Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Exactly. I was going to respond to this as well but you did it more succinctly than I probably would have. I would only add that I never had a problem with Kessel, not sure why people still think he wasn't a good player for us.

Regular season Marner>>>Nylander.
Playoffs Nylander>>>Marner.

That's all there is to it really so it just comes down to what you care about more, regular season or playoffs.

Nylander hit 98 point this season, Marner's best season is 99, then 97, 94 and 85 so thinking he'll "easily exceed Nylanders career year this year on offense" seems to be nothing more than homerism coming from a Marner fanboy, it isn't rational thinking that's for damn sure. And if Berube plays Domi with Mattnews instead of Marner which seems logical, than Marner's offence might end up being a lot less than you're hoping for.

That's the sad state of affairs when it comes to both Marner and the team as a whole. The biggest thing we've got going for us is "anything's possible".
Marner hit 99 points in 80 games when he was 25 years old. He hit 97 in 72 at 24.
Nylander hit 98 points in 82 this year. How f***ing specious.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If he was being traded it would have to be tomorrow after he’s paid the bonus and there’s no way we wouldn’t know about by now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner hit 99 points in 80 games when he was 25 years old. He hit 97 in 72 at 24.
Nylander hit 98 points in 82 this year. How f***ing specious.

Marner blocked a shot in the playoffs against Boston 7 years ago, that's not going to help him next year either.

The fact remains that Marner has done better than 98 points once in his entire career with 99 so thinking he'll "easily" do it again next season is like I said earlier, not rational. It might happen, but then again based on history it's more likely to not happen, especially if he doesn't get to leech off Matthews.

Reactions: Racer88

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Yes and yes. It does sound like he is staying and it's because teams are not offering much.

Look at it objectively...

If you are a GM, what would YOU give up for Mitch Marner? Yes, he will get you 90 points in the regular season, but he's EXPENSIVE and he disappears in the playoffs. So, unless you are a GM who is ONLY trying to make the playoffs, are you really going to trade for him when you can get him for free in a year?
Exactly. If Marner stays and the Leafs don't give him the typical overpay extension he's in for a rude awakening from the rest of the league in regards to his TRUE market value.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner blocked a shot in the playoffs against Boston 7 years ago, that's not going to help him next year either.

The fact remains that Marner has done better than 98 points once in his entire career with 99 so thinking he'll "easily" do it again next season is like I said earlier, not rational. It might happen, but then again based on history it's more likely to not happen, especially if he doesn't get to leech off Matthews.
Lol. He did better this year based on games played and he is a year younger in his career.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Toronto Maple Leafs.

For a guy who has posted several times over several months telling others to ignore me, I do find it amusing, you may be my most consistent responder over that time period. lol!
Nice deflection. I noticed you didn't answer my question.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Or at least the understanding was that Dubas wasn’t going to Qualify him thereby making him a UFA who could go back Pittsburgh . Signing for 1/3 of his previous salary at that young an age is surprising though.

That seems too complicated.

As a UFA there was no guarantee Rodrigues would return to Pittsburgh. I think Occam's razor applies here. Dubas probably thought he could sign Rodrigues to one of his cheap-o deals and could not.

Rodrigues tested free agency and found only one other team as suitor: the same one that traded him in the first place.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If they don’t trade him or re-sign him it could become a distraction all year and then if they make the playoffs he’ll once again be under the microscope to prove himself.

Trade? Good one !!!

The first opportunity BT approaches Marner/Ferris with an acceptable trade offer, I fully expect the Marner camp to stomp their feet, cry outrage and fully defy management desires to move on and invoke their NMC, publicly announcing they're going nowhere.

I expect this situation to get a lot messier before its resolved, and a complete team distraction. I also expect Marner and his agent (with an known reputation) to use that to try extract and leverage a pay raise and new contract out of TO to silence the noise.

Can you imagine a player coming off a brutal invisible disappointing playoff year with 1 goal and 3 points lining up for a big pay raise to a salary after 8 playoff years of failure and under-performing? I don't understand how anyone could endorse a pay raise for Marner other than Mitch, his family and his agent.

I don't have my Webster's dictionary handy, do you mind looking up definition difference between "Extortion and Blackmail" and which one would best apply to the Marner situation in Toronto? :sarcasm: :wg:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Trade? Good one !!!

The first opportunity BT approaches Marner/Ferris with an acceptable trade offer, I fully expect the Marner camp to stomp their feet, cry outrage and fully defy management desires to move on and invoke their NMC, publicly announcing they're going nowhere.

I expect this situation to get a lot messier before its resolved, and a complete team distraction. I also expect Marner and his agent (with an known reputation) to use that to try extract and leverage a pay raise and new contract out of TO to silence the noise.

Can you imagine a player coming off a brutal invisible disappointing playoff year with 1 goal and 3 points lining up for a big pay raise to a salary after 8 playoff years of failure and under-performing?

I don't have my Webster's dictionary handy, do you mind looking up definition difference between "Extortion and Blackmail" and which one would best apply to the Marner situation in Toronto? :sarcasm: :wg:
The Leafs already had trade discussion by now and it doesn’t appear that’s an option. At this point they’re left with re-signing or letting him walk at the end of the contract.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Trade? Good one !!!

Can you imagine a player coming off a brutal invisible disappointing playoff year with 1 goal and 3 points lining up for a big pay raise to a salary after 8 playoff years of failure and under-performing? I don't understand how anyone could endorse a pay raise for Marner other than Mitch, his family and his agent.

It's niether.

It's prostitiution. Treliving is paying Marner's camp to f*** him. They're gonna bend him over like Marcellus Wallus in Pulp Fiction.

Treliving will tell everyone after how grateful he was Marner didn't take more.

• Haha
Reactions: rumman

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

l'm curious to see how he'd do on a different team. Unfortunately for Mitch (and us), he likely won't find another GM stupid enough to give him a raise.

Reactions: rumman

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Giving Nylander $11.5 is a lot less if an overpayment than giving Marner $12.5!

Are you implying that you don't cheer for the same team?
Remains to be seen. I’m having a hard time getting on board with the multiple run it backs and the overpayment of the overpay. Congrats to the Leafs for finally making me care less after 40+ years. That’s not easy but they’re doing it.
To each his own I guess.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Trade? Good one !!!

I’m with you. Anything then a clean break in the off season will be ugly next year and a major distraction.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Remains to be seen. I’m having a hard time getting on board with the multiple run it backs and the overpayment of the overpay. Congrats to the Leafs for finally making me care less after 40+ years. That’s not easy but they’re doing it.
To each his own I guess.

l hear ya. Get ready to watch Treliving overpay Tanev, so l pretty much expect him to bend over for Mitch next year. Many times l wish the Leafs had never drafted the useless POS.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If marner isnt willing to work a deal with the leafs his role needs to be reduced

Play him L3, PP2, PK2

His pt totals will falter, and he will see his value as a UFA shrink further.

Leafs need to be cut throat with marner. Hes played his games and ran this city for too long.

You extended 88 and 34 (should ha e rebuilt honestly imo after panthers losss but whatever)

91 should be a dishonary # after tavares is done next year, when he f***s off to either ottawa/buffalo/detroit or retires

Marner is the player that needs to be moved on from. Not a core piece moving forward for TML

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
If marner isnt willing to work a deal with the leafs his role needs to be reduced

Play him L3, PP2, PK2

His pt totals will falter, and he will see his value as a UFA shrink further.

Leafs need to be cut throat with marner. Hes played his games and ran this city for too long.

You extended 88 and 34 (should ha e rebuilt honestly imo after panthers losss but whatever)

91 should be a dishonary # after tavares is done next year, when he f***s off to either ottawa/buffalo/detroit or retires

Marner is the player that needs to be moved on from. Not a core piece moving forward for TML

Getting both Marner and Tavares off the books would be a godsend. l just hope Treliving doesn't get any ideas to extend him.

Reactions: hamzarocks

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m 85-15 he’s with the team next year, maybe 90.
He’s being traded, whether it’s before the season starts or by the deadline he’s going to be traded. I am certain of this…….

Well, there goes Logan Thompson, I guess that Vegas trade is out the window, I was really hoping on that one.
Plenty of players on Vegas I’d swap Marner for……..

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad