Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
At the end of the year they’re anywhere from the 10-16th best team. That’s the absolute worst place to be.
Tbh. I’ve learned over the years that a lot of fans that are happy with that. Some don’t even care about the post season. As long as their fav player is having fun and their team is fun to watch they don’t care. I find it mind boggling but there is two distinctly different types of fans. I bet it’s the same with other teams it’s just more obvious with our huge fan base.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He's top 25 in PPG for active players...
He scored 26 goals this season. And no showed for the playoffs.

1719438633492.png

He's 77th best in my books.

Rantanen and Panarin paid reasonably.

Marner is grossly overpaid vs these comparables.

Marner is 8.5 AAV, max 9.5

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
If he stays as a lame duck next year he'll be put thru the wringer, and frankly, it'll look good on him.
Are we going to be the next Islander fans now?

I feel like a lot of people think it's ridiculous Islander fans boo Tavares everytime he touches the puck there ... but still do after all these years.

If there's no trade now that's what will most likely happen when he chooses to go else where after seasons end.

Im fine with Marner going like I've said before, and I do think we need change, but it won't be an easy trade to make.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They'll all turn into Judas when he's traded
Yup, they’ll rewrite history……..

View attachment 887696

meaningless change.

Marner must be traded or this is another version of RUNNING IT BACK.
Lipstick on a pig indeed……..

Perhaps MLSE should look to replace lost playoff revenue by launching an exclusive line of Toronto Maple Leaf golf apparel. They have lots of models/Gods to style it for them.

Perhaps sell tickets to the Annual 1st Round Maple Leafs Playoff Elimination Open, hosted by your loser Leafs. It’s the closest any of them will get to a Cup of any kind.

#disgusted
Priceless and appropriate……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
"Run it back" crowd looking good. Unfortunately the "change the core" group are not delusional and know how the play will end next April and it will be even uglier for Tre who got a hall pass this year. Oh yeah and the moron who's not in it to sell jersey's might want to go into hiding once they hit the Golf course, his expertise.
Exactly what will happen if one if the core isn’t moved, and I mean Marner this time……

Reactions: ToneDog

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I loved him until this.

View attachment 887699

He's top 15 in Fortnite.

He's not top 100 for post season play.

Maybe top 15 in pay. Which he never earned.

Mitch will do well in NJ. Chicago maybe ?

He's not due for a raise.
Brother this graphic is so bad it's actually comedic gold 🤣

Comedy central logo and the arrow to ensure we understand the context is fantastic. 10/10 no notes

Keep it up man, genuinely funny

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I guess we should be kissing Marner's ass or something? Let's worship him because in his own words he's a "god" in this town, right?
Why would we do that?
Also those aren't his own words. He has never claimed be be one. Though, he did say that they are treated like Gods by fans in Toronto - not that he is one.
He is under contract. The team should treat him like a player. No need to punish him or kiss his ass. The team gave him the power over his movement. If they find a trade, they should approach him reasonably.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I feel like a lot of people think it's ridiculous Islander fans boo Tavares everytime he touches the puck there ... but still do after all these years.

If there's no trade now that's what will most likely happen when he chooses to go else where after seasons end.

Im fine with Marner going like I've said before, and I do think we need change, but it won't be an easy trade to make.
Personally, I don't boo people, but I know there are some who do.

I wonder if some of the posters who complained (a few still do) about Isles fans booing Tavares will boo Marner if he does the same thing.

Reactions: Burnie97

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
And he's right up there in expected Selke, Art Ross and Conn Smythe trophies as well. :)

Do you know what PPG means?

This post makes absolutely no sense.

He scored 26 goals this season. And no showed for the playoffs.

View attachment 887706

He's 77th best in my books.

Rantanen and Panarin paid reasonably.

Marner is grossly overpaid vs these comparables.

Marner is 8.5 AAV, max 9.5

Goals are all that matters?

They messed up the Conn Smythe this year, McDavid was the 7th best player.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Pettersson and Marner are very comparable.

Regular season assist darlings.

If given the choice, I'd take Pettersson.

Marner hasn't lived up to his contract, therefore he's due for a cut in pay.

Pettersson is a center AND a franchise player for the nucks. Offense runs through him he doesn't have a matthews helping him out ;)

I know he thinks he’s a God, but I’m not so sure, although he does have some dedicated disciples in this threat, that’s for damn sure……….

I want marner traded as much as the next guy but..... nobody is going to beat dubas and his dedicated disciples. its something I've never seen in my life that much i can tell ya LMAO :laugh:

Reactions: supermann_98

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Do you know what PPG means?

This post makes absolutely no sense.

PPG has nothing to do with my post and while it might not make sense to you, that's OK, don't worry about it.

I wonder what goes on in the heads of folks who are advocating having 4 forwards at 11+ AAV next season and think they are going to win the cup without a #1D, solid depth pieces and of course with a solid goalie

Like 8 years of pure garbage isn't evidence enough.... Yeesh................

:shakehead

It's weird. They keep telling anyone who dares to say anything negative about wonder boy that they "don't know what they're watching".

They messed up the Conn Smythe this year, McDavid was the 7th best player.

Holy smokes! If it wasn't clear before, it's clear now - you really haven't got a clue.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Can you imagine what would happen if all the 'pundits' said the same thing?

Everyone on all the talk shows, and all the twits, and all the sportswriters, and all the insiders, all agree that Marner should be traded to (this particular team) for (this particular return), or signed to $12.5x8, or let walk, or even fired into the sun.

OK, everyone agrees, now there's nothing to talk about until preseason - see you then.

The main reason they all have different opinions (and they are just opinions) is so they will have something to talk about, so they can generate clicks and looks and likes (and laughs), and thereby earn their paychecks.

Ever notice on that stupid 'the quiz' show that usually each person picks a different answer, and they all have points and usually video to back up their choice? Do you honestly think it isn't scripted?
BINGO!

It would be a lot easier if Marner realized his TRUE market value. But alas, it's a dick measuring contest....

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's weird. They keep telling anyone who dares to say anything negative about wonder boy that they "don't know what they're watching".

its quite baffling really. The absolute trash dubas strategy of having "front" heavy cap structure who continue to be a JOKE in the playoffs doesn't work.

For the "wonder boy" he fails too often and too spectacularly at important events and time.

Just look at the marner failures below.... just a few examples that pissed the F outta me....

Game 7 against habs - offensive zone turnover by marner when game was tied 0-0 (I can list many STUPID plays by marner in the habs series and no not just puck over the glass to give them 5 on 3 i.e. the obvious ones)

Game 6 against bolts in OT (first time around) - stupid pass AND then STUPID DEFENSE (again could list many STUPID plays by marner in the series including Game 7)

Game 2 against Florida Leafs had a 2-0 lead and then Marner being a complete buffoon (at 1:50 mark)

Marner was a f***ing GHOST in that series against Florida

Game 7 against Bruins this year (I could add others from the series where he was complete ASS)

And ofcourse Game 7 OT Marner being a complete ASS

How can we justify the current 11 AAV cap hit of marner with such egrigious plays forget about giving him a raise and locking him long term. JESUS!

People often forget that little things matter in the game and Marner more often than not is a COMPLETE JOKE! 11 AAV is too much for a player like that who continues to make glaring mistakes and at important times; and people are wanting that Leafs re-up this buffoon of a player for 12.5+ AAV on an 8 year term? HELL if that is not enough they effing want 4 forwards on the team with 11AAV+

I mean COME ON!!!

Its the Logo in the front that matters not the name on the back. This dubas philosophy needs to take a HIKE! Its NOT about the core 4 its about the TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! These people need to listen to Tre ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad