Post-Game Talk: Mon Lars leads Pens past the Habs 6-3

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Overall, 2-2 after 4 games with 4 games in 6 nights isn't a bad start. They get a couple of days off now before they play the Kings on Thursday.

The important thing is to make sure they don't slump too badly. None of those 1-8-1 runs can happen this year.

A .500 year is a good step up.
Short memories …. most posters had Habs with 0-2 wins after first 11GP (Month of October)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Overall, 2-2 after 4 games with 4 games in 6 nights isn't a bad start. They get a couple of days off now before they play the Kings on Thursday.

The important thing is to make sure they don't slump too badly. None of those 1-8-1 runs can happen this year.

A .500 year is a good step up.

I think they have had okay to decent starts over the past couple seasons.

I think things fell apart in mid to late December last year.

If they can go 82 games without those 1-2 wins in 10 game kind of stretches, that will be a sign of maturity and progress.

Learning how to manage 82 games is an underappreciated aspect of being a professional hockey player, IMO. It's just a shit ton of games, and a mental/physical grind.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

If they can go 82 games without those 1-2 wins in 10 game kind of stretches, that will be a sign of maturity and progress.

Yeah, December has been a bitch for Montreal in recent years. We'll see what happens in November.

Montreal is playing 7 home games and only 4 road games in October. That switches in November. We'll have 7 road games, 5 home. That includes a 4 game road trip.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Learning how to manage 82 games is an underappreciated aspect of being a professional hockey player, IMO. It's just a shit ton of games, and a mental/physical grind.

Things fell apart around game 9 last year.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Screenshot_20241014_231529_Chrome.jpg

Kind if off topic but WTF... $900 for this plastic shit???

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Things fell apart around game 9 last year.

Not unless my mind is escaping me. I remember going to Mexico in mid December and the Habs being right in the playoff mix before leaving.

View attachment 916848
Kind if off topic but WTF... $900 for this plastic shit???
Wwe stuff is so pricey now. Survivor series tickets in Vancouver were upwards of 2k. Decent lower bowl seats were over 600 bucks.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
We did not defend well tonight. It was way too easy for the Pens to quickly transition. They had so much space. We made them look way better than they really are.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I know the season is young but I just don’t see “it” with this core.

Suzuki is too slow and not engaged enough on a regular basis. We are extremely thin up front on talent coupled with a lack of identity and no physical presence on any line.

Extremely thin on the right side of our defence (with no help in our pipeline) and our goaltending is extremely inconsistent. Not to mention I have seen no noticeable improvement in our D zone coverage in the last 3 years. We are as clueless in our own zone as ever have been, which is troubling to say the least.

This rebuild is at least 2-3 years away.
Rebuild has 2-3 years to go for sure, but the right D isn't as thin as you say. Reinbacher and Mailloux will both be top4 D at worst.

I'm also not the biggest Suzuki fan, but you can't deny he has skill. With Caufield, Slaf and Demidov, we'll have a very good top 4.

We'll see how much production we can get from Dach. And there's Hage.

And Dobes and Fowler at G.

I wish we had at least 1 top-notch game breaking offensive talent (outside of potentially Demidov), but we have very good tools coming up everywhere else.

We'll have to look at improving coaching at some point in the next 2 years.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think Monty was really bad. Not his best game but no real softie given imo. Pens had too much space and time all game long. We need to play better D.

Reactions: Habs7631

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Wwe stuff is so pricey now. Survivor series tickets in Vancouver were upwards of 2k. Decent lower bowl seats were over 600 bubucks.
Wild... I went to EC in Montreal and had good, affordable seats. I also had a custom championship belt made for the prize of my fantasy hockey league and it cost like $250. Real leather and metal.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Just finished watching the game... Good god, Savard and Matheson were horrendous. Montanbo couldn't stop a beachball (don't tell me these Eller shots were unstoppable). Eller never scored like that when he was a Hab, so goalie has something to do with that.

But Matheson and Savard... MFG. I can't wait to see them gone. When Barron has a better game than these two it's a very very bad thing.

Sigh. This shuold have been a relatively easy win.

We played a good game but we did mistakes. There gonna be lot of games like that this year. Be patient it's the 2nd youngest team in the league.
Most of the mistakes were made not by the young players.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Just finished watching the game... Good god, Savard and Matheson were horrendous. Montanbo couldn't stop a beachball (don't tell me these Eller shots were unstoppable). Eller never scored like that when he was a Hab, so goalie has something to do with that.

But Matheson and Savard... MFG. I can't wait to see them gone. When Barron has a better game than these two it's a very very bad thing.

Easy, maybe for the Stars or Rangers but the Habs are shittier than the pens.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Why you need a good defense. Game can breakdown quickly on the backend. Most of your losses are generated there. Why I always wanted to build a great defense. A great defense will give you a consistent playoff caliber team. Gives you good secondary scoring, a good powerplay and makes an ordinary goalie a good goalie. That good goalie with average scoring and great defense makes you a cup contender.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018

I love hfboards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad