TV: What TV series are you currently watching/recently watched?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Station Eleven - 10 episode mini-series available on Max, about survivors of an apocalyptic pandemic. Not perfect, but artfully done. Cathartic watch. Binged all 10 episodes in a few days.
I watched Station Eleven last year and thought it was really good. Just watched Baby Reindeer which I really enjoyed. Before that I watched Kingdom which is a Korean show that I would describe as kind of being a cross between Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. Pretty decent but not great. Before that I watched season 2 of Outer Range. It has good acting but the plot is a bit of a mess.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Watching some old shows that I've meant to watch for a while just never got around to.

Twin Peaks - Finished the 1st season a week ago. It was decent but I'm worried I didn't like it as much as I thought I would have for a show that is highly acclaimed, and now I'm going to start season 2 which apparently gets real bad at points.
I don't think any form of entertainment has improved more over the last 30 years than TV drama series, so I can see where someone looking at it for the first time today might not think Twin Peaks was anything special. But at the time, there had never been anything like it on TV before.

I loved the series back then, and find it holds up pretty well today. As mentioned, there are some low points in Season 2 ( a certain plot involving the Civil War is particularly terrible), but the high points ( the episodes leading to the reveal of the killer, as well as the finale) more than make up for it.

Unfortunately, Lynch was held back by the constraints of network TV in the early 90s. The Return season on Showtime was his peak. I've never enjoyed a season of a TV series more than that one.

Reactions: Bruins4Lifer

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I don't think any form of entertainment has improved more over the last 30 years than TV drama series, so I can see where someone looking at it for the first time today might not think Twin Peaks was anything special. But at the time, there had never been anything like it on TV before.

I loved the series back then, and find it holds up pretty well today. As mentioned, there are some low points in Season 2 ( a certain plot involving the Civil War is particularly terrible), but the high points ( the episodes leading to the reveal of the killer, as well as the finale) more than make up for it.

Unfortunately, Lynch was held back by the constraints of network TV in the early 90s. The Return season on Showtime was his peak. I've never enjoyed a season of a TV series more than that one.

With the exception of James leaving the town arc i don't hate season 2. It picks up when Windom Earl shows up and the finale is among the best i've seen from a tv-show.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Watching some old shows that I've meant to watch for a while just never got around to.

Twin Peaks - Finished the 1st season a week ago. It was decent but I'm worried I didn't like it as much as I thought I would have for a show that is highly acclaimed, and now I'm going to start season 2 which apparently gets real bad at points.

Monty Python's Flying Circus - Pretty good sketch show. Some bits don't land quite as good as others but I'm enjoying it. Certainly can see how it influenced shows that came years and years later.
Check out the movie Fire Walk With Me also while on a Twin Peaks kick.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Rewatching Veep again. Think it is my favourite ever comedy. Comes out of the gate strong and doesn't slow up. Some great guest stars too.
FR this show should be talked about with the likes of the office/parks, but it never got that general populous popularity. Probably because it never went to Netflix.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I finally started The Office last week. Done two seasons and loving it. Not sure why I waited so long especially considering the British version is one of my favourite shows ever.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Rewatching Veep again. Think it is my favourite ever comedy. Comes out of the gate strong and doesn't slow up. Some great guest stars too.
I feel like everyone I know who has watched Veep loved it, but I rarely hear it get much chatter. I'm just starting to get more into comedy series, so maybe I'll give it a try after my Matt Berry fever wears off lol.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Watching Presumed Innocent on Apple+. Currently on episode 4 and so far it is very good. Not in love with the look of it, but the pacing and suspense of it all is great.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

Monty Python's Flying Circus - Pretty good sketch show. Some bits don't land quite as good as others but I'm enjoying it. Certainly can see how it influenced shows that came years and years later.
If you’ve never seen it watch Fawlty Towers. Possibly the funniest thing John Cleese has ever done. Only two seasons, I think 12 episodes in all. Each 30 min, so you can get through the whole thing pretty quickly.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Finally got around to season 2 of Tokyo Vice. First season was solid. Second was excellent. This is going to sound like ridiculous praise but it comes as close to The Wire vibes as anything i have seen. A little pulpier. It's not THAT good but it was pretty damn good.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Just finished season 4 of What We Do In the Shadows last night. Absolutely hilarious show. Colin Robinson is probably my favorite character on this show. His writing and Mark Proksch's acting in that character is absolutely hilarious.

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
I'm cherry-picking season 2 episodes of 'Evil' on Paramount..
I had watched, and liked, season 1 years ago.. but thought the series got lame at the start of its second season, so bailed.

But I'm kinda wanting to get back in to it, and give it another chance. Just watched a really cool, unique episode (S is for Silence) where the trio go to a monastery that lives in silence. Interesting story telling with almost no spoken dialogue. Reminded me of an old Friday the 13th episode where they infiltrated a monastery to retrieve a cursed item.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I'm cherry-picking season 2 episodes of 'Evil' on Paramount..
I had watched, and liked, season 1 years ago.. but thought the series got lame at the start of its second season, so bailed.

But I'm kinda wanting to get back in to it, and give it another chance. Just watched a really cool, unique episode (S is for Silence) where the trio go to a monastery that lives in silence. Interesting story telling with almost no spoken dialogue. Reminded me of an old Friday the 13th episode where they infiltrated a monastery to retrieve a cursed item.
Season 3 gets pretty wild. Season 4 (final season) been solid so far. Its definitely not prestige or HBO quality of a show, but I find its different to whats out there today and its a fun show that you dont have to put crazy amount of thought into.

Leland is such a great villain.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I'm rolling very old school lately:

Seinfeld (Season 4)
Sex And The City (Season 5)
X-Files (Season Six)
Melrose Place (Season Six)

My Best-Carey

• Love

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Just finished season 4 of For All Mankind and loved every season. The only questionable stuff to me was the Karen/Danny storyline in season 2 and Ed’s terrible old man make up but other than that, I really enjoyed it.

I’ve now started Foundation and just finished episode 3. I’m also enjoying this as someone who never read and probably never will read the books. It’s definitely scratching the sci-fi itch left by The Expanse.

Reactions: Jovavic

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I’ve now started Foundation and just finished episode 3. I’m also enjoying this as someone who never read and probably never will read the books. It’s definitely scratching the sci-fi itch left by The Expanse.
I've heard great things about this show. May give it a shot.

As for myself I started The Bear. Watched the first 6 episodes in a row, excellent show so far. Not sure why it's necessarily listed as a "Comedy", feels more like a drama to me. There are some funny moments, but it's more dramatic so far.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Doing a Justified rewatch. I always sing the praises of the second and third seasons, but I had forgotten how good the fourth season is.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Doing a Justified rewatch. I always sing the praises of the second and third seasons, but I had forgotten how good the fourth season is.
Excellent show, Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins are both incredible. Olyphant is a guy who kind of flies under the radar despite a very illustrious career.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The Shield season 3, halfway through, it's pretty good and has held up well for a 20 year old show

I just finished series 5. The first 3 seasons are definitely the best so far, then there is a drop. Still a very good show, but not the consistent binge watching highs of the first 3 seasons. About to start season 6.

Reactions: Jovavic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad