Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I think the hatred for Marner is way overblown, but I agree that pointing to a sequence in 2017 where he blocked a couple of shots is kind of a stretch.
A stretch for what? This is just an example outlining how he used to play under a different coach. There is no reason he can’t adjust his game.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
You're holding Ferris' vague statement up as a valid source for your entire argument in one breath, and then calling him a straight up liar in the next. Can't have it both ways.

It’s clear the agent who is very vocal and made negative comments about the negotiations with MLSE and is doing damage control. It’s not difficult to understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: myleafs

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I do wonder if the July 1st signing bonus is delaying a potential trade.

If it's not, and he's not traded by July 2, I think he's unlikely to be moved. Now is the time to move guys, before teams lock in their capspace in free agency. Hard to picture an 11M player being traded in August.

Reactions: weems and Petrus

myleafs

May 25, 2021
When I remove Marner from the lineup and then build a team, I end up at the conclusion that this team would be unstoppable if I can now get my hands on a Marner to top it off.

He stay.
So, not a top end Dman or goalie? And if you were gonna spend 12 milly on another foward, you wouldn't want to get a different type of forward kind of like Tkachuk went for Huberdeau? Aw screw it, pay Manrner whatever he wants and just run it back for another 8 years....what could go wrong?

Reactions: ToneDog

myleafs

May 25, 2021
So we're all agreed: he'll waive/won't waive, get traded/not get traded, re-sign/leave for nothing.
I don't agree....do I win? :sarcasm:

It’s so true, there is always going to be a scapegoat, and this year it is Mitch. Admittedly, if he carried himself better and didn’t refer to be treated as a god-like figure things may not be so bad for him. But I think most of you forget how talented he is and how hard it is to find players like him.

he had a shit playoffs, no doubt, but the major change needs to be Tavares. Some say he will be willing to sign cheap and that makes things tenable. Not sure I agree. Why aren’t folks more focused on him? He is the captain, produces much less, and adds nothing in terms of pk.

I still say the biggest change for this team has already been made with Berube, but I understand that some don’t buy it. Changing the way the team plays is going to make the biggest difference imo. Then focusing on D.

Berube will get the most out of him, that’s what good coaches do. He’s a 100pt player when fully healthy that can play all situations.

Most of us will remember this, no reason he can’t do this again.

Interesting use of the word scapegoat....just like Marner said.....coincidence? I think not.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
That’s an assumption on your part, but I get it. I have a different one, and it’s that Keefe and the coaching staff have played a big part in the player we have seen recently. He was different under Babcock. That’s not a feather in the cap for Babcock, but goes to show you that playing style is dictated by coaching.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I get the backlash. But I haven’t seen anything that improves our team in terms of trade. They are namely just dreams. Marner’s value now is low, and he won’t sign long term because of it, and we won’t get back the value we expect in a trade. It just won’t happen. If he doesn’t change under Berube they will let him walk. It’s too difficult to pull off iMo. He is more than capable of improving. He is not the ‘addition by subtraction’ type some are making him out to be. That is just emotional overreaction.
You really haven't been watching have you?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It’s so true, there is always going to be a scapegoat, and this year it is Mitch. Admittedly, if he carried himself better and didn’t refer to be treated as a god-like figure things may not be so bad for him. But I think most of you forget how talented he is and how hard it is to find players like him.

he had a shit playoffs, no doubt, but the major change needs to be Tavares. Some say he will be willing to sign cheap and that makes things tenable. Not sure I agree. Why aren’t folks more focused on him? He is the captain, produces much less, and adds nothing in terms of pk.

I still say the biggest change for this team has already been made with Berube, but I understand that some don’t buy it. Changing the way the team plays is going to make the biggest difference imo. Then focusing on D.

Berube will get the most out of him, that’s what good coaches do. He’s a 100pt player when fully healthy that can play all situations.

Most of us will remember this, no reason he can’t do this again.

As much as many of us wanted a coaching change I’m not so sure it will do much. This core has had multiple coaches and it hasn’t made a difference . They seriously under perform every dam year in the playoffs

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Paying half the cap to four forwards is the "scapegoat". Matthews and Nylander were never going anywhere. Marner and Tavares end up taking the brunt.

If Marner ends up pulling a muskoka maneuver then the anger was completely justified.

Reactions: arso40

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As much as many of us wanted a coaching change I’m not so sure it will do much. This core has had multiple coaches and it hasn’t made a difference . They seriously under perform every dam year in the playoffs
People kept saying Berube will change how they play are just holding on for last hope.
I highly doubt Keefe told them to not compete or block shots or stay on the outside….
The goal is not win the cup with the Core 5 but somehow that’s become the goal for a lot of fans.

The Core had won ONE playoffs series in 6 years with arguably the most stacked Leafs team in the salary cap era.

Our core beside Reilly are really a whole bunch of Betas pretending to be Alphas.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I still wonder what he gets in a trade. I know he needs a fair extension, fair as in about what he makes now, and the Leafs taxed, but look at a few of the recent trades.

Sergachev is a big, left-shooting 2-3 PPQB who has good tools - size, skating and shot but lacks a little in the IQ department. He just missed huge time with a knee injury and is overpaid by about 2 mil for six more years. He was on Tampa who everyone and their mom knows is facing cap issues and a closing window.

He returned: A 24 year old RFA 4-5D, a B+ tier center prospect who's 20 years old and 6'4 205, a 2nd and a 7th.

PLD was a mistake from day one who's clearly a locker room cancer and has severe motivation issues, he also makes way too much for way too long. They got back a declining cup-winning goalie who makes much less for much less.

Mitch is what he is in the playoffs - but he's also a 3-time 90 point guy who would have got it again this year if he didn't get injured. Those don't go on trees, and he can probably be insulated by a strong leadership group that isn't the cabana club we have going. People still pay for talent.

I still want money, a very good young D, a very good G/F prospect and a mid round pick, bump up more to retain. That, or a 1-for-1 hockey trade for a guy with similar upside (Necas? Boldy? Kyrou? Zegras? Actually scratch Zegras, Mitch struggles because he's a p***y and Zegras is worse but if they threw in a sweetner named Zellweger...)

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Wasn't Rodrigues' qualifying offer over $2M?

Which is why Dubas didn't qualify him. Not sure why Dubas traded for Rodrigues to begin with though. It's shit like this that really shows just how incompetent Dubas was at his job.

Ignoring everything that led up to the Kapanen trade, the fact of the matter is that Dubas traded for a player he didn't even qualify, and then let return to THE EXACT SAME TEAM he acquired him from for no return whatsoever, and on only a one million dollar contract instead of his two million dollar qualifying offer.

Am I the only one who realizes Dubas was responsible for Pittsburgh getting their player half price because of Dubas making this trade?
I don’t what QO was but $2M sounds high given his previous contract of $700k and low scoring the previous season. It was definitely a strange sequence of events by Dubas that benefited Pittsburgh and not the Leafs. Could they have had an understanding beforehand that it would go that way ?

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Absolutely nobody is going to be eager to trade a premium for this joker and pay him 12.75Mx 8 years when Reinhart will get less than Barkov (who also makes less than Mitch's current overpay)

Reactions: Trapper and ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2