Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
if that is thick, I'm an Adonis... ;) He's pretty average IMO , he has tone but no bulk.
Kutch has more Bennett in him while Marner has more Panarin in him. It would go a long way if Mitch, Matty and Nylander had some edge. Watching Matty laugh while being ragged dolled, Mitch look to the ref after Tkachuk punches him in the face is telling.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Daily affirmation and deep thoughts by Jack Handey.

“If you're a horse, and someone gets on you, and falls off, and then gets right back on you, I think you should buck him off right away. “

Need to trade him. He is weak in the games that matter. Might as well have Robertson running around out there on the perimeter at a fraction of the cost

Ways to make Marner want a trade:
Hello 2nd PP unit
Hello new third line centre
Hello 4th line centre
Hello no PP time
Bag skates every practice for him and his linemates after a crap game
Hello healthy scratch after a crappy selfish game
No Matthews Willy or Tavares TOI

Reeves and Dewer as linenates

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I get your point and agree with it. I would have done something about this core a year ago while we still have control over Willy and Marner. However Treliving resigned Willy so with Marners soon expiring deal he is the only realistic option now.

I dont get the expiring logic, all four have NMC/NTC. IMO anyone on the roster is a target to be moved. Give Berube half a year to work with these guys, he can then tell Tree, which players he wants and which ones need to be moved.

Reactions: francis246

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Kutch has more Bennett in him while Marner has more Panarin in him. It would go a long way if Mitch, Matty and Nylander had some edge. Watching Matty laugh while being ragged dolled, Mitch look to the ref after Tkachuk punches him in the face is telling.

I like Bennett's style more than a skill/soft game. I think the team takes on the personality of the coach and GM. Tree clearly likes the meaner more grunt in his line up type players. Berube is a hard ass. I have a feeling we are going to see more aggression from everyone, maybe not Bennett level but it will be more aggressive.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
On the bright side, since this is transition year, the World Hockey Championships are in Sweden next May so Willy can play at home.
Willie's probably got his calendar set and tickets booked.

2026/27 would be a good time for a new sweater design.
Can we let Shania or Tessa design them this time? Beibs sucked at it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You're the person who made the silly comparison with McDavid by saying their goal totals were similar (just this year) because they both get more assists. I just pointed out how misleading your statement was.

You shouldn't blame me for your bias causing you to make mistakes.

I will try hard to explain this to you, but if you don't understand it, not sure what can help.

The conversation revolved around goal scoring.

The original statement was that if he is being paid like a top 10 player, he should be scoring goals like a top 10 player.

I used the most extreme example to show how dumb of a statement that was.

That is not comparing players, that is showing that the idea that only goals should determine a player's contract is foolish.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I dont get the expiring logic, all four have NMC/NTC. IMO anyone on the roster is a target to be moved. Give Berube half a year to work with these guys, he can then tell Tree, which players he wants and which ones need to be moved.
Perhaps they revisit moving Nylander?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs playoff scorers past 5 years.

Willy has 17 goals for even more than Rocket Man Matthews .... In fact Auston & Mitch have 19 combined, which barely beats Willy.

1720366107424.png

Leafs lack of playoff scoring of the Core 4, resulting in early exists would not be on Nylander who contributes the most.

Leafs have struggled to score more then 2 goals a game in 13 of the last 14 games played, however the 2 expiring contracts of JT and MM combined for 16 goals over 5 playoffs are the weakest links.

So the Leafs have it right, if they want to improve you start at the bottom and work your way up!!

Marner has scored 6 goals over 6 playoff series. You don't need to pay someone > $12 for so little goal production.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Leafs playoff scorers past 5 years.

Willy has 17 goals for even more than Rocket Man Matthews .... In fact Auston & Mitch have 19 combined, which barely beats Willy.

View attachment 893075

Leafs lack of playoff scoring of the Core 4, resulting in early exists would not be on Nylander who contributes the most.

Leafs have struggle to score more then 2 goals a game in 13 of the last 14 games played, however the 2 expiring contracts of JT and MM combined for 16 goals over 5 playoffs are the weakest links.

So the Leafs have it right!!
That minus column could lead some to believe he gives up more than he gets.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Face it, this team is not close and needs to take a step back but because Matthews has 4 years left so they will continue patching around them until he leaves and then they will be looking at a new rebuild with 4 years of Nylander left. Shoot me.
What has Mathews done in the playoffs that Marner hasn’t?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

I think this is still a possibility. There is a big thing about Swedes linking up in Chicago. I could see Nylander accepting a trade to there. He grew up there and says it’s one of his favourite cities. Not saying I want that to happen because I don’t. Willy has grown on me and his scoring ability is insane

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think this is still a possibility. There is a big thing about Swedes linking up in Chicago. I could see Nylander accepting a trade to there. He grew up there and says it’s one of his favourite cities. Not saying I want that to happen because I don’t. Willy has grown on me and his scoring ability is insane
Yep good player no doubt. I’m sure the team will consider everything and keep an open mind like many of us.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Nylander isn't getting moved anytime soon lmao.
It's more likely Auston is dealt before Willy given their respective contracts.

Honestly, I think them signing Willy will end up being the end of Mitch in Toronto. I just can't see the team ever being a cup contender if they end up having two wingers with $11m+ contracts. It just doesn't make sense.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nylander isn't getting moved anytime soon lmao.
It's more likely Auston is dealt before Willy given their respective contracts.

Honestly, I think them signing Willy will end up being the end of Mitch in Toronto. I just can't see the team ever being a cup contender if they end up having two wingers with $11m+ contracts. It just doesn't make sense.
at least Styles made a long term commitment to the team, Mathews is bolting or taking the Leafs to the cleaners again............

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I will try hard to explain this to you, but if you don't understand it, not sure what can help.

The conversation revolved around goal scoring.

The original statement was that if he is being paid like a top 10 player, he should be scoring goals like a top 10 player.

I used the most extreme example to show how dumb of a statement that was.

That is not comparing players, that is showing that the idea that only goals should determine a player's contract is foolish.
I understood the conversation perfectly, and I also understand not only why you neglected to include the assist numbers, but why you continue to try to deflect.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's his physique is the reason why we are trading him? Are you trying to date him?

You do understand that the more muscular he is, the more oxygen his muscles need and the quicker he gets gassed. It's why you rarely see super muscular MMA fighters that are actually good, bulk is not good in sports that need longevity and are high cardio events.

Your opinion on Kucherovs physique?

Lean with strong lower body

Glad you asked. I said Marner doesnt take fitness seriously. Fitness would help him with board battles and staying on his feet. Which for a slow player would be very helpful. His lack of fitness along with his lack of grit/competiteness and high end skills (skating speed, shot speed) makes me not a big fan of him as a player. It's not just fitness that Marner lacks in, most importantly he's lacking in skating speed and shot speed.

Kessel is out of shape, but his skillset got him out of trouble. He had speed to burn.

Marner vs Kucherov?

Let's compare shot speed and speed of Marner and Kucherov.

Per NHL Edge Stats:

Kucherov:

Speed:
18-20mph - 89%
20-22mph - 89%
22+mph - 92%

Shot Speed:
70-80 mile hr shots - 94%
80-90 mile hr shots - 97%
90 - 100 mile hr shots - 79%

Marner:

Speed: