Value of: Montembeault?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I’d offer a 4th to bring Monty back. Keep Knight down in the AHL the rest of the season and get someone who’s been decent this year as a backup to Bob

Hmmm. Let’s see. A young inexpensive goalie who has been playing fantastic or a 4th round pick that will get you a player that’s unlikely to ever suit up for the team. What should Montréal pick.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Hmmm. Let’s see. A young inexpensive goalie who has been playing fantastic or a 4th round pick that will get you a player that’s unlikely to ever suit up for the team. What should Montréal pick.
Suddenly a 4th is worth nothing? But Roy 5th, Farrell 4th, Harvey-Pinard 7th are top 9 already on summertime rosters and Dobes 5th is goalie of the future. Enforcer now untouchable undrafted.

no point in trading SM that much is true but geez.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Fans are going to make themselves look dumb with the typical "goalies don't have much value" narrative. It's usually true but Monty is trending very well and he's worked very hard to get to this level of play.

He's worth a 2nd rounder to me and not even sure I'd trade him for that at this point. Habs should wait to see how he looks again next season. He could go backwards or improve even more.

A 4th rounder? There is zero incentive to trade him for that.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
We gave you a 1st for Chiarot. Don’t be greedy sheesh.

He’s an okay backup goalie on a below average team. But from a florida viewpoint that’s probably what we’d be willing to give up for him.

We picked him in the 3rd round in 2015, I wouldn’t say his value has changed very much since then.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
We gave you a 1st for Chiarot. Don’t be greedy sheesh.

He’s an okay backup goalie on a below average team. But from a florida viewpoint that’s probably what we’d be willing to give up for him.

We picked him in the 3rd round in 2015, I wouldn’t say his value has changed very much since then.
You clearly haven’t watched him play this year. He’s been fantastic. He’s been the defacto starter for much of the season. He’s not an “ok backup”. He’s a solid 1a/b goalie. Also. Montréal currently has no one in the system to replace him.

So thanks for putting him on waivers. We’ll keep him and you can look elsewhere with your generous 4th rounder.

actuallynotPJStock

Feb 28, 2014
His growth from last year to this year has been significant, no reason to trade him barring an overpayment which no one is going to do. Plus, as posters have mentioned, we'd be on the lookout for a young goalie right after we traded him.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
You clearly haven’t watched him play this year. He’s been fantastic. He’s been the defacto starter for much of the season. He’s not an “ok backup”. He’s a solid 1a/b goalie. Also. Montréal currently has no one in the system to replace him.

So thanks for putting him on waivers. We’ll keep him and you can look elsewhere with your generous 4th rounder.
He was lit up in every game he played against Florida this season and we’re pretty meh this year. So that doesn’t help.

I do hope he does well, as I did have a soft spot for him while he was here.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
He was lit up in every game he played against Florida this season and we’re pretty meh this year. So that doesn’t help.

I do hope he does well, as I did have a soft spot for him while he was here.

Montréal has been dressing 4-5 rookie defenceman every game this season. Yeah. They’re going to give up goals. Also. Florida is 3rd in the league in goals scored this season. So don’t act like he was facing an anemic offence. Through that Montembeault is 7th in the league in goals saved above expected and has managed a.908 save percentage.

He’s been very good.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There is no reason to trade Montembault. Especially when the Habs have nothing in the pipe that could replace him. Trade Jake Allen instead. If you can.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Best you could realistically expect is a 3rd, in a dream scenario where a Cap strapped team needs a goalie maybe a 2nd.

In other words Habs should keep him as he is solidifying himself as a solid back up/1b tandem goalie. Which is valuable to have. + he's a local who wanted to play here since he was a kid so you know maybe kepp the guy.
He's on the market for a first otherwise keeping him.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I like Montembeault as a goalie. The problem with moving a goalie at this time of year is that teams that are playoff bound almost always have pretty good goaltending to begin with and most teams that make it will plan on going all the way with their main No. 1 that they already have. The one exception this year I can think of is Pittsburgh who are kind of on the cusp of making or not making the playoffs (though my guess is they will) who've been missing Jarry for quite a while. I don't know what the prognosis on him is but there's a potential there.
Avs could use him with Francouz out. Not sure the value

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Jesus, you might of changed names but your takes are still brutal.
I mean, strictly speaking he’s not wrong. There are zero reasons for Montreal to move him for anything less. He’s played really well this season, they have no one to replace him. He’s cheap ($1m AAV) and has another season left on his contract.

He may not be worth a 1st. But moving him for his actual value of a mid round pick does nothing for the franchise.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I mean, strictly speaking he’s not wrong. There are zero reasons for Montreal to move him for anything less. He’s played really well this season, they have no one to replace him. He’s cheap ($1m AAV) and has another season left on his contract.

He may not be worth a 1st. But moving him for his actual value of a mid round pick does nothing for the franchise.
Of course it doesn't and I've said so earlier, but in no world does he ever get a first, so no reason to even mention it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad