OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Also on Happ front:

I would sign Corbin and Happ imo. Make CC the spot start 6th man insurance / long man out of pen.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We need another pitcher and another big bat before we can start talking about the Red Sox.

This ain't the NHL. Your roster has to be ridiculous to succeed in this league.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We need another pitcher and another big bat before we can start talking about the Red Sox.

I mean is that true? Some development from Severino, Paxton, Corbin and Happ as a 2, 3, 5 and Tanaka gives this team a legit rotation. Sanchez was underwhelming last year. The team needs him to stay healthy. I'm not seeing this big bad Red Sox team that others see.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean is that true? Some development from Severino, Paxton, Corbin and Happ as a 2, 3, 5 and Tanaka gives this team a legit rotation. Sanchez was underwhelming last year. The team needs him to stay healthy. I'm not seeing this big bad Red Sox team that others see.

They won 108 games and were basically unchallenged the entire playoffs. They're historically good.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens

I don't necessarily disagree with what Levine said. We had a lot of injuries last year, the Red Sox had their main guys healthy the majority of the year. If you even out the injuries, you don't think we compete for the division?

And now adding Paxton on top of that, there's no reason to think we aren't as good as them or very close to it. We were one timely hit away in Game 4 from sending the series back to Boston for a Game 5.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They won 108 games and were basically unchallenged the entire playoffs. They're historically good.

I mean they're good, I am not arguing that, but the Yankees won 100 games with their main 2 hitters having poor seasons (or injured) in Judge and Sanchez and rolling out pretty much 2 real starting pitchers for most of the season.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
is there a thor for bryant (assuming a healthy shoulder) deal there to be made ?

both 26 yrs old.

or move thor for a package of young studs who will be cheap for years and then sign kluber.

you had the wilpons at 'cheap'

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
If this organization actually thinks they're on par with the Red Sox even after the Paxton trade, they're dumber than I thought they were.

Except they're not dumb and wrong. They are practically on par, and will be more so with a Corbin and Harper/Machado signing.

I wonder if you and others were thinking this last season when the Red Sox went nowhere and the Yankees made it to game 7 of the ALCS against the champs.

Red Sox had EVERYTHING go their way this season. I doubt that will happen again. Odds are against it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

And the Yankees won 100 games....and did so i'm told with a rotation that needs to be almost overhauled and a bunch of beer league softball sluggers who have no idea how to hit when someone is on base.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Except they're not dumb and wrong. They are practically on par, and will be more so with a Corbin and Harper/Machado signing.

I wonder if you and others were thinking this last season when the Red Sox went nowhere and the Yankees made it to game 7 of the ALCS against the champs.

Red Sox had EVERYTHING go their way this season. I doubt that will happen again. Odds are against it.
This is a terrible argument stance to take. You cannot compare the 2017 Red Sox to anything moving forward. Different Roster and more importantly different Manager who changed their style of play and approach. JD Martinez addition, Steve Pearce addition, and Eovaldi addition played a huge factor as well. But bottom line is they played defense, their starters pitched well, they ran the bases and played small ball. They will continue to do so with virtually the same personnel. The one area in serious question is their bullpen. And that was in question even with Kimbrel.

Yankees need to separate themselves from the Sox. Adding Corbin and/or Happ can solidify their SP and put them ahead of Boston imo. Signing 2 of Miller/DRob/Britton/Ottavino also is necessary. Adding one of Harper/Machado lengthens the lineup to definitely be better than the Sox. Adding Hechevarria and possibly Schoop/Murphy solidifies a questionable infield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad