Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Tank played for $5M last season and won a Cup. We can’t afford him.

I have no idea what Roslovic’s market will be. His resume says he’s not a top-6 forward and he depends heavily on linemates. However, the longer he goes unsigned the more affordable he gets (presumably).

Sprong is intriguing because of his offensive tools, but there’s a clear reason why he’s been a fourth liner and why he’ll be the cheapest of the three — he is a disaster in the defensive zone. Every team that signs him tries him on a scoring line and tries to fix him, and so far every team has failed and has relegated him to bottom-6 status and around 7-11 minutes of IT per game.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Maybe unfavorable, but if NJ doesnt sign him, would you be opposed to signing him to like a 1x1 deal to play in the top 6?

Don't see why we do this considering his only hope is playing with Kucherov and that negates what we just signed our 9M player for...

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Maybe unfavorable, but if NJ doesnt sign him, would you be opposed to signing him to like a 1x1 deal to play in the top 6?

Pass. He might be one of the best players in the world who isnt playing in the NHL but this guy has had like 7 years to sign a deal with us and still hasn't. It doesn't sound like there's a lot of mutual interest from his side

Last edited:

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Stammer didn't do anything, but his agent surely did. There's no chance he was signing for 4-5 when he clearly asked Nashville for at least 8. You're going to tell me that makes any sense? He has taken prior discounts, sure, but literally as much as half? Tell me that's more logical to believe.
Link? Otherwise, stop your BS defamation garbage. Nashville offered $8 mill, LOLOLOL.

GMAFB. You shouldn't be allowed to post that crap. SMDH

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Link? Otherwise, stop your BS defamation garbage. Nashville offered $8 mill, LOLOLOL.

GMAFB. You shouldn't be allowed to post that crap. SMDH

You do realize you're doing the exact same thing right? You're claiming JBB is lying about not being close enough to work out a deal. So, stop being a hypocrite, put your binkie back in, and go take a nap.

If you believe:

1. We wanted to keep Stammer at a reasonable price

and

2. We were only 1-2 million apart, and he left anyways to sign for double the amount

Then your brain has overheated. Not much else I can say.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Pittsburgh seems like they're going into a retool. Rikard Rakell and Bryan Rust are right-handed forwards.

They'd theoretically get Sheary back, so the cost would be pretty much covered.

It'd probably end up being Sheary + picks for Rakell.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Hedman is a defenseman so I suspect he is viewed differently than Stamkos, Palat or Killorn.

A study from 2014 found that:

Forwards perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 32 years old.
Forwards improve more quickly than they decline and typically begin "a significant decline in their early 30s".

D-men perform within 90 per cent of their peak from 24 to 34 years old. They improve and decline more slowly than forwards and do so very symmetrically.

Goalies on the other hand, performance varies little by age. At every age between 20 and 37, their save percentage is between 90 per cent and a tiny fraction over 91 per cent.
Over the last ten years there have been amazing advancements in all things related to this study from medicine to supplements, etc

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
So this is where we sit now?

Guentzel - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - Cirelli - XXXXX
Essy - Paul - Sheary
Chaffee - Glen - Girgensons

Line 1 and 4 are fine. Line 2 and 3 are problems. I don't see much offense from either. 2 would be in way better shape if Cirelli produced more offense.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Henriqué just signed 3 x 2 with Edmonton. He would have solved our top 6center and bottom 6 center problems. He can play 2nd or 3rd line no issues. We spend two million on sheary and smart gm pay good players the extra million.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
So this is where we sit now?

Guentzel - Point - Kucherov
Hagel - Cirelli - XXXXX
Essy - Paul - Sheary
Chaffee - Glen - Girgensons

Line 1 and 4 are fine. Line 2 and 3 are problems. I don't see much offense from either. 2 would be in way better shape if Cirelli produced more offense.
It's a mess. JBB is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic at this point. He wasted too many assets previously.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Not sure we could afford Tarasenko or Roslovic. Assuming Moser takes $3 million, you are looking at Tyler Johnson, James van Riemsdyk, Victor Olofsson type players.

If they move Sheary, it can be done. Moser between 2.5-3, Lilleberg at 870k, and Goncalves at 775k would leave the team around 4.5. Tarasenko might be difficult, but Roslovic or Sprong+a player like Tyler Johnson, JVR or Olofsson could be doable.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
Tank played for $5M last season and won a Cuo. We can’t afford him.

You do realize you're doing the exact same thing right? You're claiming JBB is lying about not being close enough to work out a deal. So, stop being a hypocrite, put your binkie back in, and go take a nap.

If you believe:

1. We wanted to keep Stammer at a reasonable price

and

2. We were only 1-2 million apart, and he left anyways to sign for double the amount

Then your brain has overheated. Not much else I can say.
JBB made an offer. An offer on the table that he thought was fair, the annual was low (which we needed to sign Guentzel) but the term was the full 8 (longest possible). The term would have took him to 42. IF the guy was just interested in security, his families living environment and retiring with TB that contract gave it to him. You may see low ball, I see 8 years.

He took the money, no big deal. He is no different than the others. If he truly wanted to be the "Face" of the franchise the path was on the table.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Maroon and Perry are soft as baby shit.

Watson and Jeannot can't play hockey.

Serg is a defensive liability and doesn't have the mean streak he did during our Cup run.

Bogo is a borderline 3rd pairing. Colton is whatever.

We were 7th in the league in hits this season without most of those guys. We got smoked in the first round. It's not like we went multiple rounds and got worn down. We had a roster who sucked defensively and had no depth.

You still need skill to get into the playoffs. And we're tough enough with Cernak, Eyssimont, Paul, McD, Hagel, Cirelli. Loading up on guys who are "tough" in spite of skill would be a detriment.
You've entirely missed the point, not to mention your assessment of some of those guys is just absurd . You don't want your best players bearing the brunt of the rough stuff night in and night out. Every team in the NHL has guys who try hard and don't shy away, so your list of players proving our "toughness" is completely meaningless and comes nowhere close to being formidable compared to other competitive teams.

I'd argue a major reason we lost in the first round is BECAUSE we lacked that secondary toughness/physicality. Perry and Colton were major contributors in those moments and the exact type of players you need to score goals when they're hard to come by. Maroon's game tailed off a bit but he was still effective down low, and calling him soft is laughable. But , not to be outdone by your ridiculous comment about Sergachev. Losing all of the character and physicality was a pretty glaring difference, not sure how anyone could try to debate that.

Look at the way contenders build their teams to go deep, and tell me with a straight face that this team is built to compete with that. Small, soft teams don't win. Simple as that. Girgensons is a step in the right direction but we're not there yet.

Edit- Don't try to tell me "we lost in the first round WITH those players" because we were easily the better team against Toronto and lost due to abnormally bad goaltending and a couple of choke jobs for the ages.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad