Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Hey its a little fun after having you guys declared Dubas Spezza Keefe Marner all gods for years now.

Cant we be happy that another terrible Shanny piece will be gone and the team is heading in the right redirection.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
God

Nobody can afford one. Usually a guilt ridden bday purchase by parents on credit

Nobody can afford one. Usually a guilt ridden bday purchase by parents on credit
that one went right over my head, forgot about Mitch's celestial standing...........

Reactions: Notsince67

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Hey its a little fun after having you guys declared Dubas Spezza Keefe Marner all gods for years now.

Cant we be happy that another terrible Shanny piece will be gone and the team is heading in the right redirection.
You guys? Quite the generalization there. Why don't you find me a kind quote I made about Dubas and Keefe?

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Well if Marner does stay we can expect a Nylander contract year level of play at least. They’ll give everything they have when playing for themselves.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Gtfo. Domi assisted on only 5 of Matthews goals all season but don't let that fact get in the way of a good story.
The Mathews / Domi / Bert line worked pretty good but Mathews was on a real heater that started way before that . In the last 19 games after Marner went down to injury he had 28 points , 15 of them goals but Domi only factored in on 6 of the points and Bert 9 on the score sheet . He also got an overtime goal , 1 pp goals and 2 empty net goals he wasn't on the ice with either of them . The whole Domi is a great replacement for Marner i think is getting a little overblown.
I'm a Domi fan and a fan of that line but i have a feeling that line was just rolling and will end up be not quite what everyone thinks it will. That said , still think Mathews can carry whoever just maybe not as great as he is with Marner .

Reactions: ACC1224 and egd27

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well if Marner does stay we can expect a Nylander contract year level of play at least. They’ll give everything they have when playing for themselves.

They do that almost every year. Keefe just let them free wheel out there and win games 5-3 or 6-5. It was always about that. Babcock was trying to get them to play right and their points totals were realistic. Go figure that one.

When people say the kids ran the show, that's part of it.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
The Mathews / Domi / Bert line worked pretty good but Mathews was on a real heater that started way before that . In the last 19 games after Marner went down to injury he had 28 points , 15 of them goals but Domi only factored in on 6 of the points and Bert 9 on the score sheet . He also got an overtime goal , 1 pp goals and 2 empty net goals he wasn't on the ice with either of them . The whole Domi is a great replacement for Marner i think is getting a little overblown.
I'm a Domi fan and a fan of that line but i have a feeling that line was just rolling and will end up be not quite what everyone thinks it will. That said , still think Mathews can carry whoever just maybe not as great as he is with Marner .
Decent argument. One better rooted than a cherry picked turd polish with the swipe of a 60min interval

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Gtfo. Domi assisted on only 5 of Matthews goals all season but don't let that fact get in the way of a good story.
Whats your argument to this?

Facts according to Natural Stat Trick:

Domi and Matthew played 206 mins of 5vs5 time together and they produced 23 goals.
Marner and Matthews played 720 mins of 5vs5 time together and produced 43 goals together.

According to this data:
  • Auston Matthews and Max Domi are approximately 67.49% more productive in terms of goal production than Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner.
  • In 1000 minutes, Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner would produce approximately 66.67 goals, while Auston Matthews and Max Domi would produce approximately 111.65 goals.

So... based on the ability to boost Matthews, does these stats mean that Marner is closer to a 3 million dollar player or is Domi closer to a >11 million dollar player?

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Letting him walk isn’t the end of the world, but sure would be nice to recoup something for him……..

Yeah, it would be nice to get something in return. Then again, if Mitch really wanted to win in his hometown, he'd put in the effort.

lf he walks, so be it. Out goes Mitch Marner, not Wayne Gretzky.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The whole point was to prove the fantasy that Marner boosts Matthews is not true. In fact. Matthews proved this year, that he produced even better without Marner.

Matthews went on two "heaters" both were without Marner:

Heater #1 Keefe split him and Marner up beginning 11/28 vs Florida:
Matthews stats: 12 games 14 goals, 5 assists and 19 points.

- the other late in the season (as you mentioned) when Marner went down with injury.
19 games 15 goals, 13 assists 28 points.

So total without Marner: 31 games, 29 goals, 18 assists, 47 points

Two heaters, both when Marner was removed from his line. Coincidence?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Whats your argument to this?

Facts according to Natural Stat Trick:

Domi and Matthew played 206 mins of 5vs5 time together and they produced 23 goals.
Marner and Matthews played 720 mins of 5vs5 time together and produced 43 goals together.

According to this data:
  • Auston Matthews and Max Domi are approximately 67.49% more productive in terms of goal production than Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner.
  • In 1000 minutes, Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner would produce approximately 66.67 goals, while Auston Matthews and Max Domi would produce approximately 111.65 goals.

So... based on the ability to boost Matthews, does these stats mean that Marner is closer to a 3 million dollar player or is Domi closer to a >11 million dollar player?
Give us all a list of the games where you see such things with Max and Auston

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, it would be nice to get something in return. Then again, if Mitch really wanted to win in his hometown, he'd put in the effort.

lf he walks, so be it. Out goes Mitch Marner, not Wayne Gretzky.
He could win us over by taking 9-10m to offset the previous overpay and take not take a NMC. limited only.

He could do that. He will not because the family charity has to eat.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They do that almost every year. Keefe just let them free wheel out there and win games 5-3 or 6-5. It was always about that. Babcock was trying to get them to play right and their points totals were realistic. Go figure that one.

When people say the kids ran the show, that's part of it.

This is why we allow less goals and shots than under Babcock despite being in a higher scoring era with worse goalies than Babcock ever had. Everyone knows that defensive geniuses like Babcock rely on having a forward floating at center ice waiting for the 10th stretch pass attempt of the period that inevitably goes for the 3rd consecutive icing that shift.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is why we allow less goals and shots than under Babcock despite being in a higher scoring era with worse goalies than Babcock ever had. Everyone knows that defensive geniuses like Babcock rely on having a forward floating at center ice waiting for the 10th stretch pass attempt of the period that inevitably goes for the 3rd consecutive icing that shift.

They were rookies man. Babs didnt like what they were doing and they ended up crying about it

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Give us all a list of the games where you see such things with Max and Auston

Lol how about you do some work and explain "your side" in detail? I don't even know what your arguing, not sure that you do either.

I've explained my side in detail, with statistics from natural stat trick, when you give me something logical to work with, I'll gladly respond with my argument.

I won't hold my breath though.

Reactions: myleafs and thewave

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Much was made of Mitch throwing his gloves after coming off the ice. Now put love him or hate him off to the side. Answer this, was that a reaction from someone who doesn’t care?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They were rookies man. Babs didnt like what they were doing and they ended up crying about it

But we had elite defensive guys like Hyman, Kadri, Brown, Komarov, we had a defense and G built by Mr “Build from the net out” himself.

Can you tell me specifically what it is that Babcock was trying to get them to do beyond just repeating “play the right way”? We looked pretty awful defensively with a one and done rush offense even when those darn kids weren’t on the ice.

Reactions: myleafs

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Lol how about you do some work and explain "your side" in detail? I don't even know what your arguing, not sure that you do either.

I've explained my side in detail, with statistics from natural stat trick, when you give me something logical to work with, I'll gladly respond with my argument.

I won't hold my breath though.
Scan the score log and point out the games where matthews and Domi combined for these points. Either a Matthews goal assisted by Domi or a Domi goal assisted by Matthews. It's pretty f***ing simple. Unitizing to a per 60 doesn't even work for a moron when combined with context. Point the crazy production out using the raw numbers. No need to be obtuse. It's as obvious as the extent if your statistical accumen.

Reactions: leafs in five

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
But we had elite defensive guys like Hyman, Kadri, Brown, Komarov, we had a defense and G built by Mr “Build from the net out” himself.

Can you tell me specifically what it is that Babcock was trying to get them to do beyond just repeating “play the right way”? We looked pretty awful defensively with a one and done rush offense even when those darn kids weren’t on the ice.

They were forming a new team and playing identity. It was a revamp of the terrible years that preceded. The team was half built for run and gun care of Wilson and half built for truculence care of Burke. Shanahan said he was going to develop winning culture. Lou was to put in the rules and cone of silence. The discipline. Marner and the gang revolted as Babs flew to Az.

The restyou know. Pander Keefe, dopey Dubas and NYC Shanahan

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The question is what ewas he caring about?

Ego?
Image?
Team?

My guess is bruised ego that Willy didn't like his Jr level idea.

Maybe you are correct but I tend to think somebody strayed from a plan.

Which brings me to Keefe, I have never seen a bunch of players discussing what they were going to do on crucial faceoffs, more than our guys. Seemed several times a game they were having huddles. Schoolyard stuff, I’d bet Keele had no idea what was planned. Lmao!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad