Confirmed with Link: Mittelstadt re-signed (3 years, $5.75M AAV)

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I wish someone would leak the stats of all the cities that ended up in NTC/NMC in the last 5 years
As a fan I think it would be hilarious to actually get the list for each player.

However, I think it would be good for the league to compile that data and share it with the teams, if they don't already. Kroenke has shown he will pay for a championship team and max payroll. Data showing talent trying to avoid Colorado could be a tool for Sakic to use to get a higher budget for the stuff around the team. You can't change your geography, but you can still increase the quality of life and make players truly love playing for the organization. So far they haven't gotten a single discount from a player. Rants, Makar, Nate, Nuke, Toews. Nobody gives this team a discount, going back to Stastny at least. This tells me Colorado has legitimate reasons to make some lists.

[edit..I mean, the team's President certainly didn't do any discounts, but he did at least do short term deals towards the end so the Avs wouldn't get stuck with him after a decline and I always did appreciate that. Mitts shouldn't be declining when his deal is up, but he'll only have one year left on the "right" side of 30 as well. Getting younger legs to replace him at that point might not be the worse thing in the world as our core will also be 3 years older.]

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If you are getting traded just before you UFA its not a bad thing to be on a team with a short or no playoff run. Last thing you want is to go to a team like Florida playing a heavy game and having to be moved down the lineup. Your numbers won't look good and you could get hurt. Smart agents will say go to a place which is just hoping you get them into the playoffs because that's extremely valuable for the team and will make them want to pay you more. And then you use that leverage on the open market to go where you really want to go at a higher price.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Upset about a 9 team no-trade clause? That’s nothing.
True - likely just the teams he wouldn't extend with anyways lowering the value of a presumed trade.

I think the Avs just got stuck in a poor spot here with negotiations - couldn't go short term as they have no replacement, couldn't go long because the AAV would get too high.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Frankly, I like the deal. More term would be nice, but this looks like a bit of a "show me" contract on both sides. Yes, CM appears to be the 2C the Avs need. And his skill set is undeniable. But . . .

His stats didn't exactly leap off the page during the playoffs. Yes, there were flashes, but maybe the Avs view CM as something that is a little bit less than a sure thing. Thus, 3 years. I think the price is about right. Maybe a little under what CM wanted, and he is willing to give the Avs 3 years to show what he can do and if he does what he anticipates . . . then he cashes in at 28.

The deal is done. We need a 2C. CM is that 2C. He's locked up for now. Time to sign the guy whose stats absolutely jumped off the page . . . Drouin.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Frankly, I like the deal. More term would be nice, but this looks like a bit of a "show me" contract on both sides. Yes, CM appears to be the 2C the Avs need. And his skill set is undeniable. But . . .

His stats didn't exactly leap off the page during the playoffs. Yes, there were flashes, but maybe the Avs view CM as something that is a little bit less than a sure thing. Thus, 3 years. I think the price is about right. Maybe a little under what CM wanted, and he is willing to give the Avs 3 years to show what he can do and if he does what he anticipates . . . then he cashes in at 28.

The deal is done. We need a 2C. CM is that 2C. He's locked up for now. Time to sign the guy whose stats absolutely jumped off the page . . . Drouin.
Huh? He had 9pts in 11 games with essentially no PP time and very good defensive numbers as well?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

This isn't anything against you AvBuff. Just this part.. I don't know how this narrative started (seen it a few places), but it is honestly complete nonsense.

Mitts had 9 points in 11 games. That PPG rate is basically the same as Guentzel, Johnston, Verhaeghe, Lafs (who people thought was excellent in the playoffs), Kreider and Bennett. Better than guys like Pasta, Bert, Hitnz. etc. Every single of those points were at ES. Even not playing 2 rounds, he tied for 21st in the entire playoffs in ES points. On the Avs, only Mikko tied him with 9 ES points. MacK only had 7. Zibanejad who played a whole extra round, only had 6. Only one player ahead of Mitts played the same number of games (Aho). Boeser had 10 in 12 games. Lafs played 16 and beat him out with 11 points. All the 17 other players played at least 19 games.

His ES p/60 rate was 9th in the entire league at 2.95 p/60 with no lower minutes bound. If we put that at a minimum of 100 minutes, he's 4th. Only behind McDavid, Boeser, and Aho.

Mitts' performance in the playoffs was very, very good. He didn't get absurd PP numbers because he simply wasn't on the top unit, but his play during the playoffs was excellent. This is with his most common linemate being Parise.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This isn't anything against you AvBuff. Just this part.. I don't know how this narrative started (seen it a few places), but it is honestly complete nonsense.

Mitts had 9 points in 11 games. That PPG rate is basically the same as Guentzel, Johnston, Verhaeghe, Lafs (who people thought was excellent in the playoffs), Kreider and Bennett. Better than guys like Pasta, Bert, Hitnz. etc. Every single of those points were at ES. Even not playing 2 rounds, he tied for 21st in the entire playoffs in ES points. On the Avs, only Mikko tied him with 9 ES points. MacK only had 7. Zibanejad who played a whole extra round, only had 6. Only one player ahead of Mitts played the same number of games (Aho). Boeser had 10 in 12 games. Lafs played 16 and beat him out with 11 points. All the 17 other players played at least 19 games.

His ES p/60 rate was 9th in the entire league at 2.95 p/60 with no lower minutes bound. If we put that at a minimum of 100 minutes, he's 4th. Only behind McDavid, Boeser, and Aho.

Mitts' performance in the playoffs was very, very good. He didn't get absurd PP numbers because he simply wasn't on the top unit, but his play during the playoffs was excellent. This is with his most common linemate being Parise.

5.75M for this guy is wonderful for the next 3 years. Then he can f*** off to Minnesota.

Last edited by a moderator:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

One thing I hope for next season, is they find a way to get him PP1 minutes, because his vision/passing is f***ing insane. Him feeding MacK/Makar/Mikko should produce bountiful points for him (and them)

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
One thing I hope for next season, is they find a way to get him PP1 minutes, because his vision/passing is f***ing insane. Him feeding MacK/Makar/Mikko should produce bountiful points for him (and them)
He should play the bumper spot. His shot is good when he uses it, he fights in the dirty areas for pucks and is completely unafraid of the contact, only Drouin and him are high end one touch passers... the only thing I think he struggles with there is tipping pucks and that high tip is an awfully tricky one to learn.

Reactions: Pokecheque

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Who do you pull out? Lehky/Nuke/Landy? All great net-front guys who you need
I'm not penciling in Nuke at all. Landy, it remains to be seen when he'll suit up.

If Drouin is back, it doesn't matter because they'll put him on PP1 again; if he's not back I think you put Mittelstadt in his spot.

MacKinnon
Mikko
Makar
Lehkonen
Mittelstadt

Would be what I put down on PP1 in that scenario, obviously MacK will set up in his "spot" (even though I don't think he's AS successful there as the Avs coaching staff/him believe him to be), Makar up top, and Mikko on the opposite wall. So you got Lehkonen doing his thing in front of the net, and Mitts in that bumper spot, if they want to do a set up like they've been doing.

But if they want to change things up, you figure out a set up where you have Mittelstadt distributing the puck. He made shit happen with guys who weren't AS GOOD of finishers as MacK/Makar/Mikko would be.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Decent deal for Mitts. I think some were being naive thinking this wasn't the term and AAV the Avs would target.

I predicted $5.75-6M on a 2-3 year deal. They got the low-end of that with the third year so it's solid.

The problem is he likely walks to UFA now, which also should have been expected the moment they traded for him with their cap situation and his contract comps.

They need to win a Cup in the next three years for this to pay off, because there's a decent chance the D core regresses (or continues their problems from this year) and relies too much on Cale for offense and 5 on 5 play, and they won't have the cap or the drafting ability to bring in a top notch #2-3 guy while Toews might regress.

Hopefully it pays off with a Cup and it's all moot though.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Love that a player backs themselves - very AVS tbh. Over to you Mitts. Show us all mate !

Drouin - Mack - Rants
Lehks - Mitts - Nuke
Landy - Colts - LOC
Wood - Trenin - Duhaime

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Johnson - Walker

Georgiev
Annunen

With so much developing depth - SCREAMS Stanley Cup to me.

• Love
Reactions: niwotsblessing

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Love that a player backs themselves - very AVS tbh. Over to you Mitts. Show us all mate !

Drouin - Mack - Rants
Lehks - Mitts - Nuke
Landy - Colts - LOC
Wood - Trenin - Duhaime

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Johnson - Walker

Georgiev
Annunen

With so much developing depth - SCREAMS Stanley Cup to me.
Your roster is riddled with errors

Reactions: missionAvs

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He'll just write "Buffalo" 3x...
1719495338067.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad