Value of: Montembeault?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Not a fan of making changes for the sake of making changes.

It's working out for Montambault here. He's signed for cheap, he's doing well, he seems to get along great with his teammates and he fits our current timeline.

We're a rebuilding team and he is an appropriate goaltender for that.

If he was a rockstar asset with great value, it would be worth the hassle. But it's not.

Trade Allen for a late first instead
When HuGo signed Allen to an idiotic extension deal, they drastically diminished his value. Not getting anywhere near a first for that guy.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings would be interested. But all we could offer is like a 3rd round pick and a mid-prospect/player.

Goaltenders are fickle, so teams are reluctant to give up significant assets for one even if he's playing great. Who knows how he'll look next season.

JT3

May 27, 2013
He could maybe land a 2nd if we were lucky and there was some interest in him, but I don't think he's worth moving for that, and certainly not for any less. Habs aren't exactly flush with quality goaltenders right now, better off keeping him another year and seeing if he can keep it up. Only costs $1m anyways.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Trade Allen for a late first instead ,, and sign Monty long terms
Allen doesn’t get Montreal a 1st

Kings would be interested. But all we could offer is like a 3rd round pick and a mid-prospect/player.

Goaltenders are fickle, so teams are reluctant to give up significant assets for one even if he's playing great. Who knows how he'll look next season.
They’ll just keep him. Montreal doesn’t have a lot in the pipeline when it comes to goalies. But they arguably have too many near ready NHL prospects at forward and defence. Moving him for essentially nothing leaves them in a bad situation.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Allen doesn’t get Montreal a 1st

They’ll just keep him. Montreal doesn’t have a lot in the pipeline when it comes to goalies. But they arguably have too many near ready NHL prospects at forward and defence. Moving him for essentially nothing leaves them in a bad situation.
In before someone types Chiarot. They want more 1st baaaddd.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
I’m a Montreal fan. Hughes did the heavy lifting last season and I’m the offseason. He doesn’t really have the chips to play this deadline. I don’t see Montreal getting another first unless they move Anderson. And I don’t think that’ll happen

Reactions: JRichard

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
If they got offered a 1st or even a 2nd they should take it. He is a useful backup now but a career .897 and 3.45 makes it more likely this is an outlier season. He's only had one season above .900 in the AHL and that was in 11 games that season.
he's 26 on a weak team with a 908 sv%. he's not even old by goalie standards. No one has any idea if this is an outlier or not. He's only played 88 pro games

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
1) There's no reason to move him
2) Hughes already said in an interview he's not moving him
3) Would be stupid to move him since he's progressing well and still young
4) Yes, lets move a young goalie when we're already looking for another one....

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Please take him for Future Considerations. He's killing our tank! Without him, I'm 99% sure we would have been in dead last place. He stole too many games. I wanna have a chance to draft better than f***ing Barlow.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
His stats don't reflect his play so he won't get anything worthwhile, but he's been incredible for the Habs this year. Habs will keep him and that contract over a 4th even though he's getting us points in the standings.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
A guy performing well in the NHL and on a very low cap hit for one more season is worth more than a 4th rounder. Not worth a 1st (not likely) but you guys are exaggerating the low end value with your 4th rounder. Chances a 4th rounder turns into a NHL asset is very very low.

Allen is a decent 2A type and Monty is out performing him. He's not just some average backup at this stage.

It's a value thread. It's not likely a 1st but it's well north of just a 4th rounder. Habs won't even trade him for a 2nd rounder. We value him and the hard work he has put into earning his way.

I wouldn't think twice if we were offered a 2nd for him.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Best you could realistically expect is a 3rd, in a dream scenario where a Cap strapped team needs a goalie maybe a 2nd.

In other words Habs should keep him as he is solidifying himself as a solid back up/1b tandem goalie. Which is valuable to have. + he's a local who wanted to play here since he was a kid so you know maybe kepp the guy.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d say realistically a 3rd. Now Montreal could take a bad contract without term back and maybe pull a 2nd. A 1st is just out of the question.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
They won't trade him. They are weak at goalie, very little depth. Primeau does not seem to be the answer- maybe Monty is. he has been real good this year on a bad team. Use that one year of contract he has next year to determine if maybe he is the answer.

You won't get anything for him anyway
This in a nut shell. No value but we can use him. Maybe this season is a turning point in his career. Having a .908 save % on the team that has the 6th most goals scored against shows he's playing pretty good. As we get better Monty may also get better. His stats sure would..
26 but could be a late bloomer.

To late you already did. Always someone.

I’d say realistically a 3rd. Now Montreal could take a bad contract without term back and maybe pull a 2nd. A 1st is just out of the question.
Rather trade Allen for what ever we can get and run with Monty next season.

Reactions: CDN24

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Please take him for Future Considerations. He's killing our tank! Without him, I'm 99% sure we would have been in dead last place. He stole too many games. I wanna have a chance to draft better than f***ing Barlow.
Our tank is done. Keep him as our starter next season and see what he can do.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I like him but he hasn't proven enough to get a 2nd. Maybe we could get a 3rd but I think we should keep him. Allen probably has more value

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't think twice if we were offered a 2nd for him.

Not me. I value 2nd rounders but it's not a guarantied hit. Monty is one I would retain for our rebuild/transition years. We will see what he asks for after his contract is less than 12 months from expiry in July. If he asks for too much, we can trade him as a pending UFA for the 24 deadline.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Seems rather replaceable - so if you’re offered anything over a 4th, I’d take it personally.

Goalies like him are available on waivers every year.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
What could Habs get for
Montembault?
Just throwing this out there to see his trade return? If we could get good young player or first pick may move him. With Allen locked up long term and Primeau and Dobes in the system.

Monty has developed into decent NHL goalie. With .908% playing for bad team and behind defense with 5 rookies. Making league minimum this season and next.
Hughes has already stated Montembeault isn't available sure any player can be traded but it seems Montreal management are happy with him unlikely he's traded . . Montreal would likely trade Allen before they would trade Montembeault .

Last edited:

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I’d offer a 4th to bring Monty back. Keep Knight down in the AHL the rest of the season and get someone who’s been decent this year as a backup to Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad