HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops - Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Tommy Lehman promoted! I have been saying I think he's doing a great job vs what we saw before under Rockstrom. Norlinder didn't pan out but at 64th OA that's the kind of pick I want to see the Habs make. Engstrom is going to be an NHLer imo and Heineman could as well plus Eriksson is progressing.
So what’s Rockstrom’s position now? Has he been demoted?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

"To start, Roger Grillo has been hired as coach consultant and will join Martin St-Louis’ staff.

Regarding the scouting team, Albie O’Connell has been promoted to Chief North American scout and Tommy Lehman has been promoted to Chief European scout. Additionally, Matt Ryan has been hired as Pro scout.

Lastly, Dale Lablans has been promoted to head of performance, Stéphane Gervais has been hired as strength and conditioning coach, and Mitch Freeburn will replace Gervais in Laval as the Rocket’s strength coach."

Grillo was a NCAA coach for 20 years and was recently implicated with the US national teams (most recently U18).

Albie O'Connell decided to leave his NCAA coach position to come back, so not surprising he got rewarded.

Our European picks have been better since Lehman came in and Rockstrom is pretty old, so not surprised here either.

Lablans and Gervais promoted internally.

Mitch Freeburn was with Belleville the last two years.

Matt Ryan was previously amateur scout for the Bruins 2018 to 2023 draft so its hard to evaluate as they didn't have that many picks.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Demoted to Euro scout
Good. I wanted him completely gone, but at least it’s a start.

I said it for years that our European scouting was s**t

(I also said our entire scouting was s***t regardless where, but I digress)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs have two more people in hockey ops:

- Roger Grillo hired as a coaching consultant.
- Matt Ryan hired as a pro scout.

Updated the OP with these additions.

Ryan spent the last six years as an amateur scout with the Bruins.

Grillo has a lot of coaching experience. He coached in the NCAA from 1989 to 2009. And he's been an assistant coach, head coach, and GM for USA at the Gretzky-Hlinka.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Good. I wanted him completely gone, but at least it’s a start.

I said it for years that our European scouting was s**t

(I also said our entire scouting was s***t regardless where, but I digress)
No way to know since they don't make the draft choices and the guys who did based their decision on biceps size.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
On Canadiens website yesterday they announced several front office changes.

Roger Grillo joins Marty's staff as coaching consultant. Must be his familiarity from Marty's Vermont days.

Albie O'Connell is now chief North American scout. I imagine Gorton and Hughes familiar with him from Boston days.

Tommy Lehman is now Chief European Scout. I don't know much about him.

Matt Ryan been hired as pro-scout. Former LA King all I know

Reactions: Mcdonaldz

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
On Canadiens website yesterday they announced several front office changes.

Roger Grillo joins Marty's staff as coaching consultant. Must be his familiarity from Marty's Vermont days.

Albie O'Connell is now chief North American scout. I imagine Gorton and Hughes familiar with him from Boston days.

Tommy Lehman is now Chief European Scout. I don't know much about him.

Matt Ryan been hired as pro-scout. Former LA King all I know

Lehman is our Swedish scout. He's been doing a good job with nothing but late round picks to work with. Good promotion IMO

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

45 minute video. Watched about 10 minutes and he's good.
Thaanks for this. I watched the video and loved this guy. I can see his influence on Marty and how he runs the team and specifically practice. He even talks about some concepts he discussed with MSL in the video. This guy fits perfectly into everything we do.

I love his concept of a "touches chart" where he tracks interactions between coaches and players 1-1 because as he says coaches often spend a lot more time with the star players than the 4th liner or the backup goalie, but with the game on the line, it might be the backup goalie that wins you the game.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

45 minute video. Watched about 10 minutes and he's good.
Posters here should take time and sign up to Live Barn to watch Mid Fairfield elite team play, they’ve won last 2 Quebec Pee Wee tourney's, 3 finals in a row and are the most dominant at that level of play in the world - using a system MSL & Grillo developed & continued to tweak about 10-years ago. Their practices are 90% based on edgework & thinking the game “2-plays ahead”

Before someone asks: Most of those Pee Wee players end up leaving for USNTDP and other prep schools (Shattuck St Mary’s, Mount St Charles etc.) which is why their Bantam & Midget programs are left without top end players

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Posters here should take time and sign up to Live Barn to watch Mid Fairfield elite team play, they’ve won last 2 Quebec Pee Wee tourney's, 3 finals in a row and are the most dominant at that level of play and n the world - using a system MSL & Grillo developed & continued to tweak about 10-years ago. Their practices are 90% based on edgework & thinking the game “2-plays ahead”

Before someone asks: Most of those Pee Wee players end up leaving for USNTDP and other prep schools (Shattuck St Mary’s, Mount St Charles etc.) which is why their Bantam & Midget programs are left without top end players
Totally can see this. Not surprised to hear you say that MSL and Grillo have been developing this for over ten years. Grillo's 45 min video is a must if you want to understand MSL coaching methodology , very interesting.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Totally can see this. Not surprised to hear you say that MSL and Grillo have been developing this for over ten years. Grillo's 45 min video is a must if you want to understand MSL coaching methodology , very interesting.
Which is why I expect to see MSL hockey for the first time this coming season w Hutson steering the ship

• Love
Reactions: HomaridII

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Posters here should take time and sign up to Live Barn to watch Mid Fairfield elite team play, they’ve won last 2 Quebec Pee Wee tourney's, 3 finals in a row and are the most dominant at that level of play in the world - using a system MSL & Grillo developed & continued to tweak about 10-years ago. Their practices are 90% based on edgework & thinking the game “2-plays ahead”

My son played against Mason many times. He’s just okay. But Marty was always very friendly and was happy to talk to parents in awe of him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What always annoyed me is how they constantly tried to blame it on the fans, that "the fans in Montréal wouldn't accept a rebuild" when it was obvious ownership and the media were the ones who truly had a problem with it.
I don’t think the media had a problem with it. I don’t even know if Molson had a problem with it. He just seemed to be okay with MB running (ruining) the show.

Reactions: EXPOS123

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad