MLS to mirror European football schedule

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think their schedule is part of why they've been successful. Sure things get hard at playoff time with so much going on in the sports world but competing directly with the NHL and NBA regular seasons, + almost the entire NFL & college football seasons for a good chunk of the season? Tough one.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If aint broke down fix it.

I think their schedule is part of why they've been successful. Sure things get hard at playoff time with so much going on in the sports world but competing directly with the NHL and NBA regular seasons, + almost the entire NFL & college football seasons for a good chunk of the season? Tough one.

Doesn't Japan, Australia and some places in Latin America use the same schedule as MLS for soccer? I don't know why they would change for more competition.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It's long overdue. Playing in the summer and overlapping the international tournaments isn’t something a serious league can do.

Mess in the transfer market, as well.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As a Galaxy fan living in LA...awesome.
As someone who has lived in places with actual seasons....congratulations, you're going to do serious harm to attendance/desirability/value of the markets that deal with weather, which is a significant portion of this league. This would just further tilt things in LA & Miami's favor.

Winters in continental Europe don't compare to winters in Columbus, never mind Minnesota...and the places that do have comparable winters run the same kind of schedule the MLS currently does for obvious reasons.

Then again there's no good solution that doesn't involve the entire schedule shrinking. The current late February start doesn't factor in March being the snowiest month in a lot of places, nor are the playoffs in anyone's ideal time of the year.

This sounds like something that plays a hell of a lot better in a boardroom with a bunch of billionaire owners than it would with the fan actually paying to go to games. Just fix the damn transfer window. You don't need to immediately devalue half of the league to accomplish that.

Doesn't Japan, Australia and some places in Latin America use the same schedule as MLS for soccer? I don't know why they would change for more competition.

It's pure eurocentrism. Most of the Americas, as well as plenty others around the globe are on the same calendar year set-up as the MLS. The richest teams in Europe are on the Fall-Spring schedule, though, so that's the 'right' way to do it.

Last edited:

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Thanks to Global Warming it's likely possible to host outdoor soccer in December or March these days. That said I'm sure the schedule makers can weight the schedule such that Southern Cities host the bulk of the games that time of year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad