Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
McDavid and Marner are the same age, and were drafted in the same draft. Marner joined the Leafs only one year after McDavid started playing. Marner has been on a better team for most of that time, especially between 2017-2021, and has been in the playoffs every single year, whereas the Oilers were very mismanaged for a number of years and weren't even a consistent playoff team until about 2021. Despite that, McDavid has only really had one poor showing in 2021 against the Jets, but has otherwise carried the Oilers with Draisaitl every other playoffs and set records that Marner can only dream of. McDavid had 8 playoff goals in 2023 alone (where both the Oilers and Leafs got eliminated in round 2), Marner has 11 CAREER playoff goals. Marner is not some kid who is in his first few years while McDavid is a seasoned veteran, they are the same age and have been in the league for roughly the same amount of time. McDavid figured it out, Marner didn't. McDavid has also played through some pretty major injuries such as PCL and abdominal tears.

This is a ridiculous comparison.

But wait, the points you score are only important in games 5 through 7, Gary says so. Players who perform well in the regular season and in games 1 through 4 does not count. Gary says so... McDavid disappeared in games 6 and 7 when it mattered most, that is a choker, guys who disappear in games 5,6,7 are chokers, Gary says so. Do I have that right Gary? When gauging the value of a player you can only look at games 5 through 7, Gary clearly said so.

If you restrict the parameters for any debate, it's easy to win the debate. In the room I'm currently in I'm the greatest hockey player in the world. I'm the greatest ever!!!

LOL, you're still trying to cpmpare Marner to McDavid? Are you waiting for McDavid to sign his next contract so the you can argue Marner should get a bit more than McDavid on his deal?

Clearly you're having a problem following the bouncing ball you dropped. Go back and read your post and then try to figure out why I framed my response the way I did.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Not sure what your point is here. I'm not even thinking about what Marner does when he's 35, I'm just hoping we don't sign him for 7 more years and are therefore stuck with him until he reaches that age.
What you hope for might be relevant the first couple of times you mention it. The 998 additional times...nobody gives AF

Reactions: francis246

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman has confirmed that multiple free agents crossed the Maple Leafs off their list due to the media and fans' treatment of Mitch Marner.​

Friedman revealed the news on Tuesday during an appearance on The Real Kyper and Bourne show following a very busy day one of free agency that saw over $1 billion worth of contracts handed out, between UFA deals and teams announcing lucrative extensions.​
"It's funny because one player told me that there are some players who have kind of watched from outside, about what's gone on with this whole [Mitch] Marner thing over the last month or two and were like, 'I want no part of that. Like, I don't want any part of that...'

I think there were some players who were like, 'Nope. That's not going to be me.'"

The reality is that everyone simply wants results. If the Maple Leafs were to actually win when it matters and go on a lengthy run in the postseason every year, I don't think the market would be even half as volatile as it is now. However, routine failure does funny things to people and all of the added pressure is more just a market starved for success than anything else.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman has confirmed that multiple free agents crossed the Maple Leafs off their list due to the media and fans' treatment of Mitch Marner.​

Friedman revealed the news on Tuesday during an appearance on The Real Kyper and Bourne show following a very busy day one of free agency that saw over $1 billion worth of contracts handed out, between UFA deals and teams announcing lucrative extensions.​

The reality is that everyone simply wants results. If the Maple Leafs were to actually win when it matters and go on a lengthy run in the postseason every year, I don't think the market would be even half as volatile as it is now. However, routine failure does funny things to people and all of the added pressure is more just a market starved for success than anything else.

I’m not even surprised. And that’s probably a toned down version of what players are actually saying about this market at this point. But it’s nice to know that despite that, we have 5 stars that want to be here.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
For me personally, I see an incredibly gifted hockey player. But I also see a complete pus&y on the ice most of the time. If he just learned to fight through checks more often, I think the perception might change.

For others, I think they see a spoiled, entitled kid. Not saying it’s true, but that’s the vibe he gives off.

Some others just don’t like his face
I was super excited after seeing Marner that first year. I hadn't really seen much of him up to that point. He dazzled and I told friends he isn't Gretz but his vision is a little like him. I would say the contract stuff and threats of offer sheets turned me off a bit and was the begining of the end for my appreciation of him. His love letter was one of the more cringy things I've seen but I was still in his corner. When he got his money and people/me had higher expectations that were clearly too high, he took on a defensive posture and began coming across like an entitled brat imo. His total lack of responsibility for any part in the playoffs failure was bizarre and affirming that he is not what you win with.

The more he said the more I didn't like him. I could still appreciate his skillset but I was souring on the person. which made it more and more difficult to root for him. To be fair Im not a huge fan of any of our big guns. I can appreciate what skills they do have but they do not imo have the dog in them which for some reason insults my DNA on a deep level. I was brought up to play hockey more like the Panthers than the Leafs.

Maybe he would be a fun person to have a beer with, I don't know.

His face doesn't bother me.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Buffalo and Calgary both exited in the 1st round 5 consecutive`times, Hartford whalers 6 times. To go 1 and 8 is tough because first off you have to be good enough to qualify 8 times.

hell we even booed my favourite all time Leaf (Mahovlich) just because he couldn’t score 2 goals to get to 50. I’m surprised we didn’t boo Mathews for not getting 70. Fans have gotten soft.
LoL Like wt actual F? You've outdone yourself my man...

• Haha
Reactions: rumman and HolyCrap

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

They don't want the 11 million on their first elc contract? Front loaded. They don't want to be top 3 in the
League in endorsement deals? They don't want the NMC? They don't want to play 1st pp with Nylander, Matthews and Tavares? Don't want to be glued to Tavares and Matthews every shift? They don't want management shielding them from blame for 6 years despite miserable playoffs? They don't want a coach who is scared to bench them? They don't want to not have to play physical in the playoffs, don't need to go to the net, scrums or into corners for pucks. Hmm color me shocked!

Leafs haven't taken it this far yet with Marner...

Dallas Stars’ ownership publicly calls out Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn: ‘They are f*cking horse-sh*t’​

Dallas Stars CEO Jim Lites ripped captain Jamie Benn and fellow high-priced forward Tyler Seguin, telling reporters their play has been "terrible" and saying owner Tom Gaglardi was frustrated as well.
Lites requested the interviews Friday, saying he believed Seguin and Benn deserved more public criticism with a team Lites says is underachieving.

The longtime Stars executive told The Athletic that Dallas would be in danger of missing the playoffs for the ninth time in 11 seasons without better play from Benn and Seguin. Lites told The Dallas Morning News both players "think it's easy, and that's what bothers me."

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

EF. The best "reporter" money can buy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Clearly you're having a problem following the bouncing ball you dropped. Go back and read your post and then try to figure out why I framed my response the way I did.
You're comparing Marner to McDavid and you think I'm going to spend my time trying to figure out how your mind works? Um, no thanks, I think I'll pass. LOL.
What you hope for might be relevant the first couple of times you mention it. The 998 additional times...nobody gives AF
So you can't explain what you point was. That's OK, it's not like this hasn't happened before.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
They are massively risk averse compared to the types of risks other actual contenders make though, right?

Vegas displays a level of ruthlessness & lack of sentiment that rubs people the wrong way, but still gets them results.

Tampa walked their captain to the brink not once, but twice, and were fully prepared to let him walk if he didn't accept their own terms.

Meanwhile, much like I said at the end of the season, I just don't think the Leafs front office has it in them to do anything other than make these guys as comfortable and supported as possible.
I don't know anyone who feels like that. Everyone I know looks at Vegas as winners and a team the Leafs should emulate.

Reactions: rumman and HolyCrap

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
hey Derren Ferris and Paul Marner.... We have a message for you from MLSE and especially from Leafs Nation regarding the contract negotiations

081312-Willows-Closed.jpg

It'a sad knowing this guy was our GM once. Explains why you keep getting let go from jobs. Still think Auston leaves for Arizona?

Burke should stfu. Leafs don't need a petulant child on the bench.

images

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Friendly reminder, Mitch is not getting traded so don't bother wasting time with hypothetical trade scenarios. He will walk to UFA and like the true mercenary he is, will take the biggest deal he can get.

Mark my words, Mitchy will have a career year next year and he's gonna absolutely bank.

giphy3232.gif

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Sounds like typical Friedman bullshit.

“One player told me that there are some players that have kind of watched…”

This guy may be the worst insider out there at this point. Everything he says is pretty obvious. No one needs “one player” to tell them how this Marner fiasco might turn FAs from signing here. It’s obvious.

And yeah, if you’re going to come to the Mecca of hockey, demand an insane overpay of a salary and fail miserably for 6-7 years straight, you’ll be hearing it from the fans and media. We don’t want those loser players anyway.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Nylander is our best player in the playoffs. The logical guy to move is Matthews. He doesn't sign long term deals, he has the best trade value and he gives the largest cap savings. We need his cap hit in 2 years to sign McDavid. McDavid and Marner are friends, so we need Marner to stay.

Matthews to Columbus for Fantilli, Jiricek and Lindstrom, Mateychuk

Screen Shot 2024-07-03 at 7.48.53 PM.png

• Wow
Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
But wait, the points you score are only important in games 5 through 7, Gary says so. Players who perform well in the regular season and in games 1 through 4 does not count. Gary says so... McDavid disappeared in games 6 and 7 when it mattered most, that is a choker, guys who disappear in games 5,6,7 are chokers, Gary says so. Do I have that right Gary? When gauging the value of a player you can only look at games 5 through 7, Gary clearly said so.

If you restrict the parameters for any debate, it's easy to win the debate. In the room I'm currently in I'm the greatest hockey player in the world. I'm the greatest ever!!!

Talk about restricting parameters, why did it suddenly go from games 5, 6, and 7 to just games 6 and 7, and only in one round?

These playoffs, in games 5, 6, and 7, McDavid had 3 goals and 10 assists in 9 games. 1.44 ppg.

Oct 18, 2010
Nylander is our best player in the playoffs. The logical guy to move is Matthews. He doesn't sign long term deals, he has the best trade value and he gives the largest cap savings. We need his cap hit in 2 years to sign McDavid. McDavid and Marner are friends, so we need Marner to stay.

Matthews to Columbus for Fantilli, Jiricek and Lindstrom, Mateychuk

View attachment 892067

Matthews is the type to decline waiving his NMC with all intentions of leaving.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Talk about restricting parameters, why did it suddenly go from games 5, 6, and 7 to just games 6 and 7, and only in one round?

These playoffs, in games 5, 6, and 7, McDavid had 3 goals and 10 assists in 9 games. 1.44 ppg.
I just can't take anyone seriously if they start comparing MM to McD playoffs stats.

Lets put it this way, if McD is on the market, 31 teams will be lining up with offers to outbid each other to get McD.
MM was on the market but I don't see any teams lining up with great offers for his service.

Burke is a windbag as always
Didn't Burke also said JT is a Leafs before the draft?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sounds like typical Friedman bullshit.

“One player told me that there are some players that have kind of watched…”

This guy may be the worst insider out there at this point. Everything he says is pretty obvious. No one needs “one player” to tell them how this Marner fiasco might turn FAs from signing here. It’s obvious.

And yeah, if you’re going to come to the Mecca of hockey, demand an insane overpay of a salary and fail miserably for 6-7 years straight, you’ll be hearing it from the fans and media. We don’t want those loser players anyway.
Poor Mitch. I didn’t realize he was treated so badly. Treated like Gods and paid 11 million. What a fiasco of an organization.
If I were him, I’d ask for a trade. No way I’d stay with that disrespect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad