Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So would I but I doubt the Blues are offering that. Can't wait until Monday noon.

I'd add and light the CN Tower in Sens colours until September to get a deal done. Running it back is punting on next season.

Why do people say that about the CN tower?

You realize it’s owned by the king of England right? It’s owned by the federal crown. Not Toronto

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Players who play in Canada have to pay Federal/Provincial income tax. you got a point about Canadian teams get gate revenue in CAD but pay their players in USD.
The players in the us also pay federal and state income tax (in most states) county and city taxes.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It’s a Toronto landmark, so ya it’s got alot to do with Toronto……..

It’s a federal building. That happens to be in Toronto. It’s their property. Montreal is every bit a part of Canada as Toronto/ottawa etc.

Do the sens own parliament hill? If a team ever wins the cup Should Ottawa fans be mad if another team gets invited?

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
That’s closer to what I was thinking and that’s at the highest rate. What is the provincial tax rate in Ontario?
this is the one i usually reference

And in Canada he will funnel some of his comp into an RCA and mitigate almost the entirety of the tax difference between those jurisdictions. But yet this myth lives on because it gives Canadian fans a boogeyman to blame for why some athletes don't want to play in Canada.
in some states you dont need to hire a tax magician to help you keep your $$, and that is a big difference also.
jumping through a dozen hoops and then have the CAD gov't investigate you anyways (ala Tavares) vs, no/low tax states where you dont need to hire anyone or do anything to 'keep' your $$

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Trading Marner would be a huge mistake. Mathews scored 69 goals playing with him. JT scored 49 goals with him. Kadri had his best goal scoring year as a Leaf with him. Same as JVR.
Our new coach will sort out the players who do not compete nightly. Marner played for Hunter he will be fine. Nylander will be the first dog house resident.
I'm guilty of this but the mistake is arguing with people who believe status quo is keeping Marner. 7 players are no longer leafs on July 2 and if it were 21, it would be status quo if Marner was left...according to them.
Here is hoping they all get a good start to the year. I really don't mind if the Coach leans on everyone from time to time. It just means he is doing his job. If they don't buy into his system, by all means bench them.

I have a feeling things are going to get hot for a few of them.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s a federal building. That happens to be in Toronto. It’s their property. Montreal is every bit a part of Canada as Toronto/ottawa etc.

Do the sens own parliament hill? If a team ever wins the cup Should Ottawa fans be mad if another team gets invited?
I must say you bring great fodder to a hockey forum…….

Reactions: HolyCrap

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Worst case, I would gladly walk away from the 12.5m (min) that he'll demand next summer and put that towards free agency. Potentially tons of solid UFAs available next year.

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
So how long until Brad announces the trade?

Marner and Robertson (both extended)+ kampf + 3rd rounder to Utah in exchange for Keller, Bjugstad, and a 1st.
Unfortunately never, the Leafs do not appear too anxious to let's go of the Marner jersey sales and he basically gave the FU when approached to waive his NMC

Reactions: rumman

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
yup Dubas f***ed it all up but if we let him walk then what ?

an okay player like Toffoli just got 6m x 4yrs at 32 yrs old , a decent middle 6 complimentary winger like DeBrusk signed for 5.5m x 7 yrs , hell even a washed Brodie who we sat got almost 4m x 2yrs

the markets nuts and with the cap projected to increase i doubt it gets any better so while people are pissed and want their pound of flesh i doubt taking it out on Marner is going to make us a better team
Ok, so you wanna extend Marner and give him another NMC (which is a given these days) so we're stuck with first round exits for the next 8 years and without an opportunity to make change?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
How do you come up with that math? The highest state income tax is around 13% and the average is about 6% Even if they were taxed at the highest rate it wouldn’t be that much of a difference. I think they’re supposed to file in each state they earn income, at least I do, so unless there’s provision I assume they do.
There are nhl tax calculators from professional sites.
Try this one

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unfortunately never, the Leafs do not appear too anxious to let's go of the Marner jersey sales and he basically gave the FU when approached to waive his NMC
You frothers would be taken a little more seriously if you weren't constantly making things up.

Reactions: bax

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
My guess is Mitch won’t waive, which is certainly within his rights. It was never going to be easy.
Seems like an oppostite position than 52.6% of those polled. I never understood what benefit people figured Marner would get from agreeing to such hypotheticals.
An interesting question would be how much the team would pay him later in the year if he is having a career year. It seems like we have been through this before.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Seems like an oppostite position than 52.6% of those polled. I never understood what benefit people figured Marner would get from agreeing to such hypotheticals.
An interesting question would be how much the team would pay him later in the year if he is having a career year. It seems like we have been through this before.
I always said they will extend him. I don’t agree with it, but it always seemed like the outcome.

Reactions: Notsince67

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
and you'd probably be taken more seriously if you actually had the teams interest in mind instead of Mitch Marner's
there you go making things up again

Did everyone think he was getting moved right on July 1st?
Not everyone. We could count them up but it seems to be about 12 - 14 or so. They overwhelm you with lies and redundancy to make it seem like there's a lot more.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes total taxes. Net income. And yes the top tax bracket if you live in Ontario is about 53% of your gross income.
seems like it’s a federal tax issue and not a provincial one. I don’t think the NHL should be getting involved in what the majority want.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Again not true ... Mitch is a PPG player over the last 3 years...playing PK, ES and PK... how many elite wingers can claim those assignments in the playoffs and be PPG players?

I get the desire for change, I don't get the desire to make our most valuable and douchie face man child winger the scape goat.

Change does not = better results, you only have to look at the Blue Jays to see that change is not always better.
After the first few games, he stops producing.

He's not "the scapegoat", plenty of blame to go around but he's supposed to be an elite point producer and if he keeps fading into nothingness when the pressure is on, he deserves his share of blame and it's a pretty big share. For an 11 million cap hit, he needs to do more than kill penalties and as far as him being on those special teams, how much praise do you want to heap on him for that when those special teams suck and blow in the playoffs as they've been doing.

Yes JT has also been a massive disappointment but I think everyone agrees that we're not paying him big money after his contract is up. What baffles me is why would we want to commit to Marner for another long term deal at top dollar?

Change may or may not produce better results, that's obvious. But isn't it even more obvious by now that rolling it back isn't going to work? 1-8 in playoff series, we could be 1-11 three years from now with Marner still disappearing when the pressure is on and locked up for another 6 years at top dollar, how does that picture look?

Moving on from Marner is risky. But giving him another sweetheart of a contract at this point seems more risky, a lot more!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm guilty of this but the mistake is arguing with people who believe status quo is keeping Marner. 7 players are no longer leafs on July 2 and if it were 21, it would be status quo if Marner was left...according to them.
Here is hoping they all get a good start to the year. I really don't mind if the Coach leans on everyone from time to time. It just means he is doing his job. If they don't buy into his system, by all means bench them.

I have a feeling things are going to get hot for a few of them.
Status quo is keeping the core together. We're already committed to 3 of the 4 so Marner is the only part we can still move on from.

If you think changing a few Dmen and signing Murray and whatever else we've done is going to make us serious contenders instead of 1st round fodder, you're dreaming. The core is the same, shuffling around the spare parts around them and expecting different results makes no sense, even if "7 players are no longer leafs on July 2".

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Shout out to Nick Kypreos. Where are those 28 teams that were lining up to trade for and pay Mitch Marner $100m?
You're assuming any of them made an offer the Leafs liked.
Yes, he’s had a nmc for 367 days. Yesterday, after his bonus was paid and before free agency, was the optimal time to announce the trade.
Announce a trade that doesn't exist? That's a bold strategy.
it was a brutal goal and not even a great shot but yeah he scored a cup winning goal, nice one by him
I thought it was a good shot that had some mustard on it. Goalie's positioning wasn't great.
I don't know why the leafs care so much about getting a haul. It's been obvious for 5 years that this player and his salary couldn't be a worse fit culturally, stylistically, and cash wise. Just move on. Get what you can and make a change. Do the change you implied, doesn't need to be perfect
Like it or not, the Leafs are still open to re-signing him. They wouldn't trade him for peanuts.
He probably hates that the media is driving this narrative that he must trade his most productive playoff performer.
The end-of-season "everything is on the table" presser drove the narrative. Media just followed it to its suggested conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad