Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Jealousy is no way to go through life son.

OMG you mean he is not Ivan Drago? Must train 24 hours a day... must crush opponent... let give you a little insight into a world you clearly dont understand, so for people in important high stress jobs, I realize you can't relate, you need down time to disconnect and recharge your batteries. This is what you call down time recharging your batteries.

I know how dare he actually have a life ... perhaps he should mope around and try change the past with every thought... perhaps he should "Rocky" the shit out of his work outs, record it and post it on Insta so the fan "experts" can finally say job well done?

Curious about your off season regime how many days have you actually spent in a gym?

Naa just don't give me this bull$%& thst he cares "too much". I'm glad you mentioned gym again, because that is one of the main reasons I posted the link. How fit does he look? Maybe 170lbs. Read the reddit, many people posted about how unfit he is.

Perhaps you want to show me all the recent articles about his intense offseason training?

I can show you many about Kucherovs intense offseasons. And we all know thst his offseasons are typically much shorter than Marners.

This is a player who may ve able to say "he cares too much". Training his ass off despite multiple cups and a conn Smith and short offseasons from being incredibly successful in the playoffs.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Agreed no one can help me, there is no cure for brilliance.

You can't build a better team for the playoffs without exceeding the regular season cap? Two of the last three Cup winners say "Hi!" ... are you saying the Leafs can't do what TB and Vegas did? Indeed saying what you mean and not being ambiguous with the original post would have saved both you and myself a needless interaction.
If you think you “won” that interaction you’re even more daft than I thought. I’m just gonna block you

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Delete please. Not worth even replying to
Out of all the posters that are anti Marner (it's ok to be anti Marner) this kid is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer... The years and time and effort they take to only talk about anything negative about Marner is worrisome.
Marner must have pissed in his corn flakes in hockey camp one year or something. ..

And this coming from someone who isn't against moving away from Marner, IF it helps and benefits the team.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Out of all the posters that are anti Marner (it's ok to be anti Marner) this kid is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer... The years and time and effort they take to only talk about anything negative about Marner is worrisome.
Marner must have pissed in his corn flakes in hockey camp one year or something. ..

And this coming from someone who isn't against moving away from Marner, IF it helps and benefits the team.

I’ve said this time and time again it comes down to envy in my opinion. A lot of people see Marner as the guy who is from the GTA and got the chance to play for his hometown team. The just assumed he would take a discount because he’s a leafs fan. It has little to do with Marner and more so, he’s not fitting the expectation people created in their heads for him. I think a lot of people think if they were put in his position they’d do better or make better decisions and that’s fair. But from the outset to expect him to be the one to take the discount was kind of unrealistic. Especially after the bonus and Babcock fiasco, you knew these 3 were going to get them back for the ELC negotiations.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
If you think you “won” that interaction you’re even more daft than I thought. I’m just gonna block you

LOL , Jesus this guy engages me with poor logic, I point out his faulty logic, it's not about winning or losing, its about thinking through your post before you call someone out, RunItBackAgain our relationship was so short I dedicate this to you...

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
It’s not easier to win in the Western conference. It’s still hard to win in the playoffs and requires a sacrifice. You can’t be disinterested and expect to win.

15 of the last 24 cup winners are from the East. 19 of the 24 last Veznia winners are from the East. 15 of the last 24 Norris winners are from the East. 19 of the last 24 President Cup winners are from the East. 18 of the last 24 Selke winners are from the East. 8 out the last 8 playoffs Keefe was our coach. Clearly the East is significantly more difficult environment.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
15 of the last 24 cup winners are from the East. 19 of the 24 last Veznia winners are from the East. 15 of the last 24 Norris winners are from the East. 19 of the last 24 President Cup winners are from the East. 18 of the last 24 Selke winners are from the East. 8 out the last 8 playoffs Keefe was our coach. Clearly the East is significantly more difficult environment.
It still takes sacrifice if you want to win a round or get out of the West.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
penguins had stars ,all star defenseman and a solid goalie .not 4 high priced dudes trying to screw a football

2016 Pens cup winning D:
15-24 games each unless otherwise specified
Letang
Dumoulin
Maatta
Lovejoy
Daley
Schultz
Cole
Pouliot (2 games)

2017 Pens cup winning D:
21-25 games each unless otherwise specified
Schultz
Cole
Maatta
Hainsey
Dumoulin
Daley
Streit (3 games)
Ruhwedel (6 games)

Checkmate.

The pens won on the strength of their forward group and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
It still takes sacrifice if you want to win a round or get out of the West.

It's the NHL, this goes without saying... point still remains the last two decades the East is typically more of a meat grinder than the West has been.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Exactly , if moving Marner helps the team peace but having an unhealthy obsession with topless pics of Marner and blaming only him for the failure of an organization is illogical.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's the NHL, this goes without saying... point still remains the last two decades the East is typically more of a meat grinder than the West has been.
Travel is much easier in the East.

There are always a couple of weaker playoff teams in the East each year and we’ve seen that if you draw one you have a decent chance of making the SCF, especially if it’s the first round.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I’ve said this time and time again it comes down to envy in my opinion. A lot of people see Marner as the guy who is from the GTA and got the chance to play for his hometown team. The just assumed he would take a discount because he’s a leafs fan. It has little to do with Marner and more so, he’s not fitting the expectation people created in their heads for him. I think a lot of people think if they were put in his position they’d do better or make better decisions and that’s fair. But from the outset to expect him to be the one to take the discount was kind of unrealistic. Especially after the bonus and Babcock fiasco, you knew these 3 were going to get them back for the ELC negotiations.
I envy Marner... but not Matthews or even Nylander or any other athlete? Give your head a shake. I've been watching the Leafs for over years...your opinion of Marner is far far further from the majority than mine is.

There are many reasons of why I don't want him on the Leafs, here's a quick list:

1) He's slow, has a weak shot and is easily knocked off the puck, traits I think are critical to playoff success
2)He's a skinny weakling afraid of contact. Clearly doesn't take offseason training seriously.
3)He is by all accounts treated like a baby... and acts like one.
4) His entitled interviews
5) His ridiculous contract expectations
6) His horsh$$$ playoffs
7) His soft play
8) Him name dropping past beloved former players (ie gilmour), a video reading a thank you letter to the fans listing a bunch of leaf greats after his ridiculous hold out.
9) He wears an A despite all the above and is counted on to be a leader of this team...yet need to be careful because he's sensitive?
10) Paul Marner (enough said)

What other leaf has this laundry list of issues?

Let's compare him to Nylander:

1) Nylander - Excellent skater, excellent shot, difficult to knock off the puck, traits I think are critical to playoff success
2)He's not huge but hes fit. He puts time into training in the offseason.
3) Of all the core 4, he was treated the worst by fans and media. Especially early on, including this board. Nobody cared about his feelings. Coaches have called him out In interviews.
4) He is always relaxed during interviews and doesn't retaliate.
5) He outplayed his last contract.
6) He's scored alot of goals in the playoffs.
7) He might be soft, but he's productive and able to lean on players to shield the puck.
8) Didnt create a thank you video thanking the fans after signing a ridiculous contract where he name dropped beloved former leafs.

I'm not a huge fan of Nylanders contract, but at least he's likeable, is more rounded offensively and doesn't come with the drama Mitch does. Nylander can handle this market, Mitch cant.

Do you want me to post for the 100th time the 7 plays (fuc$-ups) that Marner has made in the past 4 playoffs that led to gwgs against in critical must win games? 7!! Jesus... he's like the Leafs own kryptonite.

Last edited:

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Travel is much easier in the East.

There are always a couple of weaker playoff teams in the East each year and we’ve seen that if you draw one you have a decent chance of making the SCF, especially if it’s the first round.
Sadly the Leafs are one of those weaker playoff teams. Facing the Leafs in round one is almost a gaurenteed win to the next round. Boston took their foot of the gas at the end of the season to play Leafs. It was a smart move.

Reactions: Cypruss

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Jealousy is no way to go through life son.

OMG you mean he is not Ivan Drago? Must train 24 hours a day... must crush opponent... let give you a little insight into a world you clearly dont understand, so for people in important high stress jobs, I realize you can't relate, you need down time to disconnect and recharge your batteries. This is what you call down time recharging your batteries.

I know how dare he actually have a life ... perhaps he should mope around and try change the past with every thought... perhaps he should "Rocky" the shit out of his work outs, record it and post it on Insta so the fan "experts" can finally say job well done?

Curious about your off season regime how many days have you actually spent in a gym?

I've spent almost every single day in the gym for the past 12 years, even when on vacation. I'm married with a kid, a house, 2 cars while managing our family owned business. I was a trainer for several years and I've said it before, I am very confident that I'm in better shape than 95% of the athletes in the league, including Marner.

You see guys like him every day, guys that claim they want it but put in half the work. If Marner wants 6-7M I don't give a shit what he does in his summer, but when you want legitimate superstar money, you wanna be paid like you're THE GUY, we expect you to train and commit yourself to the team like THE GUY. And when you don't, you absolutely have to be held accountable. There's no reason why a fitness enthusiast like myself and many others, should be training harder and committing themselves harder than a professional athlete who demands the sun and the moon.

You're trying to shit on a poster for calling out how little effort Marner puts and trying to take personal shots ? You might lack the discipline, character and work ethic it takes to put in the physical work to train and continue to get better everyday, doesn't mean someone else does. This post really highlights that and your insecurities.

Again, you want to be paid like a top 5 or 10 player in the world ? Cool, we want you to work like a top 5 or 10 player in the world, it's called accountability. There's people that get it and people that don't. Nobody is telling him not to spend time with his wife, family etc, that's all fine, but if you want all the money, we want all the effort. You don't want to give all the effort ? Cool, don't demand the big bucks.

He doesn't have to post anything on social media, your body is the truest reflection of the work you put in and what you're consuming. People can talk all the shit they want, your physique can't lie.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sadly the Leafs are one of those weaker playoff teams. Facing the Leafs in round one is almost a gaurenteed win to the next round. Boston took their foot of the gas at the end of the season to play Leafs. It was a smart move.
I would think having a relatively soft first series wouldn’t hurt.

Reactions: HolyCrap

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I've spent almost every single day in the gym for the past 12 years, even when on vacation. I'm married with a kid, a house, 2 cars while managing our family owned business. I was a trainer for several years and I've said it before, I am very confident that I'm in better shape than 95% of the athletes in the league, including Marner.

You see guys like him every day, guys that claim they want it but put in half the work. If Marner wants 6-7M I don't give a shit what he does in his summer, but when you want legitimate superstar money, you wanna be paid like you're THE GUY, we expect you to train and commit yourself to the team like THE GUY. And when you don't, you absolutely have to be held accountable. There's no reason why a fitness enthusiast like myself and many others, should be training harder and committing themselves harder than a professional athlete who demands the sun and the moon.

You're trying to shit on a poster for calling out how little effort Marner puts and trying to take personal shots ? You might lack the discipline, character and work ethic it takes to put in the physical work to train and continue to get better everyday, doesn't mean someone else does. This post really highlights that and your insecurities.

Again, you want to be paid like a top 5 or 10 player in the world ? Cool, we want you to work like a top 5 or 10 player in the world, it's called accountability. There's people that get it and people that don't. Nobody is telling him not to spend time with his wife, family etc, that's all fine, but if you want all the money, we want all the effort. You don't want to give all the effort ? Cool, don't demand the big bucks.

He doesn't have to post anything on social media, your body is the truest reflection of the work you put in and what you're consuming. People can talk all the shit they want, your physique can't lie.

This posts like the others is a pile of trash. You guys are acting like he’s Phil Kessel.
For someone who works in a gym, you would be the first person to know that physique is not an indicator of how hard you work. Genetics plays a huge role. Someone can eat right, work out lots and still not put on a ton of weight because they have a high metabolism.

You also have guys who are just gifted like Patrick Mahomes who literally has a beer belly but we saw in the Netflix serious he works out pretty much everyday. But he’s still the best QB in the league. He’s regiment isn’t about being the most fit NFL player, it’s about him being at peak performance thoughout the year and sustaining a high level of execution when he needs to.

Being in the gym everyday has nothing to do with being a pro athlete. When you’re playing a sport at a high level, whether it’s at the college level or pro level you’re on a schedule that is best suited for you to have optimal performance throughout the year. I don’t understand how you or any other person thinks they can determine whether he works hard on not. YOU ARE NOT WITH HIM 24/7. It’s purely speculation. There is no basis or fact behind your claims. It’s just what’s in your head and what you’ve decided based on nothing honestly. That’s why you and other sound like haters.

There’s nothing wrong with Marner’s body arch. Playing at 180 or 175 works best for him. Him moving up to 190/200 probably doesn’t work for him.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

Has any of you marner haters actually seen any pictures of matthews physique. He is as bad or worse that marners

Most of the marner haters are Willy lovers. They could never get over the fact Willy is not and will never be in the same skill set as Mitch.
I can’t wait for Willy to pull his 10 game disappearing act this year like every year. This year he is making 11.5 and the pitchforks will come out.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Has any of you marner haters actually seen any pictures of matthews physique. He is as bad or worse that marners

Most of the marner haters are Willy lovers. They could never get over the fact Willy is not and will never be in the same skill set as Mitch.
I can’t wait for Willy to pull his 10 game disappearing act this year like every year. This year he is making 11.5 and the pitchforks will come out.

they act like Marner is built like Kyle Wellwood. That is a guy who legit did not give a rats ass about training. Marner just has a smaller physique. The obsession of that and turning that into him not working hard is actually a joke.

They call him slow, but then want him to add on 15 more pounds of muscle to play at a weight he’s never played at before, so he can be even more slower. It literally makes no sense.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This posts like the others is a pile of trash. You guys are acting like he’s Phil Kessel.
For someone who works in a gym, you would be the first person to know that physique is not an indicator of how hard you work. Genetics plays a huge role. Someone can eat right, work out lots and still not put on a ton of weight because they have a high metabolism.

You also have guys who are just gifted like Patrick Mahomes who literally has a beer belly but we saw in the Netflix serious he works out pretty much everyday. But he’s still the best QB in the league. He’s regiment isn’t about being the most fit NFL player, it’s about him being at peak performance thoughout the year and sustaining a high level of execution when he needs to.

Being in the gym everyday has nothing to do with being a pro athlete. When you’re playing a sport at a high level, whether it’s at the college level or pro level you’re on a schedule that is best suited for you to have optimal performance throughout the year. I don’t understand how you or any other person thinks they can determine whether he works hard on not. YOU ARE NOT WITH HIM 24/7. It’s purely speculation. There is no basis or fact behind your claims. It’s just what’s in your head and what you’ve decided based on nothing honestly. That’s why you and other sound like haters.

There’s nothing wrong with Marner’s body arch. Playing at 180 or 175 works best for him. Him moving up to 190/200 probably doesn’t work for him.
yup it is a pile a trash

I have no idea how anyone can believe Marner is out of shape when you see the amount of energy he expends on a consistent basis covering the ice he does for 20 plus mins a game .

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
yup it is a pile a trash

I have no idea how anyone can believe Marner is out of shape when you see the amount of energy he expends on a consistent basis covering the ice he does for 20 plus mins a game .

I completely understand thinking he’s not an effective hockey player and doesn’t play physical and that isn’t going to help you win. That’s understandable, but to sit on your phone or comp and try and convince us that he’s not in shape or doesn’t work hard is ludicrous. He plays 20 mins a night and all situations he’s not doing that without training properly and working hard throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad