Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Meanwhile their playoff record has been static the whole time. Nice try Mr. Transparent. Come clean.. what exactly is your vested interest?
Toronto Maple Leafs.

For a guy who has posted several times over several months telling others to ignore me, I do find it amusing, you may be my most consistent responder over that time period. lol!

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Question.

Let’s say MM is back next season

Does that mean he is really not as good as some here might think, since teams are not offering much for him?

No, it does not. And anyone who tells you differently is objectively incorrect.

One could say that it's possible that other teams didn't value him in that manner. But at the end of the day, Mitch Marner controls where he plays next year. Not Treliving. Not other teams who might have interest. The only way one could make a statement or judgement like this would be to understand the inner machinations of how the team and player approached the offseason, which we likely never will short of Marner being traded.

Him being here next year means one of three possible things:
1) We never asked because we never actually wanted to move him.
2) Mitch communicated to us that he is unwilling to waive and thus we didn't explore it further.
3) Mitch was willing to move and we couldn't find a deal.

Mitch being present on the team next year doesn't in any way tell us which of three reasons it was.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Question.

Let’s say MM is back next season

Does that mean he is really not as good as some here might think, since teams are not offering much for him?
Or maybe he is excercising his right to stay and there is nothing Mgmt can do about it. Which is more than likely a good thing because why would anyone have faith this mgmt would make the correct decision, especially since quite a few if not the majority want to fire Shanny as well.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
No, it does not. And anyone who tells you differently is objectively incorrect.

One could say that it's possible that other teams didn't value him in that manner. But at the end of the day, Mitch Marner controls where he plays next year. Not Treliving. Not other teams who might have interest. The only way one could make a definitive statement like this would be to understand the inner machinations of how the team and player approached the offseason.

Him being here next year means one of three possible things:
1) We never asked because we never actually wanted to move him.
2) Mitch communicated to us that he is unwilling to waive and we didn't explore it further.
3) Mitch was willing to move and we couldn't find a deal.

Mitch being present on the team next year doesn't in any way tell us which of three reasons it was.

1. NO WAY, or else they would just come out and say, he is untouchable.
2. NO WAY, bc if thats the case, they(MGT and MM's camp) will say MM is not waiving but that doesn't seem to be the case
3. Very likely.

As still today, MGT had never comes out and say 'we are working to extend MM or we get going to get a deal done similar to what they said last summer about AM and Willie.

Or maybe he is excercising his right to stay and there is nothing Mgmt can do about it. Which is more than likely a good thing because why would anyone have faith this mgmt would make the correct decision, especially since quite a few if not the majority want to fire Shanny as well.
But why would he wants to stay?

The team clearly wants to move on from him or else they will be working on an extension instead of asking him to waive.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
2. NO WAY, bc if thats the case, they(MGT and MM's camp) will say MM is not waiving but that doesn't seem to be the case
3. Very likely.

As still today, MGT had never comes out and say 'we are working to extend MM or we get going to get a deal done similar to what they said last summer about AM and Willie.

One could infer that their preference is to move the player based on some of the evidence you mention, but we don't actually know that definitively. As for you dismissing the 2nd possibility - that's actually by far the most likely of the 3, so you're way off and we have seen several insiders reporting conversations with Marner's camp indicating he has no intention of being anywhere other than Toronto next year. We also have several insiders indicating an extension offer IS being prepared.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
3. Very likely.

But why would he wants to stay?

The team clearly wants to move on from him or else they will be working on an extension instead of asking him to waive.
He’s a fan of the ‘best” TEAM much like JT and many other players who wish they were Leafs but really can’t state that since other teams are paying them.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One could infer that their preference is to move the player, but we don't actually know that definitively. As for you dismissing the 2nd possibility - that's actually by far the most likely of the 3, so you're way off and we have seen many insiders reporting conversations with Marner's agent indicating he has no intention of being anywhere other than Toronto next year.
Had MGT said they are working on a deal with MM?

That's my point.

MGT also had not said MM is not waiving either.

Which would lead one to conclude, a trade is an option.

B/c if MM just stand firm with I ain't waiving then the case is closed. MGT will say MM is not waiving and people(medias) should stop the rumors.

He’s a fan of the ‘best” TEAM much like JT and many other players who wish they were Leafs but really can’t state that since other teams are paying them.
Leafs is really far from the "best" team in the League.

I would say it is a lot of players favorite team.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

That's my point.

B/c if MM just stand firm with I ain't waiving then the case is closed. MGT will say MM is not waiving and people(medias) should stop the rumors.
Has mgmt of any team ever said we want to trade player x but he won’t wave? Oh, other than us (Sundin). Lol

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

That's my point.

That's a huge assumption you're making and likely a wrong one - I think it's highly unlikely if management asks Marner to waive and he says no that management ever comments on it publicly.

You asked the question. I gave you the only correct answer in my first reply.
The answer is no. You cannot directly conclude that Marner being on this team next year means he's not valued around the league in the way we would think.

You can conclude that 1 of 3 potential situations led to it. Without the rest of the context, reporting/evidence to determine which, that's all you have.

Reactions: Leaf Fans

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

That's my point.

I guess if you want to get caught up in a more appropriate adjective, you are correct. To me in this case best / favourite mean the same thing.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That's a huge assumption you're making and likely a wrong one - I think it's highly unlikely if management asks Marner to waive and he says no that management ever comments on it publicly.

You asked the question. I gave you the only correct answer in my first reply.
The answer is no. You cannot directly conclude that Marner being on this team next year means he's not valued around the league in the way we would think.

You can conclude that 1 of 3 potential situations led to it. Without the rest of the context, reporting/evidence to determine which, that's all you have.
I like this discussions with you bc it is civil.

Like I said, I believe MM is willing to move but it will be difficult, not just the returning package but also agreeing to waive to go to the other team and having an extension deal done.

But to say that MM refuse to waive for any teams is just wrong, as there is no indication from MGT that MM is staying.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
They may want to explore a trade to see what they could get but If Mitch has told him he is staying there is no need to even explore a trade. Unlike a few posters here I believe they would not be willing to take anything just to get rid of him.
So you agree that MGT wants to trade MM to improve the team.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I like this discussions with you bc it is civil.

Like I said, I believe MM is willing to move but it will be difficult, not just the returning package but also agreeing to waive to go to the other team and having an extension deal done.

But to say that MM refuse to waive for any teams is just wrong, as there is no indication from MGT that MM is staying.
I’d think, Berube saying he looks forward to coaching him is a pretty good indication.

Reactions: Evilhomer

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I am just stating what Babs said years ago as the New Coach of the Leafs on draft day when a reporter asked him about Phil.
Oh I understand, and it’s just another example of why we shouldn’t look for confirmation of anything we are all just guessing. Well unless one or more of us is in Leafs mgmt. lol!

Edit to add:
Reminds me of a guy I once worked with. He played for the argos. The guy said Russ Jackson stated he was a great Canadian had a great set of hands. The next game he was traded to Winnipeg. Lmao!

Last edited:

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Perhaps the trade solution for Marner will need to involve expiring contracts as the main component. For example:

Theodore UFA + Salary to Balance Contracts

for

Marner UFA (If necessary salary retention to Balance contracts)

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The way I see things , management realizes Marner hasn't been playing to his potential and with the right psychological approach. He just turned 27. They just fired Keefe who had a country club like atmosphere where the core 4 ran the team. I think they want to see if Marner can transform his game for his new coach. Give him a new slate and see if he can put it all together. Maybe he works out harder and starts going into corners and develops a mean side to him. Not likely but if any coach would inspire a player do so it would be Berube.

Marner could start taking his off seasons seriously and start to change his whole psychological approach. Like Yzerman did half way through his career. Imagine a grittier defensively sound Marner that PKs and puts up 100 points and has a decent playoffs? I think that's what management is hoping for this season and then you throw the bank at him. Tavares will be gone too.

I really want to see if Berube can change Marner.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If they announce today that Marner has stated that he will not waive his NTC, where will all the free off-season publicity come from?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad