Post-Game Talk: Monarchy Abolished (x3)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
2nd best PK in the league. Just give credit where credit is due.
Confused. I was talking about the Kings using the wrong pk. The diamond is not a configuration I would deploy against our vaunted PP which features a lot of downlow threats. Its stupid to use the diamond.

I wasn't saying anything about our pk which played very well.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I honestly thought the Kings were stronger last year with Korpisalo, Vallardi and Iafallo.
They 100% were a better team last year. Dubois was a negative asset, and they traded two good depth forwards who hurt us on the score sheet regularly to get him.

More penalties than shots on goals this series for PLD, according to Karius this morning. Hilarious.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He should be fired then.

And Durzi who had to be traded to fit PLoserD into the salary structure.
6 wins in the playoffs in 7 years going 0-4 overall in series is what should have him fired. Add in 53gf to 81ga in those games too.

Or maybe add that he's had 4 coaches now, probably looking at a 5th.

To go along with all the other bad stuff he's done with trades and identifying what type of players to add.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I was reading the Canucks board, and they really believe their team is more physical than LA's. Uhhh, yeah sure. Have you LOOKED at the Hits from both series?

LA's hits this series - 257 Hits
Van's hits this series - 186 Hits

LA was PUMMELING us with everything, but we held our own very handily. "But Zadorov is gonna feast on the Oil!". Sure. Just like he feasted on them with the Flames. He was such a non-factor, I don't know what to say. I am enjoying the arrogance from them. Will be a fun series to watch....IF the Canucks don't get eliminated :P
Having big defenseman is not the same as having hitters on the forecheck

They 100% were a better team last year. Dubois was a negative asset, and they traded two good depth forwards who hurt us on the score sheet regularly to get him.

More penalties than shots on goals this series for PLD, according to Karius this morning. Hilarious.
Traded Durzi too, and signed two goalies the Oilers know extremely well

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I guess technically he outcoached Hiller, but I don't even get what Hiller was doing behind the bench to begin with. Was similar to Todd just a different voice.

Blake out coached himself here, by bringing in the same guy different face

Edit: Like McLellan there just wasn't much coaching to be beaten in the first place lol
I think one of the signs for me regarding Hiller was the lack of adjustments on the Kings PK and on their PP.
They just had no answers at all for what the Oilers were doing.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Confused. I was talking about the Kings using the wrong pk. The diamond is not a configuration I would deploy against our vaunted PP which features a lot of downlow threats. Its stupid to use the diamond.

I wasn't saying anything about our pk which played very well.
I’m saying LA had the 2nd best Pk in the league and Edmonton destroyed it. Turning a teams strength into a weakness is just impressive regardless if you agree with the formation or not.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I honestly thought the Kings were stronger last year with Korpisalo, Vallardi and Iafallo.
You didn't see the Jets series then. Villardi was -6 in last 4 games with zero goals despite being glued to topline and top PP. Iafallo is on the wrong side of 30. Kind of agree with Korpi, but then again had they just played Rittich he was playing as well as Korpi was.

The key point is that the Oilers are better.

This is the Kings last 3 seasons. 99, 104, 99pts. There is no difference in how that team is performing. No difference at all. Its kind of a distortion the Kings fans saying its all trash now. League finish those respective seasons. 14, 10, 12. There is no discernible trend with Kings. There is with the Oilers getting better.

Villardi can look sexy offensively. Doesn't look at good when the Fiala comes out and his misplays end up in goals the other way. Happened enough in Jets series. The jets fans were booing that club in 3rd period. A club that gave up 28 goals in 5 games.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Having big defenseman is not the same as having hitters on the forecheck

Traded Durzi too, and signed two goalies the Oilers know extremely well
I completely forgot that the Durzi trade was to make cap space for PLD. It just keeps getting worse the longer you look at it. The Kings needed a goalie desperately. So they signed an aging former starter and a guy who has been in and out of the league, traded a top 4 defenseman for draft picks, and then traded for a guy who was never going to help the defensive game much - not even if he played the best hockey of his life. Blake deserves the boot.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m saying LA had the 2nd best Pk in the league and Edmonton destroyed it. Turning a teams strength into a weakness is just impressive regardless if you agree with the formation or not.
Gotcha. Its team specific though, or should be. Of note the Kings did not do well against top clubs this season. Top clubs tended to beat the Kings and their pk. The Oilers being one of those teams. The best a team can do against a PP that plays elite downlow is to have a standard box, 2D down, and hope for the best. A diamond with one D back is not even a hope.

But yeah I've maintained that this is the best PP I've ever seen. I've said that lots.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was reading the Canucks board, and they really believe their team is more physical than LA's. Uhhh, yeah sure. Have you LOOKED at the Hits from both series?

LA was PUMMELING us with everything, but we held our own very handily. "But Zadorov is gonna feast on the Oil!". Sure. Just like he feasted on them with the Flames. He was such a non-factor, I don't know what to say. I am enjoying the arrogance from them. Will be a fun series to watch....IF the Canucks don't get eliminated :P
Maybe it was mentioned as I missed this post earlier, but is anyone actually afraid of a physical team?

PLD was LA's most physical forward, where did that get them against us?

Guys were peppering our star players all series and our guys would just bounce back and give it back.

More afraid of a team like Colorado who has weapons to frustrate us defensively. These guys aren't afraid of contact and in fact the more physical the game gets the more engaged Kane gets which just adds another great weapon for us.

I think one of the signs for me regarding Hiller was the lack of adjustments on the Kings PK and on their PP.
They just had no answers at all for what the Oilers were doing.
So pretty much Todd McLellan to a tee.

Come in with a game plan and stick to it regardless if it's working or not.:laugh:

I completely forgot that the Durzi trade was to make cap space for PLD. It just keeps getting worse the longer you look at it. The Kings needed a goalie desperately. So they signed an aging former starter and a guy who has been in and out of the league, traded a top 4 defenseman for draft picks, and then traded for a guy who was never going to help the defensive game much - not even if he played the best hockey of his life. Blake deserves the boot.
Honestly I can give a guy a pass on goaltending. Lot's of teams looking and it's tough to find.

But then you have to beef up your defense to compensate for this.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
AJ Mleczko transferred her hate of the Canadian women's hockey team to Edmonton last night. She was ready to pounce and hand LA moral victories after every PK clear like that would be the turning point in the series. Them she'd have to walk it back when the Oilers scored.

ESPN and TBS/TNT has decent broadcast teams that rotated through the Kings-Oilers series, but the duo last night was the worst of all 5 games.
Completely agree with this, and then having Leah Hextall chiming in with her 'insider' comments were just the icing on the cake of this brutal coverage...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The irony in this is the Kings would have pummeled the Nucks and did all season. Nucks are the charming softest team in the playoffs. They just happen to have a couple apes in Zadorov and Joshua who should already be suspended. But neither has the balls to pull crap against the Oilers. Of if they do they pay for it dearly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've always respected Doughty. He's pain in the ass to play against and can be really lippy at times but he's always given credit to the Oilers, is a straight shooter which is the type of guy I could ride with and he's a phenomenal player even still, one of the best to ever do it. I wouldn't hate it if he ever wanted to go Cup chasing here.
He made the statement even before series started or after game 1. In and around there. He's not saying it after the fact, he already knew. Very respectful of our club jsut like Sutter was. They know a good thing when they see it. he talked at length about how much the Oilers have matured as a group and now look ready.

Always appreciated Doughty and Sutter being candid about us and also that the Flames are shit. Sutters view on his own flames while he was coaching them was some of the funniest shit ever emanating from Calgary since harvey the hound lost his tongue.

Reporter. "Coach Sutter, what do you think about comparisons of this Flames team to your LA Kings teams"

Sutter: "There is no comparison, none, Thats a ridiculous question. Next question"

lol

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Hey now, this man has a Stanley Cup and a Norris Trophy to his name. He knows a thing or two about winning... :sarcasm:

Reactions: bellagiobob

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
AJ Mleczko transferred her hate of the Canadian women's hockey team to Edmonton last night. She was ready to pounce and hand LA moral victories after every PK clear like that would be the turning point in the series. Them she'd have to walk it back when the Oilers scored.

ESPN and TBS/TNT has decent broadcast teams that rotated through the Kings-Oilers series, but the duo last night was the worst of all 5 games.
ESPNs broadcasts are significantly worse than Sportsnet even.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad