Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Many don’t lol. One had him gone by June 28th, a few more have him gone tomorrow….
Berube just said he looks forward to coaching him

I'd take him on a personal rickshaw from Halifax to the closest airport, free of charge if it meant he was off the team.
Is that after you don't watch the Leafs as you have said in the past?

Reactions: Confucius

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That is our problem, spinning our tires just go with the core, especially now since they are at peak maturity. They went from 31st to 14th to 7th as teenagers. We changed coaches and nothing improved we change coaches again these guys should be much better than they were at 21. Play out the string with them. Break them up they move on and win somewhere else, meanwhile we will always ask for change.
Meanwhile their playoff record has been static the whole time. Nice try Mr. Transparent. Come clean.. what exactly is your vested interest?

Reactions: TimeZone

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
“He’s a character guy, he’s a great guy, I’m looking forward to coaching him” Berube today.

Okay back to the bottom of the barrel character assassination that bears no relationship to reality whatsoever, but lives in your jaded fictions.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What answer were you expecting these are media answers.
He he meant it, to listen. I just laugh, his teammates rave about his character, coaches around the league praise his game unsolicited, most analysts say he’s a hard working, character guy (albeit sensitive), now we have hard ass Berube mirroring what we’ve heard for years and you guys just dismiss it all as optics, because it never fits the fiction you’ve created here.

Can we afford his ask? Probably not. Do we need to mix up the group? Makes logical sense based on results. Given Marner is next in line for a contract, is he the one you move? Again, smart commentators here all agree, for sure it’s a solid point of view. Is all the other stuff we read here absolute pathetic garbage, circle jerk nonsense? You betcha, and 10 other mental midgets agreeing doesn’t change it.

And around they go again….

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
“He’s a character guy, he’s a great guy, I’m looking forward to coaching him” Berube today.

Okay back to the bottom of the barrel character assassination that bears no relationship to reality whatsoever, but lives in your jaded fictions.

Berube's definition of "character" is very different than mine.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
As much as many of us wanted a coaching change I’m not so sure it will do much. This core has had multiple coaches and it hasn’t made a difference . They seriously under perform every dam year in the playoffs
No worries Marner fails in the playoffs again the 2-week playoff vacation crew will probably just blame the coach again.

Absolutely nobody is going to be eager to trade a premium for this joker and pay him 12.75Mx 8 years when Reinhart will get less than Barkov (who also makes less than Mitch's current overpay)
Everybody's going to make less than Marner's overpay. He's probably set to make more than Mackinnon by this time next year.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Reality is, Berube has no real idea what Marner is like in the dressing room or on the ice. Until he has to coach him and get him to play the way he wants him to. Until they are under fire and in the trenches together all the press snippets mean nothing

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I don’t what QO was but $2M sounds high given his previous contract of $700k and low scoring the previous season. It was definitely a strange sequence of events by Dubas that benefited Pittsburgh and not the Leafs. Could they have had an understanding beforehand that it would go that way ?

His previous contract was $2M.

1000001812.jpg

He re-signed in Pittsburgh for $700k.

Which means.Pittsburgh got their player for 1/3 his QO. All because Dubas made this trade. No wonder Pittsburgh was so willing to hire him.

Dubas was already working for them.

Edit: the only way they could have had an understanding in place first was if Rodrigues agreed to take a 66.67% pay cut first, which I doubt.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Question.

Let’s say MM is back next season

Does that mean he is really not as good as some here might think, since teams are not offering much for him?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Question.

Does that mean he is really not as good as some here might think, since teams are not offering much for him?
Yes and yes. It does sound like he is staying and it's because teams are not offering much.

Look at it objectively...

If you are a GM, what would YOU give up for Mitch Marner? Yes, he will get you 90 points in the regular season, but he's EXPENSIVE and he disappears in the playoffs. So, unless you are a GM who is ONLY trying to make the playoffs, are you really going to trade for him when you can get him for free in a year?

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Question.

That is exactly what it means. 1000%

MacKinnon won the Hart and the Lindsey and McDavid the Conn Smythe and they are also named to the fist and second All-Star teams this year alone and both making $12.5 and 12.6 mil AAV.

Here are the scoring leaders in 2023-24 with Kucherov the best winger in the game making $9.5 mil

1719717441206.png

Marner has never even reached 100 points in a season.

Who the hell in their bloody right mind is going to pay Mitch invisible playoff ghost Marner +$12 mil ???

That is only part I of the problem, never mind a stubborn Marner refusing to waive his NMC and the opposition also putting together a trade package Leafs would accept in order for his new team to OVERPAY him.

I firmly believer the Leafs management desire to move on from him is HIGH but the obstacles are much HIGHER still. IMO

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Question.

Here is a great article and recent discussion that discusses exactly this point.

1719718323465.png

Ahead of the NHL Draft, MLHS’ Anthony Petrielli joined Sportsnet Fan 590 to discuss the various Mitch Marner trade and extension rumours, the likelihood of a Marner trade, and the Maple Leafs’ cap flexibility and biggest needs this offseason.

On how he would handicap the likelihood of a Marner trade coming to fruition:

If you were to boil it down, I would ultimately say no. I think that is why we are hearing discussions about extensions. It has been floated in and out over the past month.

They are clearly trying to take trade offers. Brad Treliving could’ve squashed the conversation at any point. He elected not to. He is either some sort of poker player, or he is just being honest about the situation.

Last year, with William Nylander, he was honest. It was strictly, “We want him back.” He left no room for ambiguity. He was crystal clear. He has not said that at any point when it comes to Marner. He has said he is a really good player and a superstar at a number of times. At no point has he sat there and explicitly said, “We want him back. We want to sign him. He is going to be a Maple Leaf next year.” That has not happened.

The problem is that trading him is extremely complicated. Right now, the reputation in the league and with the Leafs is not the best. That is kind of sullying his value. That is why we constantly see Brad Treliving coming out and saying, “He is a star.” He is a star. He has been a top-10 scorer, by and large, for the last five years. It is not a fluke at this point. He is a high-end producer. There are a ton of teams who are not even sniffing the playoffs and would love a player like that to get them to the playoffs.

He is trying to find value that matches it. That is going to be hard, and then you get the NMC, and then you get the question of the extension. There are so many factors working against agreeing to a trade and getting good value in a trade. That trends more to the point of bringing him back under a new coach, improving the defense, and seeing how it goes again.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tre to Berube before he faces the reporters: "whatever happens, don't say anything about Mitch that could possibly reduce his trade value".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad