Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tanev just got his most lucrative contract at age 34, don't be so sure that there aren't dumb enough GMs to give out some large contracts at 36.
So true. I'm actually surprised there's been so little outrage of us giving 6 years to Tanev, seems like a really bad idea to me.

Reactions: rumman

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So true. I'm actually surprised there's been so little outrage of us giving 6 years to Tanev, seems like a really bad idea to me.

I hope they LTIR him... but it's the obvious plan and the league has investigated less, so just worries me a little with how bad the contract could be.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Not even close. Marner starts at 11.5. No way he’s accepting a 100K raise.

I also don’t think he signs for 8 years. That would put him at 36 and much more difficult to squeeze another big salary out of you.

If he signs for 4 at 12-12.5 million, he can still hold you ransom one more time like Matthews will.

And you will love it, praise it and think he gave us a great deal.

Marner wants more money than Nylander, but he would be an idiot to sign a 4 year deal. At age 32, he would be lucky to even get $8 million per on a long term deal...guy would be well over-the-hill, and still with a weak shot.

What this ungrateful guy Marner don't see is, if he signs an 8 year deal at $11.5 million per, he is essentially making $16 million per the first 4 years, then $7 million per for the last 4 years because that's probably what he's worth at age 32...so yeah, would be very idiotic to sign for 4 years even at $12.5 million per.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I hope they LTIR him... but it's the obvious plan and the league has investigated less, so just worries me a little with how bad the contract could be.
Yeah I'm a bit nervous about this also. I mean I know some people are saying that's will happen as if it's not an issue, I'm just not sure it's going to be that easy. What if 3 years from he's fallen off a cliff but can still play and wants to still play, what then?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
How many times have I read about this "hate cult" being nothing more than a small group on HF yet allegedly it's now significant enough to deter players from signing here?

Which exactly is it?

Same here. Not exactly sure what he's got his panties in a bunch over this time.
Its humid out, probably chafing.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I honestly don’t care about the 6 years at all. You do what you need to do to land the player within reason and there’s a good chance Tanev isn’t able to play anymore by then it’s a non issue. He is going to really help us for the next 3-4 years while we are in our window.

I absolutely hate that he got a full NMC for the whole contract however. But again, you don’t give him the clause, you probably don’t get him. These are the perils of being backed into large upgrades via free agency

Yeah I'm a bit nervous about this also. I mean I know some people are saying that's will happen as if it's not an issue, I'm just not sure it's going to be that easy. What if 3 years from he's fallen off a cliff but can still play and want to still play, what then?

Worst case we buy him out when the time comes. Fwiw, I don’t see Tanev as a guy who’s going to keep playing if it’s clear he can’t play anymore. I also don’t really think he’s in any danger of dropping off soon

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
He played 6 games in the reg season, had 8 pts and everyone was pumping his tires

After he got shut down and while he was getting shutdown the cult of marner got busy with the injury narratives

Marner didnt play any different in boston 2024 then he did vs flordia 2023, MTL 2021, or CBJ 2020
He's very injury prone.

Reactions: myleafs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I honestly don’t care about the 6 years at all. You do what you need to do to land the player within reason and there’s a good chance Tanev isn’t able to play anymore by then it’s a non issue. He is going to really help us for the next 3-4 years while we are in our window.

I absolutely hate that he got a full NMC for the whole contract however. But again, you don’t give him the clause, you probably don’t get him. These are the perils of being backed into large upgrades via free agency

Worst case we buy him out when the time comes. Fwiw, I don’t see Tanev as a guy who’s going to keep playing if it’s clear he can’t play anymore. I don’t think he’s also in any danger of dropping off soon
Well, that's one way of looking at it and I agree that that's probably their mindset. I guess I just don't see our window as even being open now, I mean not really. I'd rather take a step back with an eye to contending two years from now or so but whatever.

It wasn't long ago when many people here were saying that he's made of glass so I wouldn't count on him staying healthy. Although the last couple of years have bucked the trend, he has a history of missing a ton of games, we'll see what happens.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Well, that's one way of looking at it and I agree that that's probably their mindset. I guess I just don't see our window as even being open now, I mean not really. I'd rather take a step back with an eye to contending two years from now or so but whatever.

It wasn't long ago when many people here were saying that he's made of glass so I wouldn't count on him staying healthy. Although the last couple of years have bucked the trend, he has a history of missing a ton of games, we'll see what happens.

I get it, but from the perspective of management, I don’t think you can entirely look past this upcoming season as you’re suggesting when you have the greatest goalscorer of a generation in his prime and other similarly aged star players. There are no throwaway years imo.

We have Matthews under contract for 4 years. We push now to improve the team

Reactions: ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I get it, but from the perspective of management, I don’t think you can entirely look past this upcoming season as you’re suggesting when you have the greatest goalscorer of a generation in his prime and other similarly aged star players. There are no throwaway years imo.

We have Matthews under contract for 4 years. We push now to improve the team
Yes I do understand POV. It's just hard for to go on the record and say I agree with this when I've watched these guys fold in game 7 time and time again. This last year of JT's contract is one big obstacle to success, I have zero faith in Marner's ability to play like he's worth his pay in the playoffs, our goalies this season are a bigger question mark then they've been in the last I don't even know how many years, the chances of winning it all this season are near zero from there I sit. Most likely scenario is that we piss away more futures at the TDL to "fill the holes" and the lose in the 1st round one more time.

Jun 27, 2005
How many times have I read about this "hate cult" being nothing more than a small group on HF yet allegedly it's now significant enough to deter players from signing here?

Which exactly is it?
It's not "hate cult", the proper terminology is "cult of hate". It is only an hfboards thing and it has absolutely no influence on anything except itself, which is in the form of a massive circle jerk. Words matter.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Any reason to believe he wasn't healthy in April?

His edgework and skating looked very good to me, particularly in the wake of the ankle injury that forced him to miss some time.
I remember one time he was headed towards the corner going for the puck, then he noticed a Boston player headed in the same direction and he pivoted on a dime to strategically avoid the Boston player, and the corner, and the puck. I remember thinking that his edgework looked as good as it ever has in that moment and it also seemed to be evidence of him being the smartest player in hockey history as some have said that he is here - don't go where the puck is, go where it's going to be later ala the great Gretzky. I mean that time the puck didn't come to him but whatever, I'm sure it all works out in the long run.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I want to keep Marner, I'd still only offer 8 x 11. Nobody is going to give him north of 7 × 13, which even then is doubtful he'd take it. Having to move awY from family, friends, his new inlaws, his favourite team.

sure he won't jump on it until the 12th hour but he'd take it.

Just because William got 11.5, it won't cause him to leave the team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I want to keep Marner, I'd still only offer 8 x 11. Nobody is going to give him north of 7 × 13, which even then is doubtful he'd take it. Having to move awY from family, friends, his new inlaws, his favourite team.

sure he won't jump on it until the 12th hour but he'd take it.

Just because William got 11.5, it won't cause him to leave the team.
Nobody can say with 100% certainty what Marner would or wouldn't accept. With that in mind, I'll say that the chances of Marner settling for less than what Nylander got are less than 1%.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any reason to believe he wasn't healthy in April?

His edgework and skating looked very good to me, particularly in the wake of the ankle injury that forced him to miss some time.
There are some things I was let in on recently.

• Haha
Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Nobody can say with 100% certainty what Marner would or wouldn't accept. With that in mind, I'll say that the chances of Marner settling for less than what Nylander got are less than 1%.

Yeah I think the Leafs, if they are serious about extending Mitch, need to be like 11.5Mx8. You get the same deal Willy got. We can’t go any higher

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Interesting to see that Marner’s 0.88 pts/g playoff production is actually 22nd among all active NHL players. Matthews’ 0.87 is 23rd.

Only 12 active players are point per game or better.

Reactions: Lauro and ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad