Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team IV - Revolution hire Caleb Porter as new head coach

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
This roster has the best pedigree when it comes to individual club resumes. It’s also the most spoiled, and it has regressed since the World Cup. A lot of that is on Berhalter, but I’m not letting the players off the hook that easily….

Yeah, I defended him during the World Cup and I’ll stand by that. That’s a significantly more difficult tournament, and that squad didn’t underachieve in that tournament like they did in this one….

He’s a terrible coach that never should have been hired especially with quality young players coming through. Totally out of his depth, unqualified. I have no idea why you or anyone else would defend him.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
What do you mean when you say they're spoiled?
"Spoiled" was a poor choice of words on my part. I should have used "Complacent" instead. In fairness, all of the media nonsense of this being the USMNT's "golden generation" was a bunch of malarkey as well.

This is a core group of players that has the best club resume of any team we've fielded. Many of them are solid squad players in some large European clubs. None of them are game changers and when you put them together on the US Team, you have a collection of parts that is not greater than the sum of the whole. They haven't improved a lick in the last 4 years, and in my opinion, are content with showing up, playing close matches and claiming the odd moral victory and being the "almost there" team.

To me its a mindset problem, that needs to be sorted out by 2026.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Turkey holds on in a classic, Austria were this close to an equalizer in stoppage time, the save of the tournament.

1719954123174.png

Reactions: GatorMike

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
The fact he’s still employed is a joke and shows they aren’t going to take this seriously. It also most likely means he’s staying

But once again he should have the humility to step down

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There's some mixed messaging or there as to the salary structure of the US Soccer program and how it affects the coaching search.

Rumors going around that they can't hire an elite coach (or at least they can't pay one competitively) because they have to maintain pay equity with the women's coach, so if they went and got someone good and paid them Southgate money they'd then have to give the women's coach a raise to match it. Charlie Davies was pushing that narrative. I've seen other sources trying to debunk it and claiming pay equity only covers players and not coaches. I can't find a straight answer. I do suspect there's at least an informal cap though since they just settled that pay dispute with the women's team and probably aren't looking to start another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad