Value of: Mitch Marner

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Why not keep Marner (the best player on the team) and sign Alzner as a free agent?
Myers and this year's 13th overall for Marner???

Theres only a short list of players I'd consider trading Marner for and Myers is not one. Think:

Provorov
Jones
Werenski
Lindholm
Ekblad

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Matthews, Nylanders, Marner, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Andersen are our core moving forward.

Any other player making over 2.5M is not safe. We have enough depth on the wings and defence coming in that we can start to integrate them in with our stars.

Sign all our guys, but if they make too much, they will become trade bait, specifically for a young top 4 dman.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Who would Leafs fans rather have going forward, Marner or Nylander? Sorry this doesn't apply to the thread but I'm curious as most fans are split.

I take Marner. I see both as future wingers with the same level of offensive production. I like Marner because he's already shown he can elevate his linemates, plus he has a higher compete level.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Matthews, Nylanders, Marner, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Andersen are our core moving forward.

Any other player making over 2.5M is not safe. We have enough depth on the wings and defence coming in that we can start to integrate them in with our stars.

Sign all our guys, but if they make too much, they will become trade bait, specifically for a young top 4 dman.

Leafs will not go anywhere with Rielly and Gardiner as their best two defencemen. Great skaters, but their hockey iq is lacking. One of Nylander or Marner will have to be traded to get a legit defencemen

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Why not keep Marner (the best player on the team) and sign Alzner as a free agent?
Myers and this year's 13th overall for Marner???

Marner is not the best player and the team, but you are right he won't be traded, and Alzner won't be signed.

None of the big three traded, it would be insane to trade a 19 year old rookie who just got 61 pts.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Who would Leafs fans rather have going forward, Marner or Nylander? Sorry this doesn't apply to the thread but I'm curious as most fans are split.

Since day one when Willie was drafted #8 which he easily could have gone in the top 5 at that time, I new he would be our main guy moving forard UNTIL Matthews came along. So many around HF were lifting Marner up on a pedestal when Willie was struggling last season and Marner was doing well but i never flinched for a second and new once Willie got out of Babs doghouse he would flourish, he is too talented not to.

Don't get me wrong, Marner is a incredible talent and he is right there with Willie talent wise but he needs to grow a little more, another 7-10 lbs of muscle and his game could go to the next level. He looked worn out by the end of the season even though he seems to have found his second wind overseas right now, but the big ice plays right into his game, as well.

In a perfect world we keep both Willie and Mitch, but if you are making me pick "right now" i would say we keep the guy who will end up playing centre in the NHL, Nylander.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs will not go anywhere with Rielly and Gardiner as their best two defencemen. Great skaters, but their hockey iq is lacking. One of Nylander or Marner will have to be traded to get a legit defencemen

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly Carlson

Or sign or draft, or put a package like Kapanen/Dermott/Brown together for a dman.

Plenty of options for the leafs, which don't include trading away a superstar player hahahhaha:laugh:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I really don't think you're a Leaf fan if you think Hanifan for Marner is fair trade. Marner has much more upside. Another thing everything else being equal, you would think Marner wouldn't't mind spending his career as a Leaf....everything else being equal. I doubt American Hanifan would feel as loyal to the Leafs, or Toronto.
And from a trade value wise. Why do the Leafs need Hanifan? Reilly and Gardiner play LHD, it's not area of real need of the Leafs, especially when Dermot is near NHL ready and maybe Neilson too.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
You have to overpay to get a good young dman.

Johansen for Jones
Hall for Larsson

Hanifin for Marner appears to be the right value. Werenski and the like are a pipe dream.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
Since day one when Willie was drafted #8 which he easily could have gone in the top 5 at that time, I new he would be our main guy moving forard UNTIL Matthews came along. So many around HF were lifting Marner up on a pedestal when Willie was struggling last season and Marner was doing well but i never flinched for a second and new once Willie got out of Babs doghouse he would flourish, he is too talented not to.

Don't get me wrong, Marner is a incredible talent and he is right there with Willie talent wise but he needs to grow a little more, another 7-10 lbs of muscle and his game could go to the next level. He looked worn out by the end of the season even though he seems to have found his second wind overseas right now, but the big ice plays right into his game, as well.

In a perfect world we keep both Willie and Mitch, but if you are making me pick "right now" i would say we keep the guy who will end up playing centre in the NHL, Nylander.

I was screaming at my TV when the canucks passed on nylander.

But going forward I would rather have marner, I'd say the only thing willie has on marner is his shot. Marner is a far more complete player in my eyes.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

What a dopey thing to say. Pittsburg is doing quite well with Schultz and a bunch of guys. Getting six competent Dman is more important than getting guys better than Reilly and Gardiner.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Toronto is a world class city, combine that with a contending team and i do not see guys wanting to leave just because they are American as winning is infectious and every pro athlete has a burning desire to win and succeed (besides Shane Doan lol)
I really don't think you're a Leaf fan if you think Hanifan for Marner is fair trade. Marner has much more upside. Another thing everything else being equal, you would think Marner wouldn't't mind spending his career as a Leaf....everything else being equal. I doubt American Hanifan would feel as loyal to the Leafs, or Toronto.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
You have to overpay to get a good young dman.

Johansen for Jones
Hall for Larsson

Hanifin for Marner appears to be the right value. Werenski and the like are a pipe dream.

I'd argue Jones was/is the more valuabe player in that deal.. Johansen was struggling hard when that deal was made.

Hall as well has been struggling for a few years now. He's not the ppg guy anymore.

Also Hamilton was dealt for a few picks and hes a franchise D at this point.

If Toronto wanted Hanifin we would have drafted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad