Player Discussion Mitch Marner

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Coach propping up players to counter the media narrative
Sure. Look I agree we need more. That said, no turnovers, tough matchup, PK, not like he isn't contributing at all, just not enough offensively. Big game for him tonight, Matthew finally scored after 8 pedestrian playoff games suddenly he's Mark Messier, it can change quick!

Reactions: Mr_Fun and ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You might be right as I'm certainly not an X's and O's person in the very least but i saw Mitch getting to late as the play developed. Like blowing his coverage was the wrong way to put it agreed now that I've watched it back as his man was the guy on the point. But if we are saying that at least he neutralized pastas line i say bs because either for 11m your scoring or you've got selke level reads and make that read quicker and get your stock in there. We can't have absolutely nothing from Mitch.
Yes, for 11m we expect a massive contribution, no question about that. And so far we haven't gotten it, no doubt about that either. We're only 2 games in and we're not down 2-0 so luckily he still has time to get it together. Tonight would be a good time to get started, we'll see.
Yes, 'scared' can have different meanings. I agree with your interpretation of it not that he's terrified like some are making it out to be.
He's 'hesitant' because he's not able to play freely because of his injury.

Hopefully we see a better player tonight.
It's sweet of you to give your hero the benefit of the doubt but the truth is, none of us can know what the problem is. He's played terrible at times in the past when perfectly healthy so it could be shambles of the brain, just like it was game 3 against Florida last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure. Look I agree we need more. That said, no turnovers, tough matchup, PK, not like he isn't contributing at all, just not enough offensively. Big game for him tonight, Matthew finally scored after 8 pedestrian playoff games suddenly he's Mark Messier, it can change quick!
That one made me chuckle. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: DarkKnight

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
  • Wow
Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Pressure building on Toronto Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner after quiet start to series | TSN

Article in The Sun now as well. Nice to see the local papers rally behind the team. Do we like Simmons now?

Are local papers supposed be cheerleaders, or report objectively?

Do we like Simmons now is a weird question due to the use of the word "we". Do you really expect everyone to feel the same way about Simmons?

Reactions: supermann_98

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Mitch no longer plays on the same line as Matthews. It will no longer be possible to use the "but Matthews" argument. My money says Matthews has found new life playing with linemates that embrace playoff style hockey.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Mitch no longer plays on the same line as Matthews. It will no longer be possible to use the "but Matthews" argument. My money says Matthews has found new life playing with linemates that embrace playoff style hockey.
Matthews always needed aggressive wingers to flank him, the problem was the guys we had never had the skill (outside of Hyman)

Reactions: socko

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
For the past 8 years weve been told Marner was easily the better player between Pasta and him, this was reiterated by @Dekes For Days only a few months ago.
Not sure why you're tagging me in posts to misrepresent past discussions. Also, I know you think you're being clever with timing, but ironically, what you actually did was go after Marner's underlying metrics in a Pastrnak vs. Marner comparison, when Pastrnak has worse underlying metrics in the 2 game sample you're using.

• Haha
Reactions: Notsince67 and IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure why you're tagging me in posts to misrepresent past discussions. Also, I know you think you're being clever with timing, but ironically, what you actually did was go after Marner's underlying metrics in a Pastrnak vs. Marner comparison, when Pastrnak has worse underlying metrics in the 2 game sample you're using.

The most comical part of this is you don't realize you keep inadvertently proving just how useless those stats are :laugh:

I guess Leafs nation just watches hockey wrong, because we all saw Pastrnak drastically outplay Marner through 2 games.

Reactions: supermann_98

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The sad thing about all of this is that we just want him to prove us wrong. I would be more than happy to eat crow on him after a huge playoff performance, but it just hasn't really happened, especially when we needed him most. Tonight is another opportunity though, hope for the best I guess.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The most comical part of this is you don't realize you keep inadvertently proving just how useless those stats are
No, the comical part is you thinking it proves that. Regardless, it was what the individual chose to point at.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The most comical part of this is you don't realize you keep inadvertently proving just how useless those stats are :laugh:

I guess Leafs nation just watches hockey wrong, because we all saw Pastrnak drastically outplay Marner through 2 games.
I don't think Pastrnak has been all that good. Great snipe on the goal, but he scores that in his sleep.

Reactions: Jojalu

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don't think Pastrnak has been all that good. Great snipe on the goal, but he scores that in his sleep.
He's been sleepy and not really involved.

Which has been great for the Leafs so far, but a concern given you know he's not going to stay quiet for the entire series - he's a Leafs killer who never seems overawed or intimidated by this time of year.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He's been sleepy and not really involved.

Which has been great for the Leafs so far, but a concern given you know he's not going to stay quiet for the entire series - he's a Leafs killer who never seems overawed or intimidated by this time of year.
100%. Is he being shut down or just not feeling it yet?

Reactions: Notsince67

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
100%. Is he being shut down or just not feeling it yet?
Think we get our answer tonight - really fascinated to see how Keefe handles line matching tonight; didn't personally think JT/Marner did a great job with that line. Wonder if he unleashes Matthews against them on home ice.

Reactions: ACC1224

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Mitch is maybe our best PK’er, and the straw that stirs the drink on the PP. points aren’t there yet, but they’ll come. He was red hot to start the lightning series last year, so it’s in there.

He’ll be fine. People need to chill with all the piling on the guy

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Mitch is maybe our best PK’er, and the straw that stirs the drink on the PP. points aren’t there yet, but they’ll come. He was red hot to start the lightning series last year, so it’s in there.

He’ll be fine. People need to chill with all the piling on the guy
Not going to happen.
At least it's evolved to discussing his play and not his teeth, dog, cottage, wife, father, etc.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'd rather trade him than give him an extension but I don't see the point of writing him off 2 games into the playoffs. People were ready to give up on this core entirely after Game 1 and thought we would be swept and now the attention is just on Marner.

He'll come through. He's near a PPG despite not being great in the playoffs so far.

People need to remember that the Atlantic has been the hardest division in the league since we drafted Matthews and Marner.

Most other elite teams get a free bye for the first week because their division is terrible. Those easy teams help build the confidence of the team before you face the elite teams later on.

We don't get that luxury. It's do or die right away.

Reactions: studebaker17

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Feeling a big Marner game tonight.

Think he checks himself into the series, especially with Willy likely not going again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad