Mitch Marner Vs Brady Tkachuk for the future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which player do you take for the future?

• Neutral fan take Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 94 48.5%
  • Neutral fan take Mitch Marner

Votes: 44 22.7%
  • Ottawa fan take Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 24 12.4%
  • Ottawa fan take Mitch Marner

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Toronto fan take Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Toronto fan take Mitch Marner

Votes: 19 9.8%

• Total voters

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Tkachuk for me. Brady is younger, signed to a decent contract, and I think his play style is more effective over the course of a playoff run.

Marner regularly disappears in the playoffs

If you had to choose, which would you say is a paper tiger?

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I think there’s a large number of people who just don’t have interest in Mitch Marner. Good player when it’s meaningless, but absolutely chokes under the slight bit of pressure. Dad who gets involved and thinks he’s way better than he is.

There is a reason nobody wanted to trade for him this offseason.

The correct answer to this poll is Brady Tkachuk

Reactions: Bileur and bert

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I went by Dobber Sports which has Marner at 21:17mins in 23-24, and Tkachuk at 19:09mins in 23-24.

Fair enough point about PK time, which is still ice time where one can produce, though it seems Marner only had one point short-handed last year.

Calling me a liar just looks bad on you.
You're correct, I apologize.

Marner actually played more PK time than I thought.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Ok let’s not be ridiculous. Tkachuk can’t put up 90+ points and 65+ assists a year. Having said that he probably also won’t lay eggs in a series like Marner, he could considering he can’t even make it, but his style should be effective when he does.

Tkachuk is a beast of a power forward and good for ~75 points a year, that is incredibly valuable, but we are comparing different type of players so they have their own strengths and weaknesses
Marner career playoffs: 0.88 Points/game
Brady Tkachuk last year: 0.91 points/game

Tkachuk isn't lacking in the puck skills department, and definitely has the better shot over Marner. Tkachuk should hit 40 goals this year.

Tkachuk is actually a very underrated passer and is typically the guy setting up his teammates on his line with Stutzle and Giroux. Sure, Tkachuk might not have the "dipsy-doodles" that Marner demonstrates, but I find those are more flash than actual results with Marner, and he routinely flubs them when it comes to actually burying the puck. Tkachuk isn't lacking in the ability to deke someone out of their joke strap either mind you.

Marner plays an extra two minutes per game over Tkachuk, which definitely helps with Marner's point totals. All the while too Marner has been playing on a (much) stronger team over the course of their respective careers, so I'm not putting that much weight into the discrepancy between their point totals, at least, over the last couple of years.

Is Marner more creative? Sure, but I don't know how much it actually benefits his effectiveness. It sure feels like he is a little TOO creative out there half the time, and that it impacts his chemistry with his linemates.
Brady Tkachuk has literally been one of the least efficient shooters in hockey over his career.

224 xgoals turned into just 162 actual goals. (marner is 169 xgoals turned into 194 actual goals), as well as marner being a career 13% shooter vs career 9% shooter for tkachuk

Reactions: Voight

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Brady Tkachuk has literally been one of the least efficient shooters in hockey over his career.

224 xgoals turned into just 162 actual goals. (marner is 169 xgoals turned into 194 actual goals), as well as marner being a career 13% shooter vs career 9% shooter for tkachuk

A very good example of the limitations of xG.

Tkachuk standing in the crease slamming the puck into the goalie pads artificially inflates that value.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
A very good example of the limitations of xG.

Tkachuk standing in the crease slamming the puck into the goalie pads artificially inflates that value.
Except it's very easily noticeable if you're paying attention to the numbers

Tkachuk significantly underperforms his xgoals every year. So with him, you can tell there is clearly something up , as you have mentioned. And you would predict this to continue.

If a guy has normal results, and then all of a sudden one year vastly overperforms or vastly underperforms his xgoals number, that's the sign of generally good/back luck and you'd expect his results to return to normal.

Reactions: NyQuil

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Neutral Brady

Impossible to vote for Marner. So much uncertainty with his future. If I got to sign him - even at a rlly high number - I'd consider it. But I don't trust at all he'd resign right now so it's hard to pick him.

Marner is better player

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Tkachuk for me. Brady is younger, signed to a decent contract, and I think his play style is more effective over the course of a playoff run.

Marner regularly disappears in the playoffs

Brady may never see a playoff run (or the first round) under his current contract. He wouldn't captsin any other team.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Marner is the superior playmaker and point producer, whereas Brady dominates him in basically all other aspects of the game. Power forwards like him are more valuable in my opinion, especially when the game becomes tighter and more physical. Marner's game lives off of the space that he is allowed to have in regular season games, especially against the ~25 teams that are inferior to the Leafs.
Brady's game improves when the Sens have to punch upwards and space becomes rare.
I like Marner a lot, but power forwards have become my favorite type of players.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Hmm the better player offensively and defensively or Tkachuk?

Tkachuk is a bonafide first line winger that brings grit but there’s levels to this.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I think there’s a large number of people who just don’t have interest in Mitch Marner. Good player when it’s meaningless, but absolutely chokes under the slight bit of pressure. Dad who gets involved and thinks he’s way better than he is.

There is a reason nobody wanted to trade for him this offseason.

The correct answer to this poll is Brady Tkachuk
So Brady has never played in a meaningful game in his career?

Reactions: Voight

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I know it's easy to dunk on leafs players but i don't really see how this is close.

Even when only comparing what both have done from ages 19 to 24, it's pretty clearly Marner.

Point finishes in order of age (19-24)

Marner: 41, 39, 11, 18, 4, 10

Tkachuk: 137, 104, 89, 61, 25, 41

It took Tkachuk's 23 year old season to beat Marner's rookie season placement.

Selke finishes

Marner: 14, 33, 10, 16

Tkachuk: none

The offensive gap is pretty clear, and being generous, there is no advantage for Tkachuk defensively.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A problem with this board it seems is that people are not looking at players' ages, like if it wasn't an obvious need. It's pretty normal for a player like Tkachuk if it took until he was 23 y/o to reach another level offensively. Looking at the last 2 years overall, Marner has a whooping 9 more points than Tkachuk at Even Strength

#1. Nathan MacKinnon 153 Games, 71 EVG, 169 EVP
#2. Connor McDavid 158 Games, 63 EVG, 162 EVP
#15. Mitch Marner 149 Games, 34 EVG, 115 EVP
#22. Tim Stützle 153 Games, 43 EVG, 109 EVP
#26. Brady Tkachuk 163 Games, 49 EVG, 106 EVP

Marner is a great PPQB playmaker racking assists on the PP like a madman, but give me Tkachuk at ES.

It depends on the makeup of your team. Toronto has finesse and firepower, so Marner is more of the same. Swapping him for Tkachuk would improve their team, despite Marner being the better player. Kind of like how Chychrun wasn't a fit on Ottawa, so they traded him for an inferior player in Jensen as he is a much better fit. On the flipside, a team that has trouble scoring goals would probably benefit more from Marner distributing the puck as well as he does. He's one of the best point producers in the NHL, and while Tkachuks's skillset is more unique - Marner's isn't easy to come by either.

I think Sens fans would prefer to keep Tkachuk. I could be wrong (Leafs fans can chime in here) but I think Leafs fans would gladly swap Marner for Tkachuk. For this reason, I voted Tkachuk - but contract status plays a role and IDK if that's fiar as Marner is an upcoming UFA.

I don't know about Leafs fans but think about how FAST Toronto management would make that swap.

Age, contract status, cost, type of player, physical frame, goal scoring ability, intimidation factor, etc. Marner is a pretty good playmaker but Leafs would take Tkachuk in a heartbeat

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't see a legitimate argument for Brady.

It's not offense he's never outscored Marner.

It's not defense Marner has been up for the Selke.

It's not playoff numbers because While Marner's aren't great they at least exist.
Yet he's crushing marner in the poll. Maybe you need to try and be objective.

I think Marner is the better player but I think Brady fits whats Toronto needs more.
So does Brady in Ottawa. There aren't many teams that wouldn't want Tkachuk he's unique. Small skill forwards who wither in the playoffs are a dime a dozen. Marner is the best of this category but its the easiest asset to aquire.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I don't want Marner anywhere near my team at his caphit. His game falls off way too much in the playoffs to the point where it's become a distraction. Maybe if he was making significantly less, but at what he's currently making, I wouldn't have him on my team at all.

Brady is an unknown in the playoffs, but that's better than someone who is a guaranteed overpaid disappointment. I'll gamble with Tkachuk.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
I don't want Marner anywhere near my team at his caphit. His game falls off way too much in the playoffs to the point where it's become a distraction. Maybe if he was making significantly less, but at what he's currently making, I wouldn't have him on my team at all.

Brady is an unknown in the playoffs, but that's better than someone who is a guaranteed overpaid disappointment. I'll gamble with Tkachuk.
6 years in the league. I wonder if anyone will ever know how he performs in the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Auston Marlander

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yet he's crushing marner in the poll. Maybe you need to try and be objective.

So does Brady in Ottawa. There aren't many teams that wouldn't want Tkachuk he's unique. Small skill forwards who wither in the playoffs are a dime a dozen. Marner is the best of this category but its the easiest asset to aquire.

What is the objective argument? and no contract is not a legitimate argument, contract has nothing to do with the better player.

If it's not offense because he's never outscored Marner

And it's not defense because Marner has been up for the Selke.

And it's not playoff numbers because Brady has never been there.

What is the objective argument for Tkachuk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad