goes, ok ? He's unlikely to be a deadline trade regardless.

Brendan Gallagher - 2 more years left @ $6,5M then UFA
Unlikely to be a deadline deal, and isn't living up to his contract. Let's just hope for LTIR.

Josh Anderson - 2 more years left @ $5,5M then UFA
Unlikely to be a deadline deal, and isn't living up to his contract. Let's just hope for LTIR. Still, he's at least an effective, mobile but physical 3d liner this season, so I can't complain.
Good post, mostly realistic save for Armia, there is no universe where he gets the Habs a 2nd. Savard absolutely should be dealt just for the potential return, every GM loves their veteran RD's

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Good post, mostly realistic save for Armia, there is no universe where he gets the Habs a 2nd. Savard absolutely should be dealt just for the potential return, every GM loves their veteran RD's
A much better d ( Tanev ) just went for a 2nd this past deadline. That’s the max I see and even that is steep given his current form . Lessons have ( hopefully) been learned from Chariot for 1 st type deals , this would be a similar overpay ..

Reactions: Barsky

Barsky

Jun 22, 2010
A much better d ( Tanev ) just went for a 2nd this past deadline. That’s the max I see and even that is steep given his current form . Lessons have ( hopefully) been learned from Chariot for 1 st type deals , this would be a similar overpay ..
Totally agree and he was actually one of the worst examples. When Tampa traded a first for him he had been horrible in Columbus, but his right handedness was too appealing. I'm not saying he'll fetch a huge haul, but just that he will get more than anyone else the Habs have to offer would.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Anderson should still be worth a top 10 pick right? Especially with 50% retention. Maybe top 5 at that point. I mean that’s what we were told he was worth a couple of years ago so his value shouldn’t have gone down that much.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Totally agree and he was actually one of the worst examples. When Tampa traded a first for him he had been horrible in Columbus, but his right handedness was too appealing. I'm not saying he'll fetch a huge haul, but just that he will get more than anyone else the Habs have to offer would.
I agree with you . He’s been a bottom pairing guy for years performance wise . When the Tampa trade happened even then I said it was too much . And he’s older slower and less effective now than then …so yah

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
My first born for Suzuki. He's a history major with a penchant for saying, "Did you know" and then telling me something nobody knew or cared about. Repeatedly. And he doesn't like hockey

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I haven't found him impressive this season so a 2nd seems more likely at this point. But even a 2nd is a significant return; plenty of good players are still around then.

About Armia, I did say darkhorse: if he's having a 20 goal season as an effective 2nd liner, who could be a 3d liner and PKer on a contender, a 2nd is still optimistic but not impossible by any means. This isn't to say I'm actually expecting a 2nd, just that he could be a surprise rental at a higher price than expected. He's also one of the last Habs to benefit from the Finals run to boost his value. He's shown he can be a playoff player; not everyone has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad