Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Voted no and re-signed.

2nd. choice would be he walks.

To be honest, either would be fine.

Rather get assets for him, but Cap Space is an asset, just that you never know what is going to be available on July 1st.

Yesterday some teams did quite well with that asset.

Reactions: LeafSteel

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
We need to get these cap percentages down to increase value or remove one of the 4 to balance the team.
it seems that teams that win the cup have players that have a player or 2 that play above their cap hit. Our 4 do not
No the teams that are winning the cup are cap circumventing the ltir or are all tax free states
The tax free states can sign a player firc9 million we have to offer 11 million at the same take home pay.

Reactions: supermann_98

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Here's the thing...

Does it serve Toronto to say something other than: We value Mitch Marner.

Whether its true or not is a separate matter.
Of course. Even if things are rocky you do so. The only time you go scorched earth is if the player speaks publicly and aggressively. Then even a corporation has to show some spine.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I watched this presser... Tree doesn't exude happiness when talking about Marner. He seems frustrated with the very thought and he doesnt deny the rumors either or defend Marner. His demeanor was "Marner won't waive, so he's on the team next year...nothing we can do".

He probably hates that the media is driving this narrative that he must trade his most productive playoff performer.

• Haha

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
he's slightly off... that same deal in Toronto would have the below in additional taxes paid, so, a bit over 10 in Toronto as an equivalent

Difference in Tax Paid​

$1,424,180
And in Canada he will funnel some of his comp into an RCA and mitigate almost the entirety of the tax difference between those jurisdictions. But yet this myth lives on because it gives Canadian fans a boogeyman to blame for why some athletes don't want to play in Canada.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leave it to the NHL to implement a hard cap but ignore that teams that play in no tax states have an unfair advantage.
What about teams that pay in US dollars yet they convert to Canadian. 20% is a lot bigger 6% and seems like a pretty big advantage.
I don’t the believe the players that live and play in Canada have to pay any state income tax, where as American based players may have to file state income tax in every state they play in.

Reactions: ToneDog

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Trading Marner would be a huge mistake. Mathews scored 69 goals playing with him. JT scored 49 goals with him. Kadri had his best goal scoring year as a Leaf with him. Same as JVR.
Our new coach will sort out the players who do not compete nightly. Marner played for Hunter he will be fine. Nylander will be the first dog house resident.

Did you watch the playoffs?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

1719937595212.png

1719937633200.png

Tavares says no problem getting tax relief. :sarcasm:

What are the taxes in the "Show me" state?

If it isn't in writing, tear it up and throw it away.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
And in Canada he will funnel some of his comp into an RCA and mitigate almost the entirety of the tax difference between those jurisdictions. But yet this myth lives on because it gives Canadian fans a boogeyman to blame for why some athletes don't want to play in Canada.
Think there is more than tax that players don’t want to play in Canada.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
They can at least take the A away from him. If it were up to me, Matthews C, Rielly A and Nylander A.

Matthews doesn’t deserve the C but I’ll admit he’s better than Tavares.

It should be Rielly. I know everyone is hating on him after one bad playoffs but to me he’s the only one that truly deserves wearing the C for the Leafs.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Sure but if he followed Marner and Nylander he would have asked for Barkov money. Florida has a team culture and they fall in line. We do not. They have a SC, while we have been roaming the desert for 57 years looking for Lord Stanley.
true

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
How do you come up with that math? The highest state income tax is around 13% and the average is about 6% Even if they were taxed at the highest rate it wouldn’t be that much of a difference. I think they’re supposed to file in each state they earn income, at least I do, so unless there’s provision I assume they do.
Obviously more complicated than this because you'd have smart people doing your taxes but the difference is vast and shocking. This is 8.650 Fla vs 11.50 Ontario
Screenshot 2024-07-02 124130.png
Screenshot 2024-07-02 124119.png

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Trading Marner would be a huge mistake. Mathews scored 69 goals playing with him. JT scored 49 goals with him. Kadri had his best goal scoring year as a Leaf with him. Same as JVR.
Our new coach will sort out the players who do not compete nightly. Marner played for Hunter he will be fine. Nylander will be the first dog house resident.

I don’t see Matthews goalscoring as being dependent on Marner tbh, but I agree with the sentiment. Matthews played a lot of last season without Marner

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

None of us here should pretend to understand how taxes work for these people. What we do know is this is a discussion around the league and the tax benefits and disadvantages of certain markets have been publicly acknowledged by NHL players who are living it

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If Mitch is still here on monday then hes starting the season with the leafs. Neither the Knights or the Preds have the cap space anymore to take on most/all of mitchs contract so unless theres another team hes willing to me moved to then its done.

Running it back #1467, here we go!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I heard he also stole Christmas from the Who's down in Whoville.
Well, both the Grinch and Mitch have very little heart, a Christmas in Whoville cured that affliction for the Grinch, maybe it would cure Mitch too? Oh wait, that’s a fairytale, never mind……..

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Quite the cap. Marner "competing" Nightly in a seven game series just got you less than what Nylander gave you in 4 games suffering from partial blindness lol. Give it a rest.

If people are fine with this year being a write off then sure bring Mitch back at a discount next year. That is as long as JT isn't signed for more than $3M and we bring in a legit top #2 Defenseman. If that can't happen, trade him/let him walk as our cap is too skewed toward no show dudes. Need to spread the wealth.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
how DARE you use logic!

Admittedly logic is a flaw of mine not a feature...

Problem is your lemon can't go the speed limit in April. I get it, if you move Mitch the sum of the parts will never equal Mitch, but what the 3 amigos bring is less than the sum of it's parts in the playoffs. Sometimes you need to change course, taking a step back to take two steps forward.

You can raise all the stats you want. The bottom line is we are 1-8 in playoff series in 8 years with the 3 amigos leading the way. How many more losses do we need before we admit, what we have is not working? I know I have seen enough and I am not alone.

He's a PPG in the playoffs over the last 3 years, including having a significant lower body injury and doing that vs 3 of the best goalies in the league. I dont understand the April comment.

Why does JT get a free pass and why does it make mores sense to trade a 90 point player who is entering his prime vs trading a 65 point player with declining skills?

Reactions: diceman934

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
How do you come up with that math? The highest state income tax is around 13% and the average is about 6% Even if they were taxed at the highest rate it wouldn’t be that much of a difference. I think they’re supposed to file in each state they earn income, at least I do, so unless there’s provision I assume they do.

Wouldn't most provinces in Canada be more than 50% of your Gross?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
The only problem with Marner is that a few games into the playoffs when teams settle down and start playing defence he becomes a non-factor. Great player otherwise and if you don't care about winning playoff rounds, he's a keeper.

Again not true ... Mitch is a PPG player over the last 3 years...playing PK, ES and PK... how many elite wingers can claim those assignments in the playoffs and be PPG players?

I get the desire for change, I don't get the desire to make our most valuable and douchie face man child winger the scape goat.

Change does not = better results, you only have to look at the Blue Jays to see that change is not always better.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
What about teams that pay in US dollars yet they convert to Canadian. 20% is a lot bigger 6% and seems like a pretty big advantage.
I don’t the believe the players that live and play in Canada have to pay any state income tax, where as American based players may have to file state income tax in every state they play in.

Players who play in Canada have to pay Federal/Provincial income tax. you got a point about Canadian teams get gate revenue in CAD but pay their players in USD.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Admittedly logic is a flaw of mine not a feature...

He's a PPG in the playoffs over the last 3 years, including having a significant lower body injury and doing that vs 3 of the best goalies in the league. I dont understand the April comment.

Why does JT get a free pass and why does it make mores sense to trade a 90 point player who is entering his prime vs trading a 65 point player with declining skills?
Nobody is taking Tavares without a sweetener and I bet Leafs plan to resign him for a lower cap hit before they ask him to waive. Had they not overpaid the 3 amigos, they could run it back until they retired but these guys chose to take every cent, so now it is time to stop the insanity because they have proven they cannot get it done as the alphas.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad