Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Also, JT should signed a four year extension at $3M per year. He should also offer to give up his C for Matthews (or trade it for an A).

We want a culture change? New GM (last year), new Coach, new Captain, players taking less to be Leafs (or remain Leafs), re-built D, a wave of young players stepping in and contributing on ELCs or second deals, and $9M more to spend next year just because MM and JT took less.

This all starts with Marner being an easy re-sign a year early.
Tavares at 37-38....wonder what that would look like....

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: hotpaws

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The scam is over. Nobody's coming to Toronto on discounts anymore to "play with the stars", they all see it for what it is now.

You sign in Toronto to be the only guy who plays physical, battle in corners, get hit to retrieve pucks etc... Cause the "gods" of the team are too good for any of that.
Did they ever come here on discounts? I mostly remember Toronto being the cash in place to step from playing to being semi retired……..

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ironically, the people trying to make a person's life worse over a sport are the true bitches.
Weren't you guys saying that this was all a myth? And that you only see this "hate cult" on HFBoards?

The kid's went out his way to make himself as hateable as possible
Not everyone. We could count them up but it seems to be about 12 - 14 or so. They overwhelm you with lies and redundancy to make it seem like there's a lot more.
So the irrational hate cult is somehow infiltrating Mitch's cottage to boo him too?

No I think he's just reaping what he's sowed. His negotiations / playoff performances have turned him into a very hated player for his fanbase (rightfully so).

Did they ever come here on discounts? I mostly remember Toronto being the cash in place to step from playing to being semi retired……..
I think ROR's off-handed comments kind made their mark around the league.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Weren't you guys saying that this was all a myth? And that you only see this "hate cult" on HFBoards?

The kid's went out his way to make himself as hateable as possible

So the irrational hate cult is somehow infiltrating Mitch's cottage to boo him too?

No I think he's just reaping what he's sowed. His negotiations / playoff performances have turned him into a very hated player for his fanbase (rightfully so).

I think ROR's off-handed comments kind made their mark around the league.
ROR obviously knows a gong show when he sees one, couldn’t get out of here fast enough, and who could blame him…….

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Regardless of how one feels about it, from the looks of things I'd wager media chtter about an extension will start to increase. Thats not to write off a trade100%, but if that was the main plan I suspect the Leafs would have been more aggressive in free agency

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
ROR obviously knows a gong show when he sees one, couldn’t get out of here fast enough, and who could blame him…….
Oh for sure. He's been on an up and comer type of team in his days with Colorado, a true gong show in his days with Buffalo, and a real heart and soul winner in St. Louis.

I think ROR is an asshole, but he likely saw Toronto's core and knew what was up.

• Love
Reactions: mikeyz

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Completely different than Willie. From the start, both sides seem to want to work on a deal, just can’t agree on the price. With MM, it seems like at least one side if not both don’t want to work on a deal.
Utah still got pieces that would interest MM and with that Durzi’s contract, think they will have no problem making MM the highest paid winger in the league.
Keller, Njugstad, 1st and 2nd for MM would be a good deal.
Also Bill signed well before the deadline, would have been interesting if negotiations fell apart what happened. The Leafs caved all the way, that's a horrible deal and it makes Marner's more problematic.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Also Bill signed well before the deadline, would have been interesting if negotiations fell apart what happened. The Leafs caved all the way, that's a horrible deal and it makes Marner's more problematic.
Shouldn’t have resigned him in January, no one was matching that deal and he might of kept his foot on the gas all season and playoffs knowing his payday depended on it………

Reactions: Craig Button

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Also, JT should signed a four year extension at $3M per year. He should also offer to give up his C for Matthews (or trade it for an A).

We want a culture change? New GM (last year), new Coach, new Captain, players taking less to be Leafs (or remain Leafs), re-built D, a wave of young players stepping in and contributing on ELCs or second deals, and $9M more to spend next year just because MM and JT took less.

This all starts with Marner being an easy re-sign a year early.

Yes he should... somewhere else...

Reactions: OddyOh

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
JT gets a free pass? Like are you actually new around here or something?
Well to be fair 34 gets a free pass, guy finally shows up for one playoff game and he's anointed Mark Messier here. Best goal scorer in the league pots ONE goal in last two playoff series and it's crickets. Marner deserves scorn, plenty to go around and the big gun and his blanks strangely omitted from discussion, with an obscene price tag too. If 34 ever came through we wouldn't even be talking about Marner.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How's this any different from you pinning literally every problem in this organization on Tavares?
there's 2 reasons

1) Marner is a much much better player than Tavares

2) we know the NYI vastly improved the second JT left and this after having to listen to how poor Johnny had no ne to play with since the entire team was crap and was letting him down

-

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Well to be fair 34 gets a free pass, guy finally shows up for one playoff game and he's anointed Mark Messier here. Best goal scorer in the league pots ONE goal in last two playoff series and it's crickets. Marner deserves scorn, plenty to go around and the big gun and his blanks strangely omitted from discussion, with an obscene price tag too. If 34 ever came through we wouldn't even be talking about Marner.
So why is that then?

Why is that Mitch draws significantly more attention to himself in this regard than Matthews or Nylander? People just don't like his face or what?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Name a team othe rthan perhaps Ottawa that is as incompetent as the Leafs mgmt……..
Pittsburgh's is much worse

after Dubies first offseason where he was adding long term cap anchors to try to win he's now adding cap dumps with sweeteners

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
If MM or anyone want to change their narrative, just perform in playoffs and when it matters most.
Don’t be a turtle in elimination games, don’t make careless mistakes in crucial times and score the big goal instead of letting the other team player skate past you in the neutral zone without even a tap or using your body to block his path to make it more difficult.
Of course. I said if he doesn't perform in the playoffs we should be having this discussion again next year and then we are trying to move a guy with eight years instead of a pending UFA. I think having a strong season under Berube is the best way to set him up for a better playoff.

I agree with you though.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad