Confirmed with Link: Mittelstadt re-signed (3 years, $5.75M AAV)

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
When it was signed it wasn’t a bargain. He was RFA and they should have been able to buy more than 2 UFA years for the same cap hit. It’s well explained throughout this thread.

I’m happy we have him now but this short term contract will come back to bite us in the ass soon.
I mean he still has to agree to the contract, it's clear his agent wanted more money for longer term and we just can't offer the money due to our cap situation.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean he still has to agree to the contract, it's clear his agent wanted more money for longer term and we just can't offer the money due to our cap situation.
Is it clear though? Or CMac wanted shorter term to make room for cheaper Ritchie?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Does he keep his place on the PP1 with Mack, Rantanen and Makar once Drouin, lekhy and Val are coming back?

Nope and I’d argue he doesn’t need to.

He isn’t even playing the half-wall, he’s down low below the goal line. That’s a waste of his talent.

He needs to be half-wall on PP2.

Nuke or Drouin as the down low guy on PP1.

Reactions: missionAvs

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021

He isn’t even playing the half-wall, he’s down low below the goal line. That’s a waste of his talent.

I would think his down low play is one of his strength, yesterday’s game being a prime example of that

Furthermore , there is no pp2 on this team . Its pp1 90% of the time

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

With Colton showing a bit of finishing ability around the net this season perhaps that PP2 should get more than 8 seconds each power play.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
With Colton showing a bit of finishing ability around the net this season perhaps that PP2 should get more than 8 seconds each power play.
I think the person that might lose their spot once Nuke/Landy are back is actually going to be Mitts. Colton in the bumper still works, but Nuke and Landy do some of their best work retrieving pucks behind/around the net and being that net front presence.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I would think his down low play is one of his strength, yesterday’s game being a prime example of that

Furthermore , there is no pp2 on this team . Its pp1 90% of the time

90% of PP1 is spent with MacK Makar Mikko passing back and forth.

This spot below the goal line is crucial to get in front of the goalie for the Makar shots.

That has to be Nuke or Landy, by the far the two guys with the best hand eye coordination on deflections and screens on the team.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I think the person that might lose their spot once Nuke/Landy are back is actually going to be Mitts. Colton in the bumper still works, but Nuke and Landy do some of their best work retrieving pucks behind/around the net and being that net front presence.
Mitts and possibly Lehk and Landy would get pushed down. Makes a decent second unit.

Top unit should be Nuke MacK Rants for sure. Landy if he's able to would be great as well but worried if he can do the net front work we used to see. And Ross the Boss is doing well on the top unit.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Is it clear though? Or CMac wanted shorter term to make room for cheaper Ritchie?
Not to put words in your mouth but I recall you referring to a model indicating that the AAV would have been the same for 3 years, 4 years and 5 years. If that were to be true, then it would have been stupid for the Avs to sign him for only three years. But I find this hypothesis pretty illogical and close to impossible.

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
Signing him for three years is a bigger mistake than whatever Rantanen's going to get. What a player.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I don't know man, years of HFBoards experience has taught me that players have no agency in what or where they sign

Reactions: Pokecheque

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Doubtful. What makes the bumper guy guy in our setup is that all 3 of the umbrella players can beat the goalie clean. PKs can’t cheat on any of Makar, Mackinnon and Rantanen.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO the league has figured out that a short contract is more advantageous to a player joining the Avs because in most cases the player's offense improves. Then the contract can be quite a bit higher either with the Avs or with another team.

But regardless, like others have said, both sides need to agree on a contract. Mitts's camp pretty well had all the leverage in these negotiations considering the very important need for a 2C and that they had just traded Byram for him. It was also very important for the Avs to keep the AAV as low as possible and the other side knew that. Longer term would have pushed the AAV above 6M IMO and with the uncertainty of Nuke's and Landy's future with this team it was hard for them to go there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At the end of this contract, the Avs Cup window will be 100% shut. An extra 1-2 years on the Mitts deal won't matter one bit. If we can get good ELC usage out of some of our prospects and solid goaltending from Annunen while he's on his dirt cheap deal, we might have two shots left at most. But by 2027 the ride will be over even if we had some extra time with Mitts. MacKinnon will be 32, Toews 33, Rantanen 31, Landeskog 35, Nichushkin 32. There is no universe where we could get an extra year out of that core with or without Mittelstadt.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Okay cool. What would you have done to make the deal a better deal than?

Currently we’re getting excess value out of his contract and this roster desperately needs. Just enjoy that he’s actually good instead of being miserable about a few years down the line right now.
It's as if people believe that NHL agents don't understand the importance of even strength points vs total points. Over the past two seasons, Mittelstadt has more even strength points than Jonathan Marchessault, Clayton Keller, Nick Suzuki and Jordan Kyrou to name a few. These guys are all making significantly more than Mittelstadt.

He's also great defensively.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It's a future problem that we don't have now or in the seasons to come. Three years of Mitts at 5.75m is as awesome as it gets as we have cup aspirations in the right now.
Sometimes we've just got to know when to realize how good we've got it right now and be happy and content with that. Mitts might not be the kind of guy who wants to reset the market. Yes, he's going to get paid handsomely (and I hope by us) as he deserves after this contract is up.

But we can leave that worry for another day, in the meantime...maybe Stan could actually invest in the infrastructure on an immediate timescale. Make Colorado a place players want to be because they have access to premier equipment, facilities and trainers. We need to invest in these areas..especially if we are hoping to get folks to give us a discount on contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad